Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Mac128

Roku Remote

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:42 pm

I just found this on the App store and bought it.

So far I am well impressed.

It is just what was needed.

Thank You very much. :D

mikepa

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 am

Great product Chris. Looking forward to you having time to work on it over the Christmas hols. Especially would like to see the album track order issue sorted. Right now if I select the first song on an album it plays them all in order, but it'd be nice when it displays the songs on an album, they were in track order.

I'd like to see the volume control work a little better - I know it tracks the Roku volume right now, but 95% of the volume is adjusted in the second 50% of the scale. At mid position one can hardly hear the sound. How about a logarithmic setting that spreads the "volume" out a bit.
Regards Mike

cfourrou

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks for the effort Chris. This is just what I needed.

chris5287

Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Hey guys and gals, thanks for being so patient. Well its finally come round, I actually have spare time!!! I know, im shocked. Uni finished for 4 weeks and my project going well so I can afford to lay it rest for a few weeks. Im gonna pull the list of features/bugs for next version here (will probably do it tomorrow now) and shall get started on it next week. The main tasks I know are to fix track ordering, improve list speeds tenfold and try to include visual display and remote functions. Ill keep you posted as things progress :D

chris5287

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:14 am

Okies, heres the list im going to work off. If anyone notices anything missing let me know.

Track Ordering Fixed

List loading speed
Use sync method instead of polling Soundbridge everytime for an up-to-date list

Queue Managemnet
Adding, deleting songs to/from queue. Will hopefully get in later version

Browse by Folder/Genre

Device status in device list

Alphabetic Indexing for listing of all songs
Similar to contacts on the right hand side

More detailed lists

Saving application state
So that opening application takes you back to where you was previously

Show soundbridge display with remote buttons

Internet Radio Display
Bigger display and remember to clear lines after each change

Fix same name albums from listing all songs

Language -> Internet Radio needs to match differently

Soundbridge display on/off button

Dim display instead of staying on constantly

Intelligent Volume Control Slider

circolocofanatic

My Rokuremote cant find the soundbridge unit when started!!?

Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi guys!

Just downloaded the rokuremote but when staring up it seems that my iphone cant recognise the soundbridge.

I have the latest software installed and have tried to unplug the soundbridge unit completely...

do i have to be on my home wifi for it to work or should it be able to run anyway?

Please help, dont know what to do....

Rello

Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 pm

can you enter the ip manually and connect then?

for some reasons the auto-search also does not work for me anymore since some days. but the manual connect does

circolocofanatic

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:05 am

Rello wrote:

for some reasons the auto-search also does not work for me anymore since some days. but the manual connect does

No im afraid i cant... cant connect it says...

do i have to be on wifi or is it enough with 3g coverage? somehow my iphone doesnt want to connect with my wireless modem... the soundbridge works just fine and my computer as well but it doesnt seem to let my iphone get on the network...

is there a setting in my iphone that needs to be changed? seems strange that both my mac and my soundbridge can get online but my iphone cant?

anyone?

chris5287

Re: ...

Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:43 am

circolocofanatic wrote:
Rello wrote:

No im afraid i cant... cant connect it says...

do i have to be on wifi or is it enough with 3g coverage? somehow my iphone doesnt want to connect with my wireless modem... the soundbridge works just fine and my computer as well but it doesnt seem to let my iphone get on the network...

is there a setting in my iphone that needs to be changed? seems strange that both my mac and my soundbridge can get online but my iphone cant?

anyone?

You iPod Touch/iPhone has to be on your wifi for it to connect to your SoundBridge, as this is where the SoundBridge is also connected. You will not be able to find the SoundBridge on your celluar network connection.

A few people have been noticing that the SoundBridge disappears from the Discovered Devices section after a while. Im not quite sure why, but the SoundBridge's seem to stop broadcasting on Bonjour, the easiest fix seems to be powering off the SoundBridge and then turning it back on again.

g0pkh

Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:27 am

Hi.

I cant use this application on my iPhone either.
Although my Wi-Fi signal is excellent on the phone, I get repeated
network disconnections. So much that I can't use the app.

I wonder if there is an issue with the way the iPhone uses Wi-Fi
compared to the iPod Touch.

I don't have an iPod Touch to compare it with alas.

Such a pity as it could be excellent. :cry:

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

chris5287

Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:38 am

Sorry guys if I go quiet over the next few days, we've just had a family bereavement and im in no fit state to code.

blubalu

Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 pm

chris5287 wrote:
Sorry guys if I go quiet over the next few days, we've just had a family bereavement and im in no fit state to code.

Hello Chris, sorry to read this.

Just discovered your app while browsing the app store and the roku forums. I bought the app and am synching it to my iPhone as I'm writing.

I'll share my thoughts after some time of using it.

tsparc

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:42 pm

First of all I'm sorry to hear about your loss Chris.

This is just and FYI - I have been using this with Twonky Media Server 4.4.6 and 4.4.9 without problems. I have a M1001 and R1000 on 3.0.52.

In my case Twonky is embedded on my NAS (QNAP TS109 Pro II 1TB). But you can also download and install on a PC. I use Twonky because it also has DivX, Xvid, Mp4 streaming for my other devices.

tjkolev

RokuRemote feedback

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Hello Chris,

My condolences about your loss.

I got version 1.1 of the application running on 2G iPod Touch, latest software. Awesome work! I have a few comments.

(1) This seems a bug. I browse my artist list. Then I select an item, say U2. What I get on the next screens are all my albums, not just U2's - screen is exactly the same as if I had selected to browse Albums. Am I doing something wrong?

(2) I don't have a small library, 350+ artists, 16000+ tracks. Have you seen Apple's Remote for iTunes? Instead of the slim scroll bar on the right of the list, they put a column of all the letters. Sort of like a tabbed index, but without any visual tabbed UI. Once on the list page, I can tap on P and I go the the P artists right away. Or within a letter, as they letters a tiny. :) Anyway, I find it convenient. I'd be happy if you do something like that. I tried dragging the slim scroll bar, but that didn't respond.

(3) When the RokuRemote is the foreground application, the Touch does not lock or turn off the screen. Is that by design?

(4) Lyrics - bravo!!!

(5) Can I change the icon for the app? I'd like an m500 on it. :D

(6) This is network FYI. I have two m500 streaming wirelessly (.11b) off a FireFly server running on Ubuntu. The m500-s are on a different subnet, firewalled by SmoothWall box from the secure subnet to which the FireFly and the Touch are connected. The RokuRemote discovered the two m500-s and is controlling them just fine.

Thank you for the nice application.
tjk :)

fuggly

Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:00 pm

chris5287 wrote:

Hi Chris

First, let me state I'm sorry to hear about your losses! Take your time there!
Second.. jesus... this is exactly the app I wanted to write myself for a long time already but never got my lazy ass to do it. It works like a charm, is great and I'm so glad YOU did it and not myself (my gf would have killed me spending lots of hours on it).
However.. there's one minor thing that could be maybe enhanced: The loading times for the lists are kinda slow. This is not due to your coding, but I guess you always fetch the server data freshly so it takes time to transport. An idea to kinda speed this up could be to write the data, as soon as you have it, to a sqlite DB and, on next start, display the sqlite data, so basically, to cache the data. Then, when you have a DB already and can display the data from the DB, you could use a background thread to update the DB so that it would be current again. This would need to include a DB for all artists, all albums, all songs by album, etc. so it might be about 8 tables or so. But it should enhance the speed of the list setup greatly. It would take a while until change in the lists would propagate from the background thread back into the list, but I guess one could live with that :-)
Especially when you have larger music lists (I have about 30'000 songs), it would enhance it greatly.

However.. even without such (or other) changes, its probably the best application I ever downloaded from the Appstore and the like 1.80£ or so price tag is nothing compared to what I earn using it with! Great work, really great work!!

Fuggs