Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

chris5287

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:34 am

habitoti wrote:
yeah -- BUT:

For now I am not too excited. When starting up it shows all entries (Artists, Albums, ...) with the info that it needs to be synchronized. So I click on Artists and it starts loading, then it starts some sync and needs 2 seconds per entry . (

Synchronisation works by:
- Pulling a list of artists and then loading that artists albums/songs
- Pulling a list of genres and then loading albums associated with that genre

Each artist should be taking milliseconds to pull the lists, could I ask how far you are away from your wireless router. If you are not close, the best thing to do is stand next to it while you sync. If there is an issue with the ipod switching off due to the inactivity period, the next update can include a lock to stop sleep during the sync process, but it should continue to sync once the ipod comes out of sleep.

Once a sync is complete, you wont need to do this again until you alter your library.

EDIT: Also, syncing only applies to artist, album and genre. Containers, keyword search and playlists are always pulled direct from the roku each time.

habitoti

Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 am

I have excellent WiFi coverage and download speed in general is w/o issues (I have a 50MBit WiFi router and full reception). In the previous version, download speed was never my concern (I was merely looking for a fix for the sort issue and the alphabetical index...).
But the additional activities per artist now are so slow that I cannot work with it at all :(
Couldn't you just cache whatever I downloaded once? Then it would be fast next time. Over time, I usually only access 5-10% at most of all the stuff I have (but often the same again and again). Synchronizing everything is really quite a waste of upfront activity. And definitely does not work for me now...

growers

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks for the update:D

My artist sync runs at about 3 per second, so it takes a couple of minutes to sync my collection of 350 artists.

After the sync I started playing random tracks to download the album art, thinking that eventually I would have art for every album. However:
1. After playing a track for which no artwork is found all subsequent tracks do not grab artwork (you have to go out of the remote screen and back again to fix this).
2. I was pleased to find that downloaded album art is persistent after power cyles etc. However, after doing another sync all the art disappeared. So at the rate I add new music to my server I'll never have more than about 5% of albums with art at any one time.
3. You might have explained previously, but what's the issue with checking for folder.jpg on the server before downloading art from the net?

Duncan

growers

Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:25 am

PS Love the new landscape remote screen - very cool 8)

habitoti

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Back home I connected my iPod to power plug, and the sync then continued even when the iPod switched off. It took 25 minutes for my whole collection to be synced, but then browsing really works like a charme. Some comments, though -- maybe just about my personal preferences:
  • The fonts in the lists are sized depending on length of texts (to fit completely, if possible). That makes listings look pretty cluttered by using multiple different font sizes within the same list with texts of different lengths. I would still prefer the same behaviour as in Apples standard music library listings, i.e. simply cut off with an elipses and retain unified font sizes (maybe at least as an option?)
  • When most of the albums don't have covers (yet), the soundbridge icon is simply too dominant and looks boring when all lists show it in front of the items. It should either be no image then, or a very light grey soundbridge only to be less visual noisy.
  • I would like to be able to add a complete album to the queue
  • Adding a track to the queue is too unresponsive. You simply have no feedback whether or not the track was actually added after pushing the +. Maybe there should simply be no + any longer when a song was added. I would ignore the 0.00001% case were somebody would want to add it multiple times.

tonyglover

Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Chris - awesome upgrade to the app! Thanks very much!
Just remember, for every wingeing comment here, there are countless contented others...
Keep up the top work, looking forward to the next update!

chris5287

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm

tonyglover wrote:
Chris - awesome upgrade to the app! Thanks very much!
Just remember, for every wingeing comment here, there are countless contented others...
Keep up the top work, looking forward to the next update!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! However I always want constructive feedback as this can point out obvious mistakes/features that I have missed

Things for v2.1 so far are:
- switching volume + and - on the landscape remote as hci for this is backwards (:D)
- background download of artwork after sync (:D)
- move to lyricsfly.com for better database, also including background downloading (:D)
- sync on fly option (caching really) (:D)
- look into bug that artwork is being lost during resync (:D)
- option to disable fitToSize of long text on screen (:D)
- disable sleep mode during sync and better recovery from failed syncs (:D)
- additional feedback of track adding for ipod's that don't vibration (:D)
- composer support/compilations held together through album (:D)
- add search/alphabetic indexing to container lists (:D)

To answer other queries:
- when you add a song to the queue the iPhone should vibrate as feedback, this was done instead of displaying a message as a message can become very iratating
- artwork from folders/file tags are not possible as app talks to roku device only, not the music server at any point. The api does not provide any features to get this data unless someone can prove this to me then I would be very happy to implement the code
Last edited by chris5287 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.

g12345

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 am

Just wanted to endorse the positive comments and add my appreciation!

Thanks for all your hard work on this - it really is a great tool and will ensure I keep on using my Soundbridges for as long as they keep going :)

I am really pleased the track ordering works correctly on my system (Qnap TS-109 running Twonky) now, the app also seems to start and run with much more stability than the previous version.

I had still mostly been using a Pocket PC with VisualMR, but I can see that I'll now be using this app a great deal !! Thank you.

habitoti

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 am

chris5287 wrote:
Thanks for the vote of confidence! However I always want constructive feedback as this can point out obvious mistakes/features that I have missed

Don't get me wrong: I really like it much better now (after the sync is completed) -- just added my comments to potentially make it even better...
- when you add a song to the queue the iPhone should vibrate as feedback, this was done instead of displaying a message as a message can become very iratating

iPod has no vibration, though...so I get no response at all. So I would still go for removing the '+' or change it to a '-' (to remove it from queue, if this is supported at all). Or disable the '+' (grey it out).

chris5287

Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:34 am

habitoti wrote:
iPod has no vibration, though...so I get no response at all. So I would still go for removing the '+' or change it to a '-' (to remove it from queue, if this is supported at all). Or disable the '+' (grey it out).

Gah! obvious mistake, I shall look at adding more feedback in v2.1 for ipoders, im thinking maybe altering the text color grey for a few secs?

HarryDymond

Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:49 am

chris5287 wrote:
habitoti wrote:

Gah! obvious mistake, I shall look at adding more feedback in v2.1 for ipoders, im thinking maybe altering the text color grey for a few secs?

How about pulsating or flashing the "+" button?

BeeJay

Plus Sign???

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for this new version, my Pinnacle Soundbridge appears to be working now with my FreeNAS Server which uses MediaTomb, however, I don't see this + sign that everyone mentions, so I can't add any songs or albums to an existing queue? I'm using an iPod Touch with OS 3.1.2

As for adding songs to play, the only way I can get an album to play is to go into that album & select the first track, then the whole album is added to the queue. Why can't I just select the album title or multiple albums to play?

Thanks again.

frml

Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:58 am

I get no artwork
Can I do anything to get this - is use itunes

chris5287

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:29 am

frml wrote:
I get no artwork
Can I do anything to get this - is use itunes

You need an internet connection to be able to get album artwork

chris5287

Re: Plus Sign???

Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 am

BeeJay wrote:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this new version, my Pinnacle Soundbridge appears to be working now with my FreeNAS Server which uses MediaTomb, however, I don't see this + sign that everyone mentions, so I can't add any songs or albums to an existing queue? I'm using an iPod Touch with OS 3.1.2

As for adding songs to play, the only way I can get an album to play is to go into that album & select the first track, then the whole album is added to the queue. Why can't I just select the album title or multiple albums to play?

Thanks again.

This is due to the Roku API limitation for container support. It is impossible to tell whether a file is a song or folder when it is listed from the server. Are you able to add an album to the queue on the roku directly? I use firefly and so dont get any container support so it has been difficult for me to code and test this.