Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

illiac4
Topic Author

Sorry to say that, but......

Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:41 am

Roku products are very good but Roku support is getting shitty. WTF this topic 'Feature Request' brings?????

Well to be honest NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

You are not developing anymore and you products are getting unstable. Do release source code so community can develop instead of you!!!

For example there is no mp3 forward/backward for years now, no bass, treble, balance.... no weather forecast, no power off for wi-fi or. optical fiber no nothing no last.FM support or. anything new. Well ok you have bring Radio Roku service out but well it is not stable at all and not fixing this service to be bullet-proof is a shame. Come on but three day 'Error connecting to mysql' is a shame for business!!!!!!!!!!!

I have four of your products but i relay on my service (NSLU2) which is much more stable then yours is (at least for me).

Sorry to say that, but get out of business or. sell yourself or. release source-code!!!!!!!!!!!!

mas

Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:38 pm

Very unlikely to happen. They certainly had to sign a NDA when they were allowed to built in DAAP support for all Roku sold machines (which do support DAAP and RSP, unlike the only RSP supporting Pinnacle versions).

Now with source-code in free hands that limitation would be soon gone, as there is only one firmware for both versions. 8-)

Thus wont happen. You will have to DL and decompile the firmware to get some sort of source-code.

I agree it would certainly be beneficial in the meantime for the SB users, if the source code was released. Seeing that there is no development any more on them nowadays...

But as I said, unless someone takes the time to hack the FW, that wont happen.
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:08 am

It hasn`t been said yet, and it needs to be so I`ll say it.

The Soundbridge firmware is Intellectual property, owned by Roku. What they do or don`t do with it is up to them and nobody else.

Reverse engineering and/or distributing someone else`s intellectual property without their permission is theft. Please don`t discuss it in these forums.

I would apprecaite it if Lyndon or other could lock this thread.

Thank you.

1-UP

Re: Sorry to say that, but......

Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:43 am

Long time listener, first time caller...

Products are unstable? Which ones? They seem more stable now then they ever were. I have one SB which is a M2000 that I bought on eBay a couple years back and when I first got it, it was a resettting pig! Now it is almost bullet proof. Do you run a lot of betas? Could your personal network has issues?

It's also been pointed out that you can not do the FF/RW dealio since it's a live stream (or something like that) that Mike guy that use to work here pointed that out)) something about buffering(I think)... Perhaps if it ran off it's own server like SqueezeCenter it could have that; but enough people bi*ch about being tied to radioroku, could you imagine what they would do if they had to run some stupid server on their PC or NAS to use the radio and such? Does anyone know if UPnP servers support FF/RW?

I do wish they had a dedicated SB engineer, or if they do, that he/she would post in this forum.

Peace out...

illiac4 wrote:
You are not developing anymore and you products are getting unstable.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:22 am

Please don`t feed the trolls. The OP`s comments are simply famebait, and not a genuine request for support.

1-UP

Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:19 am

collett_steve@hotmail.com wrote:
Please don`t feed the trolls. The OP`s comments are simply famebait, and not a genuine request for support.

Sorry, still new at this (posting on user forums)...
I know what a troll is, what is an OP?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:48 am

OP=Original Poster :wink:

HarryDymond

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:08 am

collett_steve@hotmail.com wrote:

I don't agree.

He had plenty of valid points.

What was the point of creating this forum? Roku have implemented next to none of the requests. Still to this day there are issues with originally-advertised functionality (audible noise from upsampling on M1001 devices, poor AAC codec that won't play all AACs that play fine on all other devices I've tried [Roku have acknowledged the bug but explicitly told me not to expect a fix anytime soon], poor handling of low-signal conditions [there's a bug in the rebuffering code that means that sometimes it just doesn't bother trying to rebuffer and just skips to the next track], bug in time-zone code [some 32bit number somewhere in the code that over-flows after the SoundBridge has been "up" for a long time, can't get correct time back without a reboot]) and issues with functionality that has been added (poor Apple Lossless codec, very poor (at times) Radio Roku service).

I'm very disappointed with Roku's attitude towards their older products; it's clear that they are doing the same to the SoundBridge that they did to the PhotoBridge - they've got a new toy to play with (in this case the Netflix box) and don't give a flying f**k about any of their previous customers. I certainly won't be buying anything from Roku or recommending them to others unless something changes in respect of support for older products.
Last edited by HarryDymond on Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdc1947

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:47 am

The self-opinionated bigoted comments already posted in this topic by ‘a certain gentleman from Sunny Devon’ has no place in a free-speaking society – The views expressed herein by illiac4 and others are now (regrettably, but justifiably) also shared by many other long-term users of the Soundbridge, and there is no doubt in my mind that RokuLabs have brought this situation upon themselves by their failure to secure the services of a dedicated engineer to respond to support-questions raised in these forums.

That coupled with the lack of any development in the last year does not bode well for the future of this product line. Those of us who remember Mike Kobb know only too well just how badly the standards of support have deteriorated since he left the company.

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:10 am

jdc1947 wrote:
The self-opinionated bigoted comments already posted in this topic by ‘a certain gentleman from Sunny Devon’ has no place in a free-speaking society

Well someone`s certainly got their knickers in a twist! :lol: :lol:

Seriously mate, chill out and read the first part of your post again. Then realise how foolish you sound.

We`re not going to agree on the ongoing support discussion. Its clear that some are not happy with the situation. Others are fine (or don`t really care). Neither of us have the numbers on either side. Lets just agree to dissagree. As you pointed out, we are in a free-speaking society :wink:

XIONGYAN1

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Hello to everyone.I'm new to this forum .I heard goods things about it..

mas

Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:45 am

The forum is good and sometimes quite helpful. Dont expect much from Roku any more though for this product.

I also say it sadly but posting feature requests is kind of useless nowadays. And theres little chance someone "frees" the sourcecode so this goes nowhere.

batka

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Yes, it's sad to see but indeed the forum and the Soundbridge seems to be dead.
And it's very weird that anyone from the staff don't even post a single comment about anything. It would be nice if they would just post a sentence that everybody should be patient, or anything. Whatever small post, but they should state something.

mas

Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:57 pm

That would be a great development and I am sure there would be people gladly picking it up and improving the firmware. We'd see a rush in activity for sure.

But the articles sadly sound as if this concerns only the Netflix player and possibly also not the full firmware...