Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

socalav
Topic Author

TOSLINK output

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 am

Has there been a change in the operation of the Toslink output? I find that my M1001 Toslink out is still active when the unit is "off". I am using a receiver with dedicated digital inputs, and sharing the CD toslink and coax inputs with a CD player..

Before, by turning off the Roku, the receiver automatically sensed the CD player.

It no longer does this, and I have found now that the Roku's Toslink is active when even when unit is shut off.

Can this behaviour be changed?
Thanks
Eric

jtbse

Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:21 pm

Hmm...

Nope, I think the digital outputs have always behaved in this way (much to the dismay of many Roku customers).

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=2298

and

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4485

Leaves me somewhat curious why your experience was different before??
Maxtor 500GB USB->Linksys NSLU2 Unslung->Firefly svn-1696 * M1000->Onkyo TXSR502->Boston Acoustics front, Audiosource surrounds and sub * M500->Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

S80_UK

Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

jtbse is correct. It has always been this way. We have complained many times in the past to Roku about it, but without success.

The only thing I can suggest is that either you had some rogue experimental firmware which did turn the output off, and you perhaps updated to a "standard" firmware... or maybe your receiver has a smart feature where it actually detects whether there is anything meaningful on the S/PDIF signal and perhaps that feature has somehow been disabled. (I never heard of receivers doing that but I guess it's not impossible.)
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i