Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuPatrick

Hardware Feature Requests

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:08 am

If you have a request for the SoundBridge that would require hardware changes (eg buttons on the remote, different audio outputs, etc), please post them here. Obviously, merely requesting them does not mean that they will be implemented, but we are very interested in what our customers want.

Bear

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Make the Remote easier to read in the dark.

Backlight the buttons, possibly the same way cell phones do.
-----Bear

kleinerp

Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:03 am

802.11g and WPA

mcfh

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:38 am

That extra 8th of an inch or whatever to allow better quality cables (both Cat5 and digital audio) to connect easily without breaking the endcaps

temita2

WPA

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:15 am

Please add WPA support.
(Not exatly hardware related, but anyway)

spl23

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:02 am

I'd really like to see some hardware buttons on the device itself - if you are standing next to the hi-fi rack, it's a bit of a pain to have to walk over and find the remote to turn on the SB and start it playing. Ideally, a full set of transport and cursor controls, but as a bare minimum, a power/standby button and play/pause would be good.

onewell

D/A clock precision

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:42 pm

Tighter tolerance on the D/A clock source would be nice, to reduce inter-device clock drift when doing synchronized playbacks.
(Currently 50ms drift per 1/2 hour for my 2 units)

-Oliver
What, me worry?

carman63

Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:41 am

- 802.11g
- Hardware buttons (power, previous / next songs at a minimum)

grommet

At least one button for me...

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:55 pm

In a future product, I'd like to at least have a physical reset button. It can be dual use (standby on/off & hard reset if held-down.) After a hard crash (like the out of memory lockup), I often need to pull the power cord... which isn't that easy to get to in my environment.

Saul

Case changes

Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:57 pm

If you get room could you add a tunnel on the inside the SoundBridge so that cables could be re-routed out the other end. That or a access panel in the back center.

Wireless is great but I still have the power and digital coax to deal with.

Another good thing would be a 12v trigger output or input.

Saul

Burkhardi

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:04 pm

Bear wrote:

On that same note, on the select button in the middle of the 4 way, add a little bump to it like some cell phones have on their #5 button so you can get your bearings. If I could feel where the select button was, I could map of that in the dark.

Bear

Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:06 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Bear wrote:

On that same note, on the select button in the middle of the 4 way, add a little bump to it like some cell phones have on their #5 button so you can get your bearings. If I could feel where the select button was, I could map of that in the dark.
Actually a few buttons should have some texture to them. Select... Play... and maybe one or two others.
-----Bear

Cragar

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:23 am

A full color LCD screen to display album art :D

A remote with color LCD screen that can control soundbridge from any room

M5000 maybe

8)

rem

Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:58 pm

That extra 8th of an inch or whatever to allow better quality cables (both Cat5 and digital audio) to connect easily without breaking the endcaps

this should be and easy one to implement...and one that works with existing soundbridges.

re-design the end caps to be longer, possibly 3/4" to 1" longer, keeping everything else the same. that way, no more severely bent network cables and audio cables at the point of connection.

incorporate the new end caps into future soundbridges, and you can still sell them as accessories to owners of current soundbridges.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

Peter Jarrett

Active Speakers

Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:03 am

Following on from Saul's suggestion,

What about a pair of speakers built to match the main Soundbridge body. One would be active and the other passive.

These would click onto the roku chassis exactly the same way the end caps do at the moment so you just pull off the ends and hook these on instead.

The active one would sit on the same end that the power goes into the roku so you would plug the roku power supply into it instead, and then use a small link cable to then daisy chain onto the Roku itself. In the meantime, the output from the Roku obviously gets plugged into the active speaker with another pair of short link cables.

Finally, the cable run at the back is used to hide the wire (or you could build this link into the chassis anyway) that goes to the other speaker.

Now, granted the PSU that runs the roku might not be capable of powering much in the way of an amp, but it needn't be too big and it would mean I could by a 500 for my Kitchen :)

(I guess a bigger psu could come in the box with the new Active Speakers!)

PS - This is where I click submit and twig someone else has already suggested this - sorry!

PPS - If you go for this idea, I want some commission :D (or other form of kickback!)
Last edited by Peter Jarrett on Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.