Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DavesNotHereMan

Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:22 am

spl23 wrote:
I'd really like to see some hardware buttons on the device itself - if you are standing next to the hi-fi rack, it's a bit of a pain to have to walk over and find the remote to turn on the SB and start it playing. Ideally, a full set of transport and cursor controls, but as a bare minimum, a power/standby button and play/pause would be good.

Agree with this - but you're going to have to put a number of buttons on there to make it more than marginally useful.

Put just the "Power" button on and have it auto-play the last selection is one option.
    Power, Play and an Up and Down button are another option - have to make Up and Down accelerate (so they'll be at all useful scrolling through hundreds/thousands of entries), and make "Play" double as "OK" and "Power" double as exit.
    Next stop on the scale: add the 4-way arrows.
    More than that? You about need the full set of keys.

gdude

Shared hard drives

Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:35 am

This is a mixed hardware/software request.

1. Ability to access mp3s stored on shared network drives, without need for iTunes/WMC/whatever server running over it. That way you can store your entire CD collection on a network hard drive, without needing to have a computer turned on at all times.

2. Adding a USB port to the Soundbridge itself where you can directly connect and play mp3s stored on USB memorysticks or hard drives. Ideally, the Soundbridge would even share this drive over the WLAN, making it accessible to other PCs on the network as well. Again, this would allow you to have your entire CD collection accessible at all time, without having a PC turned on.

3. When you're adding USB ports anyway, how about adding print server functionality? Or am I pushing it now? ;-)

gaucho

Better brightness control

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:16 pm

I know the Soundbridge already has brightness control for the display but I only use the softest setting, even in daylight. At night, in relative darkness the display is still way too bright for me. Other devices in my rack (receiver, dvd) can dim their display better than the Roku.

A small wish for an otherwise great player!

RokuPatrick

Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:43 pm

FYI, the R1000 (SoundBridge Radio) and M1001 (the phased-in M1000 replacement) both have some display-related hardware changes that will allow them to go much dimmer than other units.

Powersg

Direct access remote buttons

Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:41 pm

Would like to see 4 or 5 buttons on the remote that can be programed for direct access to Playlist, radio station, or album. This would make the unit idiot proof, for kids and wife etc...

Emjay

Built-in Wireless 802.11g Support

Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:20 pm

I'm aware of many work arounds, but for me, built-in wireless 802.11g support is the major issue keeping me from a purchase of your great product.javascript:emoticon(':(')
Sad

WeeboTech

Hardware Buttons.

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:58 pm

I'd really like to see some hardware buttons on the device itself - if you are standing next to the hi-fi rack, it's a bit of a pain to have to walk over and find the remote to turn on the SB and start it playing. Ideally, a full set of transport and cursor controls, but as a bare minimum, a power/standby button and play/pause would be good.

I'll vote for this too.

It was one of the features I loved about my audiotron.
I loved that knob. It let me navigate through my collection at a rapid pace.
I hardly ever used the remote as it's position was so readily available.
(boy do I miss that interface).

headphone jack ?

I have my M1000 near my bed.

Adding a USB port to the Soundbridge itself where you can directly connect and play mp3s stored on USB hard drives.

I wish my HD1000 did this.. and it already has a USB port.

cosmo

New Remote

Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:53 am

I would like to have a new remote control with alphanumerical buttons like a cellphone. This would make it much easier to perform a search as I think it's very annoying to scroll through the whole alphabet with the arrow buttons.
A preset button would also be nice, so you could access the presets directly by entering a number and pressing that button.
Oh and a Stop button would be cool too :wink:

And of course I want WPA support !!! But that's another topic I guess... 8)

dtaylorus

Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:25 pm

Bluetooth.

I'd like to be able to control the SoundBridge with my SmartPhone as a remote using its Bluetooth radio.

Ideally, I could use RCP/UPnP over the Bluetooth connection for a remote that lets me see what's playing, browse the music library, and choose songs to play.

It would also be nice if the remote that comes with the unit used Bluetooth so I wouldn't have to point it at the device.

Alternatively, if the device had USB ports on the back that allowed me to addon a Bluetooth radio as an option, that would be acceptable (not as cool, but acceptable).

Saul

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:46 pm

How about new IR codes for the presets in 2.5? A,B,C and 1-6. Those of us with programable universal remotes could use it now, figure out what really works, then Roku can come out with a new remote later?

RokuPatrick

Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Saul wrote:
How about new IR codes for the presets in 2.5? A,B,C and 1-6. Those of us with programable universal remotes could use it now, figure out what really works, then Roku can come out with a new remote later?

Not a bad suggestion at all ;)

PaulH

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:24 am

Modify the bottom of the remote control so that it doesn't rock back and forth when you put it down on a hard surface.

Paul
Streaming Stick owner since Apr 24, 2014
M1001 owner since Jan 30, 2006

Per Stromgren

Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:50 am

PaulH wrote:
Modify the bottom of the remote control so that it doesn't rock back and forth when you put it down on a hard surface.

Paul, I would humbly vote against that, at least if you mean to make it look like any other of the remotes laying around in the house. I think that this tiny remote has a nice form, looking a little bit different than most. It fits in my hand, too.

Per.

mosleyh

Have one SB control another

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:54 pm

OK, this may be a bit "out there" as far as requests go, but here goes.

I would like to be able to configure a Soundbridge to control another. By that I mean it would show the same display, and relay IR commands to it.

Here's my application:

I have an M2000 on my main stereo, which has remote speakers in the kitchen, den and on the deck. I know that there are control solutions for PPC and laptops, but I'd like to be able to put an additional M1000 in any of these places that acts as a "control bridge" for the M2000 that's really controlling the music. It would be a transparent experience for anyone using it.

Also, the SB is an interface that my wife is comfortable with already, so WAF (wife acceptance factor) is built-in. The pocket PC and the laptop scare her. :shock:

I hope that's clear. I would think it is do-able, but I could be wrong.

PaulH

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:46 am

Per Stromgren wrote:
Paul, I would humbly vote against that, at least if you mean to make it look like any other of the remotes laying around in the house. I think that this tiny remote has a nice form, looking a little bit different than most. It fits in my hand, too.

Per.

Hi Per. I agree with you that the shape and handling of the remote are good. I think that I would prefer a subtle modification to the bottom of the remote, to perhaps make it a little less round on the bottom. Or maybe a simple change to the two small 'bumps' on the bottom (near the front) so that they hold the remote steady when it's placed on the coffee table. No need for anything dramatic.

Paul

PS: FWIW, I've programmed my MX-500 universal remote to control the SoundBridge.
Streaming Stick owner since Apr 24, 2014
M1001 owner since Jan 30, 2006