Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuPatrick

User Interface Feature Requests

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:12 am

If you have a request that would result in user interface changes, and does not fit in one of the other feature request categories, please post it here. Examples would include asking for wrapping menus, different fonts, etc. Remember, although we are very interested in what our customers would like to see in a product, we obviously can't, and won't, commit to features based just on requests here.

Bear

This should be a simple request:

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:17 pm

An easy way to reboot a SoundBridge without having to pull the power cord.
-----Bear

gordo

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:21 pm

use the iTunes compilations flag to avoid filling the Artist list with tons of one song artists.

Bear

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:25 pm

Have the clock as one of the visualizers.

When the visualizer is not the full screen one, allow the option to display only the time - or possibly allow a different format for the date/time display in the visualizer. (Different from the standby display.)
-----Bear

grommet

"Album Artist" isn't always your friend...

Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:41 pm

Using WMC/UPnP, when the "Album Artist" metadata is defined on a track... the actual song's "Artist" (performer) metadata should be available via "Get Info" or displayed on the Now Playing screen. On compilation or equivalent tracks, SoundBridge only shows a less than useful "Various Artists", "Original Broadway Soundtrack", etc. (Album Artist metadata) in the Artist display. Using Album Artist is great for browsing/sorting, but not always so great for playing.

[update 10/18: previous is fixed in WMC 2.0]

Also, as mentioned numerous times previously... a "Browse Album Artists" function for WMC/UPnP that would only browse "Album Artists" (upnp:artist role="AlbumArtist"?) would be an excellent addition. SoundBridge's "Browse Artists" with WMC currently lists all artist related metadata (Performer/Artist, Album Artist, Original Artist, Conductor) and can be a bit overwhelming. "Browse Album Artists" would be closer to browsing through your physical CD collection.
Last edited by grommet on Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RokuPatrick

Re: This should be a simple request:

Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:37 am

Bear wrote:
An easy way to reboot a SoundBridge without having to pull the power cord.

That exists in 2.3. System Configuration->Restart SoundBridge.

mcfh

Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:16 am

Might as well make these official:

Fastforward/Rewind - Although I understand that that is not as easy as it sounds

Wrapping Menus

Resuming where you leave off at Standby/Restart

spl23

Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:59 am

Two requests from me:

1) The ability to turn the display off altogether while the SB is playing, maybe with it coming on again on a timeout whenever a button is pressed on the remote.

2) Direct alphanumeric buttons added to the remote protocol for searching and browsing - no need to change the handset itself, as I can use my Pronto with the new codes. A-Z would be great, but 0-9 with multitap or predicitive text would be just as good.

Do those, and the SB becomes nigh-on perfect as far as I'm concerned. (The fact that I can think of only two possible improvements suggests it's already an excellent bit of kit!)

rem

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:39 am

Might as well make these official:

Fastforward/Rewind - Although I understand that that is not as easy as it sounds

Wrapping Menus

Resuming where you leave off at Standby/Restart

i whole-heartedly second the request for these three features.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

geespot

Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:54 am

The ability to choose what is displayed from the track tags. I just want song title and Artist, do not care about album name, year, etc.

wideasleep1

Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:34 pm

Another vote for Artist-Album..I have it thru Twonky, but only after many button presses to get server containers.

Oh, and web interface control, similar to Slimserver or Cidero..but y'all knew this already! ;)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

grommet

Browse the rest of the album?

Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:07 pm

The ability to "Browse (the rest of the) Album" on-demand. There are numerous cases where I want to see/play the rest of the tracks on a specific album/CD, but can't easily do it due to the very specific nature of my artist browse or search.

Maybe something like a "Browse Full Album" option in addition to "Get Song Info" when you press Select while in the Now Playing display... and in other select GUI locations.

conger

Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:37 am

A Clean Display mode where only the track playing text information is displayed across the whole width of the screen. Too much valuable display area is used up to display the current progress bar, shuffle, repeat status and time display. While this information van be useful, I would think that most users would prefer a full width text display with the progress bar, etc visible as a Display option or in the Now Playing funstion.

This dispayed information is totally redundant anyway when playing radio stations.

Also some basic filtering of radio information text displayed would be useful. I am not sure that we need to see a long scrolling message that includes HTTP//:www.RADIOSTATIONNAME.com in the text.
XP SP2, Linksys WRT54G wired configuration, SB M1000, iTunes 6.0.0.18 for main mp3 music and playlist server, SlimServer 6.0.2 with modified Slim.exe by bpa, AlienBBC 0.98, Mplayer 1.0pre6 for BBC radio. NAV2003 Prof, standard XP firewall.

macollin

Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:58 am

This definitely would have been beneficial to me this weekend:

I would like ability to see what track number is playing out of how many total. In other words, if I select to play the entirety of a 12 track album, the first song would start playing and the display would show "1/12" along with all of the other detail that shows on the screen. This is especially helpful when dealing with playlists where you don't know which song is the final song. This way you know exactly when the final song is and when new tracks should be added.

adrianr

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:53 pm

1. To have the browse function remember where I was before I started playing the last track. With over 7500 tracks by more than 350 artists in my collection, it is a real pain having to start at 'A' (well, '13' actually!) every time, when all I want to do is change album by the same artist. Also, I think I am not playing artists at the 'Z' end of the alphabet nearly as much as I should!

*EDIT* I forgot to add that the logical method for the above would be to press 'exit' on the remote during playback, and thus see the song title in the browser file tree.

2. I dream of fast-forward, even if in a 'clunky' fashion. Otherwise, I will have to edit all those annoying 'secret tracks' where there is ten minutes of silence between songs. Very tedious.

Thanks
Last edited by adrianr on Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.