Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beeka

Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:25 pm

txjim wrote:
rteichman wrote:
Web control should have all the functionality of the IR remote / unit display (text only)

Totally agree with this. Can't see the display from where I sit, web browser control would be helpful and a unique feature.

You could try the Java remote control (in the "Control and Integration" forum here). It would be nice if something like this were available from the web interface.

Steve.

BTW: I think it is v. cool that Roku have provided an interface which makes the remote possible at all.

davy_gravy

WEP/WPA key --> input through webinterface and/or telnet.

Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:44 pm

WEP/WPA key --> input through webinterface and/or telnet...

Why? How many keypresses does it take? probably around 75 to 100. And if one of them is wrong... ohhh brother... let's do it again!

Not very much fun

Instead, make it so one can cut & paste it in from the computer screen. Either the web interface panel or the telnet interface/command line would be fine.

thanks for listening...
m1001, Firefly svn 1498+ on FreeLink-ed LinkStation HG & also on a Debianized KuroHG w/ eBox

swalter

Ability to assign a fixed IP address

Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:16 am

If this is in the menus somewhere, I apologize for not seeing it. Every other device on my network has the option of taking a fixed IP address rather than getting one from DHCP.

The only way I can successfully connect to my M1001 via web interface, VisualMR, Konfabulator/Yahoo Widget control, is by entering its IP address.

However, DHCP changes the M1001 address every so often, and then I have to update my browser bookmark, VisualMR settings, etc.

If I could specify a fixed IP address for the Soundbridge, I would not have to worry about changing these other settings anymore. I realize I can probably do this at the router by tying an IP to the MAC address of the SB, but for some reason this always strikes me as more of a hassle.

I have 3 other non-PC devices on my network that can use a fixed address or take a DHCP address, and it seems like the SB should be no exception.

Thanks!

wideasleep1

Re: Ability to assign a fixed IP address

Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:24 am

swalter wrote:
If this is in the menus somewhere, I apologize for not seeing it. Every other device on my network has the option of taking a fixed IP address rather than getting one from DHCP.

The only way I can successfully connect to my M1001 via web interface, VisualMR, Konfabulator/Yahoo Widget control, is by entering its IP address.

However, DHCP changes the M1001 address every so often, and then I have to update my browser bookmark, VisualMR settings, etc.

If I could specify a fixed IP address for the Soundbridge, I would not have to worry about changing these other settings anymore. I realize I can probably do this at the router by tying an IP to the MAC address of the SB, but for some reason this always strikes me as more of a hassle.

I have 3 other non-PC devices on my network that can use a fixed address or take a DHCP address, and it seems like the SB should be no exception.

Thanks!

Since it's already on your wlan/lan, all you need to do is "telnet' and 'configure' per following instructions to change IP to static:
http://www.rokulabs.com/support/soundbr ... tic_ip.php
G'Luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Roku_alo

Filter on "Refine list

Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:11 pm

When you "Internet Radio" -> "Browse" -> "Browse Genres" -> "Funk" You get a short list of stations and, at the bottom, an option <Refine this list>.

So far so good, but if you choose "Specify Country" you get a list of all the countries available to match with 5 stations.

The problem is that you have to guess witch countries the stations come from or... start over.

This applies to all the "Refined" lists, I guess.

It is not practical as I see it.

It was much better if The Soundbrigde could filter the "Refined" options to only include usefull options, by comparing the available stations to the "Refined" list.

In the above example we would get 5 country names matching the 5 stations in the list.
Last edited by Roku_alo on Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roku_alo

Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:08 pm

To make Searching a bit easier, it would be nice to be able to save and reuse searches in the menus.

If you could see the last 5 searches, in each menu option, and pick one, it would be very nice. 8)

Very often you look for the same.

Is it possible to save a search as a preset? That would be a start.

Binary Jay

Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:33 am

I find myself having to frequently browse all the way back to wherever I was in the browse menus after I've started playing something and change my mind. Hitting the <- back button does nothing once you're in now-playing, and I'm forced to go all the way to the start of the navigation from the start (genre, artist, etc.)

This is extremely annoying sometimes. Is there a way around this?

mpf

Improved search input

Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:15 am

Having poor eye sight I apprecate the single line display.
But it is let down by the search function which goes back to 2 lines.
Can you change the seach input to

BAC+ ABC (B is underlined as the current char)

for example where
BAC is the partial input for BACH and the + seperates the input from the next character selection.
ABC is the next Char selection display
left right to move as now and tick to select.
I don't think you need to display more then the next char either side of the current selection.

Also a SMS style input may be faster for some people.
matthew

batka

Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm

Hi Developers!

One user GUI feature request:

It would be very good to have native "folder browsing" or "browse by directory/files" feature in Soundbridge so that you could browse files at the Soundbridge interface as they are on reside on the hard disk. This would be important in the point of view that tagging doesn't matter in this case. Some folks don't use tagging, so when you don't use tags, you cannot find your album in the current implementation.

Of course some media servers supports this with Soundbridge, for example TwonkyMedia, but not Firefly. Firefly could support it natively if the hardware also support that natively.

Thanks, great product!!

adykes

Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:01 pm

One more on the pile.

Use volume knob like an ipod wheel. It would add a 'select' button to the radio, whereas now it only has one on the remote (which tends to get lost)

diyfiddler

Navigation Improvement Proposal

Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:33 am

I am a recent owner of a Soundbridge M1001, but have had a couple of years UPnP streaming experience with a Philips Streamium MX6000i system.

Whilst I love the speed and styling of the Soundbridge, the one thing that surprised me when I first started using it was the non-persistent navigation. I.e. Once you start playing something you are taken back to the top of the navigation tree. I prefer to navigate by browsing the folder containers on my TVersity server so this 'feature' is a real pain. I have similar frustrations with the non-persistent navigation following searching and starting playing. I know this feature request for more persistent navigation is not new, but I have a suggestion as to how it might be implemented:

Whilst the Philips Streamium unit has some serious limitations, its navigation is simple and very intuitive to a modern computer user, and most importantly, it remembers where you were when navigating! Essentially it uses the left and right direction keys to move up and down the menus and navigation tree. The right arrow drills down (so does its OK/select key) and the left arrow takes you up a level in the tree. The left arrow also takes you out of the 'now playing' screen to the previous 'view' before play was started.

After using the Roku I noticed that the left and right direction keys are not used in most navigation, so the above navigation method could, I hope, be added without affecting the current operation of any other keys including the 'back' key. I am presuming the Roku has sufficient memory capacity to remember where it was, or the results of a search etc.

Could someone from Roku please comment on the technical feasibility of improving the navigation in such a way?

Thanks,
Alex

wideasleep1

Re: Navigation Improvement Proposal

Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:30 am

diyfiddler wrote:
I am a recent owner of a Soundbridge M1001, but have had a couple of years UPnP streaming experience with a Philips Streamium MX6000i system.

Whilst I love the speed and styling of the Soundbridge, the one thing that surprised me when I first started using it was the non-persistent navigation. I.e. Once you start playing something you are taken back to the top of the navigation tree. I prefer to navigate by browsing the folder containers on my TVersity server so this 'feature' is a real pain. I have similar frustrations with the non-persistent navigation following searching and starting playing. I know this feature request for more persistent navigation is not new, but I have a suggestion as to how it might be implemented:

Whilst the Philips Streamium unit has some serious limitations, its navigation is simple and very intuitive to a modern computer user, and most importantly, it remembers where you were when navigating! Essentially it uses the left and right direction keys to move up and down the menus and navigation tree. The right arrow drills down (so does its OK/select key) and the left arrow takes you up a level in the tree. The left arrow also takes you out of the 'now playing' screen to the previous 'view' before play was started.

After using the Roku I noticed that the left and right direction keys are not used in most navigation, so the above navigation method could, I hope, be added without affecting the current operation of any other keys including the 'back' key. I am presuming the Roku has sufficient memory capacity to remember where it was, or the results of a search etc.

Could someone from Roku please comment on the technical feasibility of improving the navigation in such a way?

Thanks,
Alex

We've been begging for this since forever! /sigh
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

diyfiddler

Navigation Improvement Proposal - Update

Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:26 am

Having had another think about it, I realised that my previous statement about the left and right arrows not being used in most navigation was wrong. However I do have a further suggestion to address my mistake.

Again borrowing from Philips Streamium navigation, why not use the track skip buttons to fulfill the role currently provided by the left and right arrows (i.e. the 'fast browse' jump to next character in a list or jump 10 items in a non alphabetically sorted list)?

So in 'navigation' mode you use the left and right arrows to move up and down the layers, and you would use the next and previous track skip buttons to jump up and down the current list of items. To actually skip forward and back in your song queue you would need to be in the 'now playing' screen which you get to by pressing the back button. Pressing the left arrow would take you back your place in the navigation tree.

What do forum users think of the trade-off between the limits this approach would put on the ability to skip tracks with one button press vs. the gain in navigation ease?

Of course the simplest thing is to have the back button perform as most users would expect it to, and have the now playing screen automatically displayed after a user definable period of user inactivity or a long press on the back or home key.

Comments welcome.
Alex

Roku_alo

Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:11 am

When I search for a word in the forum, and get the results, the search-word is white on almost-white background. On my screen it is imposible to read and hard to find in the text, but I can guess what it saids, based on how long the word is.

Same colour is used for the word "Administrator" at the bottom of the main forum screen. Could this colour be just a bit yellow or something, so it can be read on less than perfect screens, like my HDTV (PC monitor 1360x768, pix to pix).

jacdx

Song Ratings

Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:22 pm

Hey Roku guys,

I really miss being able to rate songs. I have a big collection and it is very useful. I would be fine if it was only supported in FireFly. Even if it was just in the firmware so VisualMR could implement it, that would be fine by me!

Please! :!: