Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

pdw709

Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:08 am

Please dont forget to implement Wake-on-LAN.

This is a very important feature - who wants to keep their PC running 24/7 if its doing nothing?

Great product.

Phil

WeeboTech

RCP Feature Request - POWER MODE

Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:37 am

Roku, Can you add some sort of status command to tell us what power mode we are in.

I would like to write a remote control application so that when the unit is in standby, I make my own dsplay updates instead of the clock.

Then when the SB is powered on, my program will yeild control until it see's a power off event.

The issue is..
What mode is the SB in when the application starts up ?

GetTransportState always returns disconnected unless I'm actually playing something and/or disconnected to a server.

Standby to Power On.

SoundBridge> irman echo

irman: CK_POWER
irman: CK_SPECIAL_POWER_STATE_CHANGED

Power On to Standby

irman: CK_POWER
irman: CK_SPECIAL_POWER_STATE_CHANGED

If one could say on

CK_SPECIAL_POWER_STATE_STANDBY
or
CK_SPECIAL_POWER_STATE_OFF

and the other could say
CK_SPECIAL_POWER_STATE_ON

Then it could be tracked.

In addition a verb to tell me which mode we are in.

I.E.

SoundBridge> powermode
standby

SoundBridge> powermode
on

PS> This is a cross post from http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5042
Feel free to delete that message or this one.
I was not sure which place it should go.

mumbai

Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:39 am

I'd like to second the requests so far for (in priority order):

- Normalize volume across tracks

- Provide the option to go back to the previous level in the menu. E.g. If I'm listening to album A by artist X I don't want to start from the root of the menu to go to album B by artist X or indeed to get to an album by artist Y. It should be more iPod like.

- Crossfade audio

PjV

optional delay between tracks

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:26 pm

No crossfading for me :lol:
I would like to see a small delay so the tracks are played not back to back.
Maybe configurable, like 0, 1 or 2 seconds.
Can anybody fly this thing?

mumbai

Re: optional delay between tracks

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:33 pm

PjV wrote:
No crossfading for me :lol:
I would like to see a small delay so the tracks are played not back to back.
Maybe configurable, like 0, 1 or 2 seconds.

Strange/interesting request! What's the idea behind that?

PjV

Re: optional delay between tracks

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:39 pm

mumbai wrote:
Strange/interesting request! What's the idea behind that?

I usually play my tracks in random order and then having no silence between the tracks can result in very abrupt changes in music.
Maybe that should be an additional factor, only when it's playing in random order :)
Can anybody fly this thing?

ncostes

Instant Play Mode

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:23 pm

Currently it seems like from the off state, it takes at least 4 button presses to get music play.

On->Browse->Album->pick the album->Ok->Play

I may not be doing this right.

What would be idea is a 1 button "play music now" action. From the off state, or a sleep state, pressing this button would instantly make music play.

Another feature: Random play from within a playlist, or from all possible songs.

My wife wanted a boom box for the kitchen with shuffle play so she could mix up the music while she's in there w/the kids. The Roku was a much nicer solution, but manually created playlists, or shuffle on only one album is still repetitive.

It would be ideal if there was a "surprise me" mode where with one button from the off state, we're listening to music, and it is a sequence of random songs from any album either from a pre-selected playlist, or from all music on the server.

Basically a "shuffle play" mode accross an entire playlist or all music.

Also - normalizing volume accross tracks per the previous requests. Even if this is done offline - via a batch process we run on the music server pc.

Thanks

bpa

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:17 pm

I think the new preset in the 2.5 can do some of the functionality you are looking for.

Volume equalisation - if your files are MP3 try MP3Gain - batch process on your files.
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

I think there are equivalent for other formats,

AndrewH

Wake-On-LAN

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:39 am

I got an M1001 for Christmas and have been very pleased with it. My number one new feature request is for a Wake-On-LAN / magic packet implementation. At the moment I either have to go upstairs to turn on the PC or fire up my laptop to issue the Wake-On-LAN command.

Aiexis

Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:50 am

Hello
It would be nice to be able to connect to a distant server, adding an "enter IP for the server" feature :)
(I own a server located in another country...)

Tomas

Configurable fonts

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 am

When reading the replies to the font poll thread in the beta forum I realized that regardless of what font will eventually be loaded in 2.5 final, some people will be disappointed.

I would like to see a feature that made it possible to download the font tables to a PC, modify the fonts and then upload the fonts to the SB. This way, one could tweak the fonts for spacing and appearance and even create new fonts. The big mass would never care, but the real geeks would be able to create new, goodlooking fonts to share with the Roku community.

Compressor

Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:24 am

I would like to have a compressor with a few user definable settings. Such as an adjustable knee, ratio and threshold.

RobinMonks

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:40 am

I send the request for having some sort of open source kernel on the soundbride, or at least release enough API/SDK data so we can place our own commands/codecs on it.

Great communities rise up around open source, and you would still make the same money from the hardware. Open source it! :)

Robin

ian

Airtunes Mode

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:16 pm

I suspect this will have to be filed under "never gonna happen", as it falls under Apple's DRM issues, but it would be nice:

I've got a couple of Roku's and an Airport Express. Airtunes runs as a push service from iTunes, while Roku is a pull. They're different tools for different jobs. There've been a number of requests for some kind of Roku push mode.

It occured to me today that the perfect implementation of this would be that when it's turned off (in standby mode) the Roku announces itself on the network as an Airtunes service. When turned on it operates as normal, but if it's not being used in "pull" then it becomes available to "push" to from iTunes.

Unfortunatly Apple have the whole think locked up with public key encryption to prevent this :-(

Score 1 to big buisiness stopping me listening to music I've paid for on hardware I own...

Ian

macsband

Volume Leveling

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:11 pm

Volume Leveling --adjust all songs for same level of volume. iTunes has the info; why doesn't SoundBridge use it?