Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

markhood

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:34 pm

How about a configurable timeout for server connections? I rarely timeout unless the server is really busy, but for those occasions it would be nice to be able to tell the Roku to keep trying for a while longer before skipping to the next song.

airflow

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:59 am

dhensley75287 wrote:
Yet another (possibly forlorn) request for replay gain. [...]

I second that.

airflow

mscox_au

Auto DHCP release and renew if network servers unreachable

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:54 am

My default home gateway has a bad bug, namely that although it provides a DHCP lease that is effectively forever, if it hasn't heard/seen any traffic from the Roku for a while (several hours) it times out the firewall entry and the DHCP lease. Then when I wake the Roku back up, it naturally cannot find any servers (as the firewall is discarding all its packets).

Whilst I realise that this is a bug in the router, it would be a nice feature if the Roku, after not detecting any network connectivity (internet, DAAP or other servers), could simply try releasing and then renewing its DHCP address before giving up.

thanks,
MichaelSC

EDIT: Actually change this to ... If the Roku fails to be able to establish connections to say NTP, DNS and/or Media Library/Radio Stations then give the option (or automatically) release the existing DHCP licence and renew/request a new one. Further investigation of this router bug indicates that the Roku can still see the network and in particular media server advertisements, however the router firewall refuses to permit connections between the now "state lossed" Roku and any other network device. It's not unreasonable for the Roku to attempt self repair of partially failed network connectivity, and would certainly make the device more robust to external network oddities.
Last edited by mscox_au on Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcfh

Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:13 am

Hi,
Can you look at getting some control of brightness in sketch (ideally referencing the two preset levels for the radio as well) so that I can dim things for my users.
Thanks
Mark
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

mas

Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:41 pm

Currently mediaservers offering DAAP or the generic RSP service will only work within the local subnet. This is probably inherited from iTunes which has this behaviour deliberately as a consequence of arising problems with remote access in iTunes 4 versions and hence all later versions dont support remote access.

The current way to circumvent this is to use VPN or ssh-tunnels, which works when one wants to connect via a computer to a remote DAAP or RSP mediaserver. This does not work from a SoundBridge as one cannot start a VPN or tunnel from it.

However it appears that the fireflymediaserver has no remote limitation like iTunes v>4.0, so all that should be required in the roku is a software update to allow discovery of DAAP and/or RSP mediaservers not only via the broadcast rendevous method from Apple but also from a manually entered IP/DNS:port location.

Please note that the problems which lead to Apples decision to turn this off in their software are nonexistant for the roku SoundBridges. It would be suficient if this was limited to a single manual discovery location.

Benefit:
----------

Mostly for people running two housholds due to working at a different place where their families live. Its unlikely you'd want to duplicate your mediaservers while you have cheap internetaccess available at abundance and could just point your roku to your family home IP and stream it from there. Right now your only solution to this dillema is to either duplicate the mediaserver or to run a local proxy that has a tunnel to the homemachine. Which is rather nasty and only for the technically highly adept. Typing in a DNS or IP location however anyone would be able to perform I guess.

I believe this would be a worthwhile addition adding value to the product. And also one thats quite easy to do...
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.

thkoch

Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:00 pm

I would have posted this into the Soundbridge Feature Request Thread, but that is locked:

Wouldn't it be easy to release the "Sleep timer" function, which is used in the Soundbridge Radio, also in the M1001? That would be a nice feature. I do use my M1001 in my sleeping room, and it would be nice if it turns off automatically.

Thorsten

johsm67

Equalizer with presets.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Is it possible to have a Equalizer with a couple of presets.

To enhance bass sound or trebel, it would be so nice ;-)

FOxy

volume normalizer

Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:21 am

is it possible to introduce a volume normalizer function? because there is some net station which are too loud, some are too quiet.

Hellraider

Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:31 am

I would prefer built-in (with no extra software) capability to display RSS streams on SoundBridge.

Configuration should be done via built-in webside.

thefish

Deep standby

Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:30 pm

I would like to see a deep standby feature.

By entering this mode (e.g. by pressing the standby button on the remote for 5 seconds) this should happen:

-the display turns off
-the Wireless connection is cut off and the the wireless controller is powered off
-all audio outputs are powered off
-all other not needed controllers, devices, chips... are powered off
-the main CPU enters an idle state
-the SoundBridge can still be started with the remote - but it takes a bit longer

This all would help to save energy, when the SoundBridge is not working and it don't need to be restarted for some time (e.g. over night). For me it makes no sense, that the device is fully powered (wireless connection, main CPU, optical audio out) in standby mode, when I'm not at home... OK - I could pull the power plug (it's somewere behind my shelf) - but using the remote is much more comfortable!
Greetings...

Roku_alo

Re: volume normalizer

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:06 pm

FOxy wrote:
is it possible to introduce a volume normalizer function? because there is some net station which are too loud, some are too quiet.

Would like that very much too.. for night zapping.

Or maybe a fade-inn option when changing station. Much easier to programe. A loop from 0 -> "set level" over 5 seconds, but no sound level testing. Then you have time to turn the sound down, remote is inn your hand allready.

jae_63

Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:16 am

Another request for Wake-On-LAN. I hate to think how much power I'm wasting by leaving my music server on all the time.

Configuration could be really simple ... just send a Wake-On-LAN packet to the last server that was used. This can be done at Soundbridge "Power-on" time, and [also] arguably if no music servers are found.

lorenzocb

Feature request, security on network control

Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:26 am

Is it possible to include some sort of security for the network control? it need not be ultra safe, just to avoid people getting curious. For people who are in a shared network (like a university dorm for example). Something like specifying a MAC address allowed to control the SB (and reject all others) or a simple password that a remote control program can remember.

humba

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 am

Since WPA(2) support was added in software, I figure this might be possible without a hardware upgrade, too:
802.11e/WMM
Especially since the radio is only 802.11b (which reduces in some degradation of network performance if you run a g network), wireless QoS could help to migitate these effects and ensure that the various applications you might have on your wireless network get the proper priority (SIP/Skype phones before streaming music before bulk data transfers).

And while we're at it - having the wakeup funcitonality of the Roku Radio on other Roku devices would be a great bonus as well - I'd like to wake up to an Internet radio station and while my stereo can wake up at a given time and switch to one of the external inputs, the Roku still needs to wake up at the same time. I realize there's a way to do this via a Widget that makes use of commands added for the Radio Roku, but it would be great to have this as an official feature.

mcfh

Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:16 pm

Please can RCP expose (probably via GetOption) the brightness settings i.e. On, Off and Dim for the Radio)

Thanks
Mark
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2

Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows