Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

L775
Topic Author

Toggle Screen Mode

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:06 am

It would be nice if the new software upgrade will include a screen feature whereby one can reverse the the screen lighting.
for example, instead of the characters being lit, it would be the surrounding area (background) that is lit and the characters are blacked out.
I have this feature on my car receiver. it actually toggles between the two modes every 15 seconds or so.
L775

TimD

Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:13 pm

The toggling between display modes is more than likely a "demo" mode. My car stereo will do the same thing, but you can also choose one or the other, and the switching is considered "demo" mode.

Of course, for displays that can suffer from "burn-in" it's probably a good thing. I don't know that the Roku display is one that has that problem though.

spl23

Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:44 am

Oh no - *please* don't do this!

Kenwood used to do this on their first generation car head units with EL displays. It was purely done to reduce the possibility of premature display ageing, and it was *extremely* annoying. When you were driving at night, every thirty seconds, the car interior would switch from semi-darkness to brilliant illumination, and there was no way to stop it. The only way round it I found was to upload a new display wallpaper with every other pixel turned off - this way, the toggling between the two states produced no net change in illumination, but in the process the display became unreadable.

The current generation of Kenwood HUs don't do this any more, not even as an option. The reason? Practically every user complained about it, and said they'd rather have a slightly shorter-lived EL display than the constant switching. There's no possible need to do this on the SB - and given the numbeer of pixels on the display, the toggling would resemble a small lighthouse in the corner of the room...