Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

scathew
Topic Author

Saving Song Queue

Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:15 am

If possible another handy feature, though there are certainly alternative ways to do this. would be to give a way to write out the current "Song Queue" as a playlist. I find myself building the same "Song Queue"s over and over and have no way to save them. Even being able to go to the web interface and pull it might be an option.

Obviously I could build the playlist in another app like MusicMatch, however I often find I'm already in the middle of programming the SoundBridge when the subject comes up.

Would be kind of handy.

TimD

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:01 pm

Well, the Roku already plays externally created playlists, why wouldn't you just create some playlists in WMP or MusicMatch (or whatever your media management software happens to be) and use them?

I think the problem you're going to get into with this request is that the Roku itself has limited physical resources, and won't have a lot of on-board memory in which to store playlists of any considerable size.

Bear

Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:22 pm

TimD wrote:
Well, the Roku already plays externally created playlists, why wouldn't you just create some playlists in WMP or MusicMatch (or whatever your media management software happens to be) and use them?
Why would you not use the music server software? You're in bed and the computer that is serving the music is downstairs. (For example.)

I think the problem you're going to get into with this request is that the Roku itself has limited physical resources, and won't have a lot of on-board memory in which to store playlists of any considerable size.
I think the only possibly way would be either through the internal webserver or an external application that talks to the SoundBridge. In either case, the playlist would have to be imported somehow into the music server software. This could be tricky as I doubt the SoundBridge has the actual filenames. The best might be showing the songqueue from the webpage and then save it as a text file and then you have to create the playlist yourself.
-----Bear

wideasleep1

Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:33 pm

Until Roku can do a web interface upgrade, I use Cidero for this purpose, and it works well, so long as yer sitting with yer lappie wasting away the hours surfing like I do! :P
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

TimD

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 am

Why would you not use the music server software? You're in bed and the computer that is serving the music is downstairs. (For example.)

Well, the example in the OP was that the user finds himself creating the same song queues over and over again from the Roku interface. My answer is that if you repeatedly create the song list that way, why haven't you alredy just created a playlist on your music server that contains that playlist? Sure, it would be nifty to compose a playlist on the Roku and write it out to the music server, but that doesn't solve the immediate problem. There's a way to avoid having to manually re-create the playlist now, why wait until they may or may not add a feature to allow you to re-create the playlist yet again, and finally save it? Seems to me that in the time between now and whenever such a feature might be delivered, scathew will be manually building that song list dozens, if not hundreds, of times.

scathew
Topic Author

Well..

Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 am

TimD wrote:

Well, the example in the OP was that the user finds himself creating the same song queues over and over again from the Roku interface. My answer is that if you repeatedly create the song list that way, why haven't you alredy just created a playlist on your music server that contains that playlist? Sure, it would be nifty to compose a playlist on the Roku and write it out to the music server, but that doesn't solve the immediate problem. There's a way to avoid having to manually re-create the playlist now, why wait until they may or may not add a feature to allow you to re-create the playlist yet again, and finally save it? Seems to me that in the time between now and whenever such a feature might be delivered, scathew will be manually building that song list dozens, if not hundreds, of times.

Well, because as noted I'm lazy and I thought it would be nifty. Plus half the time I think about is when I'm standing in front of it with guests visiting and I'm re-entering that same flower playlist I did last time.

You're right though, it's not a good excuse, but it might be a cool feature.

Much rather have streaming ASX first though...