Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

KevinGre
Topic Author

Volume Buttons to operate my Amplifier

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:07 pm

I'd like to program the volume buttons to operate my amplifier instead og cahnging the digital signal. I have a external DAC and the current volume control lowers quality by throwing away information. Being able to set the volume buttons to operate my amplifier would mean I could use that remote alone.

Bear

Re: Volume Buttons to operate my Amplifier

Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:59 am

KevinGre wrote:
I'd like to program the volume buttons to operate my amplifier instead og cahnging the digital signal. I have a external DAC and the current volume control lowers quality by throwing away information. Being able to set the volume buttons to operate my amplifier would mean I could use that remote alone.
It sound slike what you want is a universal remote. If you don't have one, it might be worth your while in getting one.

There are some quite nice ones out there, including one that uses a touch screen so the buttons are fully customizable including the labels.
-----Bear

KevinGre
Topic Author

Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:39 pm

Ah, that old chestnut. I suggest you have a read of Donald Norman's Design of Everyday Things. In general, the more general purpose an item is the less usable it is for specific tasks.

Consider a good VCR remote with a jog and shuttle disk and ring, and different shaped buttons for each control. Now try that in a dark room versus a universal remote, or even worse a universal remote with a touch screen where you don't get tactile feedback to know if you hit the button or the right button. Try not just pause and play but tasks like fast forwarding through ads or to find a particular scene. Try it without looking at the remote. In these cases the specialized remote wins hands down. Of course this does not stop a lot of universal remotes being sold based on the power they give you but my experience has been that often they can make usability worse, not better. Hence my request to have one, already purpose built, remote for my stereo. Right now I use the Roku remote, but have to reach for the really ugly grid of buttons on my Rotel remote for volume. I think adding a programmable power button and making the existing volume buttons programmable would give a much better experience than a universal remote.

Burkhardi

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:04 pm

KevinGre wrote:
Ah, that old chestnut. I suggest you have a read of Donald Norman's Design of Everyday Things. In general, the more general purpose an item is the less usable it is for specific tasks.

Consider a good VCR remote with a jog and shuttle disk and ring, and different shaped buttons for each control. Now try that in a dark room versus a universal remote, or even worse a universal remote with a touch screen where you don't get tactile feedback to know if you hit the button or the right button. Try not just pause and play but tasks like fast forwarding through ads or to find a particular scene. Try it without looking at the remote. In these cases the specialized remote wins hands down. Of course this does not stop a lot of universal remotes being sold based on the power they give you but my experience has been that often they can make usability worse, not better. Hence my request to have one, already purpose built, remote for my stereo. Right now I use the Roku remote, but have to reach for the really ugly grid of buttons on my Rotel remote for volume. I think adding a programmable power button and making the existing volume buttons programmable would give a much better experience than a universal remote.

Two words...
Harmony 880

Its tactile, the whole thing lights up, motion sensor, buttons have nubs so you can even use it if your blind (unlike the Roku SB remote where I get the 4 way and select all messed up in the dark. Which it had a numb on the select key), set up is a cake walk, their tech support is second to none, one button launch. Has all the codes of the OE remote is you go to that menu, and if you have a Rotel, then the MSRP of $249 should be no issue.

I guess "880" is not a word...LOL ;)

carman63

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
Two words...Harmony 880

I second those 2 words! It's the first universal remote I've owned, and it controls my entire audio/video setup perfectly :)

fmah

Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:51 pm

I've been messing about with the Palm based Omniremote. Turns your PDA into a remote control. There are other programs that are also available and you can use other PDA like devices with some other software on the market.

I bought a used Palm cheap to play with.