Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

archerkit
Topic Author

Browse by Artist - Album

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi. I posted this in another area but it's relevant in this area. I'd like to see the ability to browse with a combination of Artist and Album. In other words, I'd like to see:

Coldplay - Parachutes
Coldplay - X&Y
Diana Krall - All for You
Diana Krall - Live in Paris

... all of these in one big list. The speed of the Roku is enough to navigate VERY quickly through a large list. I can somewhat emulate this if I make a playlist for ebery single album - which I nearly have done - but it would be easier to just pull it from the tags.

I realize there are albums with multiple artists. However I'm quite anal when it comes to tags, so I tend to change them to reflect my browsing. I compare it to shopping for CDs in a store. Even if an album has multiple artists, it will only be in one location. I also change my artist tags to reflect browsing habits. Soundtracks often have multiple artists, but I change the "artist" to simply "Soundtrack" and then the album is still "Gladiator" or "Star Wars" - organized just like a record store.

Similarly for Christmas and other themes I add that to the artist tag. So my Perry Como Christmas artist field actually has "Christmas - Perry Como".

All of my raionales aside, it would be great to see this browse by "Artist - Album" mode.

Thanks!

grommet

You need "Album Artist"

Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:41 pm

Off topic a bit, but you need to use "Album Artist" tagging on your content. This is the metadata for the "record store" organization. Don't lose all your real Artist information.

For example, I browse to "Original Soundtrack" as an artist and can see "High Fidelity" as part of the listed Albums. But every track on the High Fidelity soundtrack still has an individual artist. (WMC 1.0 only shows the Album Artist instead of Track Artist while playing, but this is resolved in the next WMC.) I can still search/list by the individual artists, too.

archerkit
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:10 am

You make some good points, thanks for the info. I had been using Tag & Rename for all of my mp3s. After firing up the Soundbridge, I noticed that certain tracks weren't quite listed properly. Some tracks had multiple artists in the Artist field, separated by semicolons.

Tag & Rename didn't see these (even after re-tagging, they remained!) but the tag editor in WMP10 could see them.

Looks like I have some work to do. Any ideas when the next WMC is arriving? (I also looked at Twonkyvision, but I don't think it supports the WMAs that have DRM, which is important for my Yahoo subscription)