Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

markhood

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:52 pm

I don't own the R1000, but can't you just turn the alarm off when you go to bed on Friday and turn it back on when you go to bed on Sunday? That's what I do with my clock radio. And how would an automatic weekend scheme handle 3-day weekends and holidays?

Not that it wouldn't be a bad feature -- I just think there are more pressing bugs and features that ought to be addressed first.

Cecilia

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 pm

markhood wrote:
I don't own the R1000, but can't you just turn the alarm off when you go to bed on Friday and turn it back on when you go to bed on Sunday? That's what I do with my clock radio. And how would an automatic weekend scheme handle 3-day weekends and holidays?

Not that it wouldn't be a bad feature -- I just think there are more pressing bugs and features that ought to be addressed first.

Turning it off isn't much of a problem (at least not for me, I remember when I don't have to work!). Remembering to turn it back on can be a challenge, though.

What might be a satisfying alternative might be a "cancel tomorrow's alarms only" button...or combination of buttons to push...so that the alarms don't go off the next day but then reset themselves for the following day, without user intervention.

Just an idea. :)

mars1952

Better Browser interface, Wired Ethernet ...

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:12 pm

LeonPhelps wrote:
It would be alot easier to set alarm times through my web browser. :lol:

A better Browser interface would be nice. I would like to set up my SB radio using my computer and be able to save the configuration. I have had a lot of trouble with my SB radio and have had to reset it many times. Each time I loose the presets and alarms.

1) More alarms with controls for each day and variable wake to music followed by alarm.
2) Wired Ethernet
3) Better browser control.
4) Audio in and out jacks.
5) Sync more than one Soundbridge to the same playlist/Audio book.
6) Equalizer that follows the setting from itunes.

mark2c

Feature Request Forums - A Waste of Time and Effort?

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi all - including moderators.

It has been a while now since the last development output occurred: Sep 29, 2007 3.0.49 public beta which was great for me with NZ DST and BBC IR fixed.

Since then I've not seen any development output. Is it all over with Mike gone? I suppose the threat of forthcoming single chip DAB/DAB+/AM/FM/Internet Radio/Media Players could have scared ROKU out of the market ie make money while the sun shines...

danme

Re: Feature Request Forums - A Waste of Time and Effort?

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:39 pm

mark2c wrote:
Hi all - including moderators.

It has been a while now since the last development output occurred: Sep 29, 2007 3.0.49 public beta which was great for me with NZ DST and BBC IR fixed.

Since then I've not seen any development output. Is it all over with Mike gone? I suppose the threat of forthcoming single chip DAB/DAB+/AM/FM/Internet Radio/Media Players could have scared ROKU out of the market ie make money while the sun shines...

I would like to second this one.

I am really scared of the fact that there are so many unsolved issues in the latest stable (and pushed) release. Do Roku care at all? We're lots of people that certainly do... :evil:

Please, at least fix all remaining issues before going down for good! I feel truly guilty for ever recommending this device to friends (at the current state).

timevacuum

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:13 pm

So here goes my wish list. Some are repeats with my preferred solution stated:

1. Full support of slimserver including increased text size. I don't use iTunes.

2. Better navigation of menus without the remote. Take away the preset bank selector and use it as the menu select button. Two quick presses could take you back a level. Up down keys to move through the menus. There should really be a select button on new hardware but please please please don't leave us current owners hanging. See below for selecting preset banks. I don't think you should sacrifice the volume control for this feature. It is nice that no matter what you are doing, you can instantly turn the volume down.

3. If/when you add multiday alarm capabilities, keep it simple on the device and very full featured via the web browser

4. Tone or bass/treble control. Maybe a loudness on-off option for quickly diminishing the bass.

5. Better remote with quick preset buttons (my instruction manual shows a better remote but it wasn't supplied, I purchased in Jan 2008).

6.Multiple presses of preset buttons cycles through the banks. A2-B2-C2-A2... The first press should always be bank A so that you can select your station without looking.

7.Use the preset keys on the remote like a cell phone alphabet to more quickly browse alphabetical lists. Low importance.

8. Line in beside the sd slot. Low importance.

9. Built in battery backup of clock incase power is out and internet doesn't come back up gracefully. Low importance.

10. RSS feeds. Set up via the web interface.

11. Fast forward/rewind through songs by holding down the the skip forward/backward buttons. Like any portable CD player.

12. Quick on/off cycle of Alarm 1. Hold the alarm button and pressing the up key to turn alarm on and the down key for alarm off. This way you could reliably turn alarm 1 on or off in complete darkness without moving your head to look at the unit. You know: lots of beers, don't want to move, don't want to be woken next morning.

Roku, you have made an excellent product and we all dream of the improvements that are possible. Thanks.

qaflight

Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Reliable weekday/weekend alarms please.

rokuuser73

Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:55 pm

I would like to see an alarm function on the M1000. I could connected to my own speakers and wake up to the internet.

dupondt

Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:36 am

Hi rokuuser73,

welcome to the forums.

Although it is slightly OT here (this is the feature request thread for the Soundbridge Radio R1000, which has an alarm function), you might want to try Soundbridge Commander. With this software you should be able to set two alarms on your M1000.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

NooN

Thu May 01, 2008 7:58 am

I just bought the SoundBridge Radio and although I like it, I'm tempted to send it back. This is because it lacks two features that are mandatory IMO:
- Bass/Treble (maybe even presence) control (default config has too much bass, too few treble)
- Forward (maybe also backward) support when using file streaming from computer
- Power saving; the SBR takes 9 watts in standby. that's not acceptable.

WPA2 would be a nice feature, too. But I guess that can't be done with the SBR's hardware.

Don't get me wrong. I like the SBR and I really can use it. But if you buy an audio player these days, you expect these three points and I was really surprised to see them missing.

dupondt

Thu May 01, 2008 8:35 am

Hi NooN,

welcome to the forums.

it lacks two features that are mandatory IMO
I was really surprised to see them missing.

You surprise me. The technical specs of the Soundbridges are no secrets, and the missing features you mention have been discussed over and over again in these forums. You obviously didn't inform yourself before buying the Soundbridge, so don't complain afterwards that you bought a pig in a poke.

For power saving you could consider using a power strip with a switch or a wireless remote control power outlet (but if you do, always put your Soundbridge to standby and then wait ten seconds before switching it off.).

WPA2 is supported.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

markhood

Thu May 01, 2008 11:44 am

The excessive bass response noted by Soundbridge Radio users seems to be fairly pervasive with these smaller audio units. I've purchased two tabletop players, the latest being the Bose SoundDock, and they both suffered from excessive bass, even when using the "Reduce Bass" EQ option on the iPod.

What's up with this trend? The SoundDock rattles all the glasses in our kitchen even at the lowest acceptable listening volume. All it needs is a simple tone control to be a great player, but for whatever reason the designers decided it didn't need one.

It's not that I'm not a fan of bass response. When reproduced by my conventional stereo setup I love a full deep bass, but these smaller players really seem to do something strange to the bass tones. The SoundDock did sound pretty good in the noisy store. I guess it needs to go back there.

NooN

Thu May 01, 2008 12:52 pm

dupondt wrote:
You surprise me. The technical specs of the Soundbridges are no secrets, and the missing features you mention have been discussed over and over again in these forums. You obviously didn't inform yourself before buying the Soundbridge, so don't complain afterwards that you bought a pig in a poke.

Well, actually it seems that not all reviewers are missing these features, I have read two reviews and haven't seen any complain about these things. You can't expect me to read through ALL reviews and I can't expect that key features, that EVERY modern playback device has, are missing in the SBR.
Anyway, I know that the SBR is not perfect. I bought it because I knew Roku listens to its customers and adds features with firmware updates. I am here because I do a feature request for something and just wanted to express that I was missing these things urgently.

dupondt wrote:
For power saving you could consider using a power strip with a switch or a wireless remote control power outlet (but if you do, always put your Soundbridge to standby and then wait ten seconds before switching it off.).

Not gonna work if being used as radio clock, as in my case (I actually see the SBR as a radio clock, it's been obviously designed to be one). Just to add: while a switch is an option always recommended for standby devices, people just won't use this in most cases, which is a fact that should be considered.

I have seen devices where the producer was able to lower the power usage long AFTER the delivery to market (Fritz!Box 7170 Router by AVM Germany), so I guess there are options to lower the standby power usage. Roku seems to be able to build good devices and extend them by new features and I am sure they are able to do the same as AVM.

dupondt wrote:
WPA2 is supported.

Yes, thanks, it works. I had WPA only in my mind, guess that information was old (had to go WEP first because of the old delivered firmware and didn't test WPA2).

lbmh

Bass & Trebble control and FLAC

Sat May 17, 2008 3:24 pm

Bass & Trebble control and FLAC would really make an outstanding difference. Actually I would have bought an SBR if those features were present. As they are not I'll probably end up with a Roberts STREAM 201, though with FLAC & Treble control I would have chosen the SBR, for the FM, the SD slot and the general build quality.

Oct. 3 Post scriptum : I just got a Logitech Squeezebox Boom & it rocks !

Ruseineisalvira

Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:53 am

The testing and certification processes already in place are extremely rigorous, ensuring that voting systems meet well-established standards for performance under realistic election