Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Tomas

Sun May 06, 2007 2:08 am

williMeier wrote:
thx@tomas: i didnt do r.t.f.m. :oops:

Neither did I... :cool:

williMeier wrote:
yes the hardware is allways there. for decoding of rds too i think. every bit of sound has to go through the a/d converter and the processor. so the retrieving of the rds data is only software work. but it may be hard to implement and: how many people needs rds in times of i-net radio?

The RDS information is sent separately and needs to be decoded by hardware. If the FM receiver chip Roku uses is RDS capable it would be possible to get RDS, otherwise not. Check out an example RDS receiver block diagram and RDS transmission spectrum to see why.

williMeier

Fri May 11, 2007 4:07 pm

hi roku fans and roku developers,

today i found another "nice-to-have" :wink:

what is about navigation in upnp trees (in my case wmp11) similar to slimserver style?
regards frank

if it has ram or flower it will give you problems

midiwall

Tue May 22, 2007 3:41 pm

How about...

A "sync" capability between multiple Roku units so that all the player on a local network stream in sync with one-another?

Case in point, I have a M1001 (soon to be two) and an SB Radio. I'd love to be able to walk around the house hearing the same feed.

Now, this is probably more about being able to configure Firefly for multicast, hmm... maybe that's the better answer, then the SBR or Mxxxx grows a mode to playback a multicast stream.
:: Mark

MacAl

Fri May 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Store network connection data (network name and password) for two or more networks. I have taken my R1000 to visit friends and must re-input my network name and WEP hex password when I return home.

tchng

Internet Radio & Buffering

Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:11 pm

Im trying to add these few links as my preset radio from Malaysia.
For some reason, i can play it online under rokuradio but it wont play on my soundbridge. I have soundbridge M1001 with ethernet cable connected. I was able to get most radio except from malaysia. Please help.. The buffering was trying over 30 times + and still not connected

mms://202.157.188.193/myT9OMYEVD

mms://202.157.188.193/mixAST1P5C4R7

http://72.249.57.65:8000/988.mp3

Thanks
Tomas

Kovanen

Re: Record to SD Card

Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:20 pm

[quote="StephenPM"]It would be very handy to be able to record to the SD Card from the Internet radio stations. Sort of the old school way of podcasting.[/quote]

Oh, this is a nice idea. Basically have a "Record to SD" and then every song would be recorded to the SD until it filled up or the record was turned off.

Very nice idea!

midiwall

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:08 pm

Kovanen wrote:
StephenPM wrote:
It would be very handy to be able to record to the SD Card from the Internet radio stations. Sort of the old school way of podcasting.

Oh, this is a nice idea. Basically have a "Record to SD" and then every song would be recorded to the SD until it filled up or the record was turned off.

Very nice idea!

Cool idea, but I don't think it's legal. It's one thing to deal with the licensing issues for streaming radio, but another to deal with recording to a removable medium that could be played in devices that you don't own.

The licenses for streaming generally deal with "private, non-commercial use only". Recording to a removable medium opens up the potential for blowing all sorts of holes in that license.

Kovanen

Private Use Allowed

Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:31 pm

Recording by an end user for the enjoyment of an end user probably falls under the Fair Use Clause. For example, you can buy a CD, then RIP the CD to iTunes (legal) and then burn it onto another CD (legal.)

What you certainly cannot do is to share it with all of your friends or rebroadcast it.

But a lawyer can probably make an argument for any position.

S80_UK

Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:40 pm

Well, we have radios for digital terrestrial broadcasts here in the UK which allow exactly that - you can record off air to an SD card in the broadcast format (MPEG 1 Layer 2, in our case). You can then play back on the radio, or in other MP3 compatible devices, including a PC with Windows Media Player for example.

Of course you could break the law, and re-distribute, re-broadcast, etc. But that doesn't mean that recording should not be possible, just as the fact that you can break the law in many ways by driving a car doesn't mean that people should not be allowed to drive.

In theory I don't see why recording from a internet stream could not be permitted for "fair use", and if copyright issues are a concern, Roku could encrypt the recording such that it could only be played back on the same radio.

Cecilia

I would love to buy one of these!

Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:29 am

I would love to buy one of these...dying to press the check out button. But it is missing two important things for me.

1. Weekend sleep function (although more useful would be to choose which days of the week you don't want the alarm, OR the ability to turn off the alarm JUST for tomorrow and it will continue on for the days after, if that makes sense? In other words, a button for "no alarm tomorrow" that doesn't actually turn off the alarm permanently.)

2. Ethernet input, 'cause wireless in my house for some reason is terribly spotty. even though I have the latest & greatest and super-powered, I keep losing connection.

Other comments: reviews say that the FM radio isn't all that great, which worries me, since my wireless is terrible. I'd love improved FM radio reception, which is also terrible at my house and requires a really good FM radio to pick up the most basic stations.

It would be nice to have an aux input, 'cause sometimes I like to play my archos and it would be nice to use the speakers for this instead of headphones.

Hope this is useful.

midiwall

Re: I would love to buy one of these!

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Cecilia wrote:
2. Ethernet input, 'cause wireless in my house for some reason is terribly spotty. even though I have the latest & greatest and super-powered, I keep losing connection.

Something to think of in terms of your global issue would be the Meraki boxes. I have three of them around the house and while they're meant to help spread a free public WiFi network, they also make great local repeaters. :) (you can lock down the network)

midiwall

Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:59 pm

More of a "Product Request" than a "Feature Request" but...

I have an SB Radio on one side of the bed, and like most, I use it as an alarm, a clock & a streamer. I got to thinking that it'd be nice to have one on the other side as well so that I don't have to do a double-half-gainer twisting Louie to see the clock in the middle of the night.

Of course, $300 is a lot to spend for something THAT frivolous :), so... borrowing from an idea that was in an old standard radio I had (Proton, now Sangean) it had a slave piece that duped the basic functions of the master (on/off/station select/volume), but no real guts outside of a speaker and display. One nice aside was that when the slave was used, the master would flip from bridged mono to true stereo. The slave was connected to the master via a 12' cable...

I think it'd be cool to have a slave like this for the SB Radio.

EDIT: Obviously having a good price-point makes/breaks this product... I'm thinking I'd be in for one at $100.

bobinchicago

Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:12 pm

midiwall wrote:
More of a "Product Request" than a "Feature Request" but...

I have an SB Radio on one side of the bed, and like most, I use it as an alarm, a clock & a streamer. I got to thinking that it'd be nice to have one on the other side as well so that I don't have to do a double-half-gainer twisting Louie to see the clock in the middle of the night.

Of course, $300 is a lot to spend for something THAT frivolous :), so... borrowing from an idea that was in an old standard radio I had (Proton, now Sangean) it had a slave piece that duped the basic functions of the master (on/off/station select/volume), but no real guts outside of a speaker and display. One nice aside was that when the slave was used, the master would flip from bridged mono to true stereo. The slave was connected to the master via a 12' cable...

I think it'd be cool to have a slave like this for the SB Radio.

EDIT: Obviously having a good price-point makes/breaks this product... I'm thinking I'd be in for one at $100.

I thought the same thing, but ended up buying a cheap alarm clock (extra-large LED digits) at Best Buy. I haven't tested my Radio's FM reception (it's used strictly as an iTunes client), though.

A quick look at the product listing (wasn't there going to be a link back from the forums to the main Roku site...?) shows refurb 500's at $80 and 1000's at $100, FWIW. There are other issues there (you'd gain some stuff and lose other options) but it does meet your price point and even give you some redundancy...

midiwall

Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:56 pm

bobinchicago wrote:
A quick look at the product listing (wasn't there going to be a link back from the forums to the main Roku site...?) shows refurb 500's at $80 and 1000's at $100, FWIW. There are other issues there (you'd gain some stuff and lose other options) but it does meet your price point and even give you some redundancy...

Yeah, I could certainly do that, but the "beauty" in having a slave is that a) it's a real slave in that you won't have sync issues if you're trying to play audio out of "both", b) you might pick up true stereo with real separation, and given that we're talking about th SB Radio, c) you'd have the on-top controls instead of having to use a remote with the 500/1000.

Thanks though!

Side note... has any of the Roku's ever popped into this thread? I've seen a lot of people asking for stuff, but it'd be nice to know that they're listening - or at least reading. :)

Oh, and link wise, yeah, I thought so to. Usually I've seen the phpBB and vBulletin implementations set the upper-left logo to be the link back to the mfg's home.

Cecilia

Re: I would love to buy one of these!

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:25 pm

midiwall wrote:
Cecilia wrote:

Something to think of in terms of your global issue would be the Meraki boxes. I have three of them around the house and while they're meant to help spread a free public WiFi network, they also make great local repeaters. :) (you can lock down the network)

Pretty interesting, thanks for the link! but I could probably just get another router and use it as an access point, it'd be cheaper than $50. But since I have ethernet in there anyway, it would save me having more waves going through my brain :)

Another thing I thought of is an Aux Input. I use ReplayTV/DVArchive on my laptop and sometimes I put it in the bedroom and would like to use the speakers of the clock to play what's on my laptop, instead of dragging in a pair of computer speakers.