Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rvacha

Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:50 am

vs wrote:
I don't personally need it yet, but I can see myself wanting it soon - PoE

rvacha,

I don't really know the details about PoE, but it's probably unlikely to be supported since the VFD display can draw quite a bit of current. The M1000 needs 9 volts at 1.3 amps and the M2000 needs 24 volts at 0.75 amps.

Anyone care to comment on this, since I probably don't know what I'm talking about.....

Ah, good point. PoE (in the current version) limits power drawn from the Cat5 to 12.95W. After power conversion roughly 10W is available. The M1000 might get by, but the M2000 clearly won't. A decent LCD display would have to be used to eliminate the VF power dissipation. Almost by definition the WiFi card is unneeded which also helps

rvacha

Improved "virtual CD" support

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:24 am

Some people have already asked for WMA Lossless support, which the Roku sorta has. What I'm looking for is something more universal. Ultimately I'm after is a solution that allows me to rip my CD collection to a lossless format and then have the SB natively decode the format. I make this distinction because the available servers are few and far between right now. There are even fewer that can transcode into a *lossless* stream that the SB understands. The only one that comes close is WMC. iTunes for example now supports AAC Lossless and can rip a CD to AAC Lossless and can even (very slowly) transcode WMA Lossless files to AAC Lossles files but it can't transcode as a server. It can serve 'em up in the lossless format but SB can't play them. Nero MediaHome server transcodes but not to a lossless format. As time goes on I would expect more servers to support transcoding but it won't help unless they can transcode into LPCM (based on the SB's current capabilities). Even if they eventually do this I'm not sure my hardware is going to have the horsepower to transcode more than two LPCM streams at once. In addition to my two SBs Santa has ordered the elves to build up an HD1000, I will add DVR functionality after the holidays, and then work on some more video rendering stuff

Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse!

RokuMike

Re: Controlling m500, 1000 or 2000 remotely

Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:07 pm

maestro wrote:
The only problem I have is the inability to control it remotely. Ideally it would be great to be able to control it remotely through iTunes by building some sort of dynamic playlist. Failing that, any sort of web base app. would rock.

Any info regarding when something like this will be available?

Have you checked out 2.1?

Granted, our web-based controls in 2.1 are a bit limited -- you can see info about the currently-playing track and do transport controls, set the volume and change repeat and shuffle modes, but you can't browse for tracks and so forth.

We do plan to continue enhancing the web features, though. Maybe you could say a bit about what you'd like to be able to do via the web interface?

Zyme

update

Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:57 pm

Hi All,
just got the M1000 and love it. I'm hoping that soon support for CF 802.11g adapters will be added. It's not that the streaming audio is a problem--rather, it slows the other wireless devices on my WAN to 802.11b speed.
Thanks for a great product!
Z

rvacha

Re: Controlling m500, 1000 or 2000 remotely

Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:49 pm

RokuMike wrote:
maestro wrote:
The only problem I have is the inability to control it remotely. Ideally it would be great to be able to control it remotely through iTunes by building some sort of dynamic playlist. Failing that, any sort of web base app. would rock.

Any info regarding when something like this will be available?

Have you checked out 2.1?

Granted, our web-based controls in 2.1 are a bit limited -- you can see info about the currently-playing track and do transport controls, set the volume and change repeat and shuffle modes, but you can't browse for tracks and so forth.

One of the example apps included in Intel's UPnP Toolkit is a littel diddy called Intel AV Wizard. The position control and volume control don't seem to work with the SB but the rest does. It is much smaller than using a browser window, doesn't make the agitating "click" noise that IE makes, can control more than one player at a time from the same window, and has a stay on top feature which keeps if from getting buried. Requires .Net 1.1

RokuMike

Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:41 pm

Yes, we've used AV Wizard as part of our testing here at the office. Unfortunately, it's a bit flakey. Sometimes the volume control works, sometimes it doesn't.

The position control doesn't work with SoundBridge, because we don't support seeking within a file.

Zyme

Re: update

Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:36 pm

[quote="Zyme"]Hi All,
just got the M1000 and love it. I'm hoping that soon support for CF 802.11g adapters will be added. It's not that the streaming audio is a problem--rather, it slows the other wireless devices on my WAN to 802.11b speed.
Thanks for a great product!
Z[/quote]

Ok--now I see that this discussion has come up in other threads on this forum. Sorry about that!
Z

ikeboy

Shuffle first song in playlist

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:06 pm

When the SB is in shuffle mode and a playlist is selected to play, please shuffle before selecting the first song to play. SB currently always plays the first song as defined in the playlist first and then shuffles for subsequent songs to play. I'm getting tired of hearing the first song in my large playlist. :D

RokuMike

Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:50 pm

Hmmm. It's supposed to do that. I guess a bug crept in. Thanks for letting us know!

Miguel

Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:27 pm

How is it supposed to work? Should you be able to press shuffle before selecting the playlist?

Once you select the playlist it's already too late as the first song in it will start playing before you get a chance to press shuffle...

rnjcooke

Synchronization of multiple Soundbridges

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:12 pm

Another post called this streaming from one Soundbridge to another, some other players call this synchronization. Basically I would like all my players in all my rooms to be playing the same tune at the same time.

BTW, I tossed out my Audiotron's three weeks ago and bought three M1000's. I had them up and running in 10 minutes each. I was constantly having to reboot the Audiotrons. So far in three weeks not a single glitch with the M1000's. GREAT product!!!

danm

FLAC and SDK

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:15 pm

My requests are relatively simple

First off is FLAC support - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, I'll buy two more for my house if you support FLAC.

The other is a SDK, or tar ball, or anything to allow me and others to develop the platform.

Thank you :)

Dan

Tim Johnston

Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:44 pm

One quick note, I own an ipod so some of my suggestions mirror what my ipod does. Here goes...

UI Suggestions:

1. When a track is playing, I think that hitting Exit on the remote should bring you up one level. So that if you are browing by artists, it will go back to a list of all the songs in the album. I guess if you using playlists, it would go back to the list of the tracks in the playlist. This is the same as the ipod.

2. When a track is playing, I think that the Soundbridge should remember which track is playing. This means that if you hit the Menu button and go to the main screen, you should be able to hit select (without using the up or down buttons) to bring you back to the track that is playing. This is the same as the ipod.

3. I own an M2000, and I think that it's screen real estate can be put to better use when browsing. For example, currently if you are browsing artists, only two artists are displayed at a time. Would it be possible add a couple more columns of artists?

4. If you are at the bottom of a list (for example a list of songs for an album) I think that hitting the down button should bring you back to the top of the list. Similarly, if you are at the top, hitting the up button should bring you to the bottom.

5. Make better use of the remote control buttons. I don't think that brightness deserves its own button. That functionality could easily be added to a sub menu somewhere. Maybe instead of brightness, this button could go directly to the current queue.

6. Make use of some type of "cd compilation" flag so that artists that only have one track don't get displayed in the main lists of artists.

Tech Suggestions:

1. Fast Forward and rewind functionality. It's not critical, but pretty much everyone expects it.

2. More lossless support, especially flac. I've been using slimserver and on my stereo I notice a difference between the flacs and mp3s that I personally ripped. I already sent an e-mail to Apple complaining about lack of third party support for their drm'ed iTunes files and Apple lossless.

3. I was really impressed with the new radio support in the 2.1 firmware. I'm sure that this is on your list, but windows media needs to get added since it appears to be the most popular format.

4. Some kind of sdk would be awesome too.

Overall, I am very happy with the M2000 and I can't wait for my Linksys NSLU2 to show up so that I can get mt-daapd going.

Long term, it would be awesome to be able to get mt-daapd to serve up lossless files (preferably flac, but I guess I wouldn't complain if Apple got their butts in gear and released their lossless codec) direct to the soundbridge. I can't think of anything better than that combination!

Tim

RokuMike

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:28 am

Miguel wrote:
How is it supposed to work? Should you be able to press shuffle before selecting the playlist?

Once you select the playlist it's already too late as the first song in it will start playing before you get a chance to press shuffle...

Right. Put the SoundBridge into shuffle mode, select a playlist, press play. But it doesn't work as it's supposed to at the moment. :(

RokuMike

Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:39 am

Hey Tim,

Wow, lots of suggestions! Cool, thanks.

I'd like to address just a couple of them to clarify the issues raised.

The first is that the SoundBridge song playback model is different from the iPod. We chose to have the Song Queue (to which you can add multiple albums, artists, playlists and so forth), rather than going with the iPod's model of playing a specific list available elsewhere in the UI. This makes it impossible to go "up" one level to the list that's playing, since the list that's playing isn't necessarily available anywhere else in the UI.

You can always get back to the current song with two keypresses. MENU, EXIT should take you there.

The way to think about the SoundBridge's menus is that the "Now Playing" screen is the "root" screen. All other menus come up "on top of" the menu. So, if you just keep hitting EXIT, you'll get to the Now Playing screen. The shortcut is to hit MENU, which takes down all the menus and leaves only the Main Menu on top of the Now Playing screen. Then, one EXIT press takes down that menu.

Regarding the CD compilation suggestion, we like this idea, but the problem is that we're limited to an extent by what types of queries the server can accept. At the moment, there's not an easy way to say "show me all artists whose tracks aren't part of a compilation".