Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

nicko

Mon May 09, 2005 7:28 pm

After 2-3 weeks using my M1000 (which is great - particularly pleased with the sound quality), my main frustration would be the difficulty in browsing the library (100 or so albums) and finding an artist that has an album or at least multiple songs to play. Its impossible to pick them out of all the 1 song artists from compilations/soundtracks etc.

This is a hang over from CD days where I'd browse the rack for an artists I felt like, pull a CD and put it on, and maybe my behaviour will change with Roku.

I'd suggest adding some indication of the number of songs below an artists or album (when browsing) eg: use the last char of the line to display song or album count, or a guage symbol, or a char like S = single, A = album, M = more than one album.

An alternative would be to add a Browse > Artist with Albums category which showed only artists with full Albums (> 5 songs?).

Other comments: Browse should return to the same point in the list you last entered at, so as I wander through the collection I don't always start at the top.

Apologies if this has been covered already - but 22 is a lot of pages to browse.

Thanks.

N.

nic

Tue May 10, 2005 2:00 am

I am casting my vote for Ogg Vorbis and FLAC support; Ogg Vorbis for radios in particular.

Cheers

conger

Tue May 10, 2005 2:45 am

Can I make a feature request that some of the feature requests get included in a future (soon I hope) SW update.

I know I sound really flippant and pushy here but there are now 320 feature request posts, many with multiple suggestions which are probably near 1000 feature requests. Anyone who now wants to suggest a feature has to read through 22 plus pages to see what has already been requested. Many of them are repeat requests that add genuine usability and many are flower good requests.

E.g. The often requested/suggested menu wrap around has got to be a very easy to implement and test feature that would improve the usability of the SB.

I may sound like I am complaining, I am just expressing some frustration about a product that is genuinely superb, but could be even better with some of these 320 requests implemented.
XP SP2, Linksys WRT54G wired configuration, SB M1000, iTunes 6.0.0.18 for main mp3 music and playlist server, SlimServer 6.0.2 with modified Slim.exe by bpa, AlienBBC 0.98, Mplayer 1.0pre6 for BBC radio. NAV2003 Prof, standard XP firewall.

Bear

Remote control suggestion...

Tue May 10, 2005 6:43 am

Make the Remote easier to read in the dark.

Backlight the buttons, possibly the same way cell phones do.
-----Bear

rendl

Thu May 19, 2005 11:01 am

:arrow:
Make the telnet interface support "irwait" while in sketch mode in order to allow all those 3rd party developers make an already good product unbeatable with applications like e.g. RSS news feed display.

It looks like all those apps will need a little help from Roku so the SB will be back controllable by the remote while in sketch mode.

Great work, keep it up guys!
thanks
1 Soundbridge M2000
1 Soundbridges M1000
1 Soundbridge M1001
all Wired on NSLU2 Twonkymedia Server

cncb

Thu May 19, 2005 1:31 pm

1) Back and forward navigation with left/right arrows on remote like Tivo and Slimserver navigation (exit is too awkward). The volume control on the remote could be used to advance by letter (does anyone really use this volume control instead of the one on their amp?).

2) Sleep timer / auto shutoff.

3) Customizable information display in Now Playing and Song Queue (e.g. show Artist when scrolling through Song Queue along with song name).

4) Even less expensive M2000 :) .

mikepa

Wed May 25, 2005 10:48 am

I’ve mentioned the request to have “shuffle” mode be persistent cross a suspend / resume cycle and I was told that it might be tricky to do this.

Since I find myself almost always listening to playlists and of course I don't want to always listen to the tracks in the same order or I'll never hear some of them - so I listen in shuffle mode. It's annoying to have to select shuffle mode each and every time I resume the Roku from sleep so I was wondering if we could have an option to always shuffle playlists, but play albums in track order.
Regards Mike

na9d

Thu May 26, 2005 6:34 am

I agree - having to manually hit shuffle all the time is a pain.

And this morning, I started listening. I added an artist to my playlist. Then started playing. I wanted to shuffle all his songs, so I hit shuffle. The first song finished and the second started playing. All working like it should. But then when the second song got done, the third song started. But it was the exact same song that was played as the FIRST track. Apparently, if you start playing a song and THEN hit shuffle, the Roku doesn't realize that track has already been played. That's screwy.

Jon

jarno

Native Flac support, please

Mon May 30, 2005 12:20 am

I do not own SoundBridge yet. I consider it the most interesting product, but lack of native Flac support has been a showstopper to me. Could Roku open up its plans to support Flac a bit?

SqueezeBox2 has ~perfect specs, but I do not like how it looks.

-J

na9d

Mon May 30, 2005 5:26 am

So buy a Roku and use the SlimServer software to play FLAC. It will give you the same interface the Squeezebox would use if you bougth one and all the Roku advantages.

Jon

mikepa

Tue May 31, 2005 2:48 pm

Hey Roku,

I don't want to take time away from development, so how about getting one of the Program managers to identify all the feature requests in this list and then summarize them so new requesters don't have to wade through 22 pages to see if the idea has already been thought of.

In the ideal world the PM would have been doing this all along, so how about sharing the results?
Regards Mike

crazykiwi

I would love a sleep timer!

Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:56 am

The soundbridge is awesome, but if it had a sleep timer then that would be even better!! And to support realaudio streams, like the bbc ones. But the sleep timer would be the best!
Marcus

Bear

Suggestion...

Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:37 am

When 2.3 gets finalized and released it might be time to close this thread out and start a new one.

For the base of the new thread, someone (at Roku of course) should give the then current version number of the software and probably a pointer to the features it now includes.

And then the currently requested features should be listed...
  1. group format request together
  2. just order them in the order they appear in the current thread (so as not to give any of them any weight)
  3. If a feature is known not to be able to be added, maybe list those at the end with the reason why not.
I'm suggesting this as the current thread is getting too long to go through and it might be good to have one based on the currently released software.
-----Bear

tb_ks

Speed Browse

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:00 am

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not. Too many posts to read even with search.

Why can't the 'speed browse' rollover to the beginning after reaching the end of the alphabet?
If I'm at the start of the browse list why can't I back up to say the W's without having to go all the way forward to the end?

Just a nuisance really. This thing is just way too cool. Even better using optical out. :D

conger

Re: Speed Browse

Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:30 am

tb_ks wrote:
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not. Too many posts to read even with search.

Why can't the 'speed browse' rollover to the beginning after reaching the end of the alphabet?
If I'm at the start of the browse list why can't I back up to say the W's without having to go all the way forward to the end?

Just a nuisance really. This thing is just way too cool. Even better using optical out. :D

Rollover has been requested many many times. Rollover should be available of every menu. It's a bit crude not to have it really.
XP SP2, Linksys WRT54G wired configuration, SB M1000, iTunes 6.0.0.18 for main mp3 music and playlist server, SlimServer 6.0.2 with modified Slim.exe by bpa, AlienBBC 0.98, Mplayer 1.0pre6 for BBC radio. NAV2003 Prof, standard XP firewall.