Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikepa

Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:17 am

I've been turning my Roku off more now I have the new Beta software - so I can see the nice clock. However this is now emphasising the need for a "resume where you left off" when playing a playlist. It's a pain to have to select the playlist again and press select four times to get it playing - oh and don't forget having to press shuffle too!
Regards Mike

grommet

Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:38 pm

I'd like the built-in radio function to offer at least streaming bitrate information via "get info" -- there is basically no information available for the stream in the current interface. It's sometimes hard to tell if you are getting the stream/bitrate you initially wanted...

Tomas

Progress bar

Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:25 pm

Now with the new proportional large font (in the beta FW) I have started to use that font instead of the small font for showing track information. When doing so on the M1000, I would really like to be able to turn off the progress bar to make the active display larger. When listening to internet radio streams it definately only takes up space.

One way to make a change would be to change the progress bar to a vertical bar and then also remove the time information.

I would like to be able to chose one of these settings:
1. Progress bar as today
2. Vertical progress bar with no time
3. No progress bar

If it would be possible to set different default settings for internet radio and library music, that would be great.

conger

Re: Progress bar

Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:52 am

Tomas wrote:
When listening to internet radio streams it definately only takes up space.

One way to make a change would be to change the progress bar to a vertical bar and then also remove the time information.

I would like to be able to chose one of these settings:
1. Progress bar as today
2. Vertical progress bar with no time
3. No progress bar

If it would be possible to set different default settings for internet radio and library music, that would be great.

I think this is a very good suggestion. The progress bar area just eats up valuable display area and is sometimes totally redundant and often not neccessary.
XP SP2, Linksys WRT54G wired configuration, SB M1000, iTunes 6.0.0.18 for main mp3 music and playlist server, SlimServer 6.0.2 with modified Slim.exe by bpa, AlienBBC 0.98, Mplayer 1.0pre6 for BBC radio. NAV2003 Prof, standard XP firewall.

oldking

Re: Progress bar

Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:46 am

Tomas wrote:
Now with the new proportional large font (in the beta FW) I have started to use that font instead of the small font for showing track information. When doing so on the M1000, I would really like to be able to turn off the progress bar to make the active display larger. When listening to internet radio streams it definately only takes up space.

I just want to echo this.. the progress bar has no value (it always stays empty) on streaming internet radio. This wastes display space. (M1000)

dwl

streaming

Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:47 pm

Is there any hope for the ability to have streaming content? I would love to not have to download DRM10 content from Napster in order to have it play on my Soundbridge. It would save a LOT of hard drive space to not have to download it and just have it stream through the computer and play on the Soundbridge.
DWL

RokuPatrick

Re: streaming

Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:55 pm

dwl wrote:
Is there any hope for the ability to have streaming content? I would love to not have to download DRM10 content from Napster in order to have it play on my Soundbridge. It would save a LOT of hard drive space to not have to download it and just have it stream through the computer and play on the Soundbridge.

Unfortunately, that's really up to napster and the other service providers. They would need to provide methods for either WMC or devices to access their servers and account information. Rhapsody does allow us to stream from their servers however (software still needs to be running on the computer), so perhaps you might want to look into that.

dwl

hmm

Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Well, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately in Canada, Rhapsody is not available. I will have to harass Napster.
DWL

mikepa

Insert Song

Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:47 am

One feature I needed the other night was the ability to continue playing the current playlist (or album) but to insert the song I just browsed for next in the song queue. This would work similarly to add, but insert the song into the song list, not add it on the end. This ability exists in the “Party Shuffle” mode of iTunes.
Regards Mike

mwhitnall

Display composer only available for "Classical" ge

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:19 am

The "Display Composer" option only seems to be available for tracks whose genre is listed as exactly "Classical." Any other genre doesn't work, e.g., "Classical, Early" or "Classical, Modern." That means we would have to lump those genres, as well as "Experimental" etc. into one huge "Classical" super-genre in order to display the composer. Such a broad categorization would not be very useful. The composer's name is an interesting piece of information for any music! Please allow us to specify more genres for this option.

habash

Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:38 pm

Great product!

To add to the list although I am sure they are already mentioned;

I have three requests.

1. A random suffle mode directly in the soundbridge. Like a party shuffle in Itunes or auto dj in Musicmatch. Ability to select genre/artist and select duration. Then songs automatically selected by Soundbbridge.

2. Alarm clock and sleep function. When you have that I will buy a second unit for the bedroom and replace the outdated clockradio.
Although the clock display will need to be able to be dimmed more than at the moment. With R2.3 beta I find the display at its dimmest ok for the lounge room but not for a bedroom.

3. Support for other radio streams (Windows and Realplayer types)

DavidH

Proxy server support

Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:44 am

Wow, this thing is so cool I want to buy another one for the office! I was bringing it to work to show all my friends and realized, halfway there, that it does not have support for a proxy server. That would be really great to have for those of us who want to stream Internet Radio at work and don't want to use the computer.
David
Roku SB Rocks!

cape1232

Feature Request: Save Song Info When Streaming 'net Radio

Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:36 am

First, compliments: I never listened to Internet radio until I got a SoundBridge, because when I want to listen to the radio, I am in the living room, and don't want to have to lug my computer out there etc. etc. Now that I have a SB, I listen to all kinds of stations that play music that isn't easily available in my market.

So, I often run across a song I like and would like to listen to again. It would be ***great*** if I could press a button or two on my Roku remote to save the song info that is already being displayed about the current song being streamed.

I realize a workaround already exists with the web interface. I can copy the info out of my browser window. But the great thing about the SB is that it can play internet radio with the computer off, which I do most of the time. So in that case, that workaround isn't a workaround.

Basically, I'd like to accumulate lists of songs somewhere so that I can later go find them on iTunes or whatever. Accumulating the list as a playlist in iTunes seems like the most convenient thing. The SB would have to cache the info for a while if my computer is off.

I've been dying for a "feature" like this for years, from someone, somewhere. This is the first time it has seemed possible. (The ideal feature is to hear a song somewhere [cafe, restaurant, concert, etc.], stick your mobile phone [or other microphone-enabled device] up in the air and press the "what is this song?" button.)

timbob

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:06 pm

Cape,

Nice idea!

FYI there is already a service in Europe which identifies music by dialling a number on a mobile. Google for 'shazam' for more info. I understand that there is an equivalent service in trials in the US:
http://www.411song.com/

Cheers,

Tim

ian.addison

Album Shuffle

Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:28 pm

I wanted to add my vote for an "album shuffle" option, rather than just shuffling at the track level.

I'm sure there were others requesting this, but can't find it just now......... see next request.

Also, I was pleased to find that I could select shuffle before I start playing a playlist. Good, thought I, it means that I won't always start with the same track. But, no, it seems it does startwith the same track even though shuffle has been preselected (and the shuffle icon is showing). The second and subsequent tracks played seem random enough. Bug?

Thanks

Ian