Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ian.addison

Feature Request forum.....

Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:34 pm

........ or a better search.

I was trying to search for feature requests on "album shuffle" as per my last post. Sure enough, the search reckoned that there was a post somewhere in the feature request thread. Somewhere in all 24 pages, that is. I got tired of looking for it.

Am I being dumb and there really is a way to hone down the search?

If not, why not create a separate forum for feature requests, and then each request could have a thread of its own - easier for us, and easier for you, maybe?

thanks

Ian

Baby Jocko

Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:52 am

Crossover

Alloca

Better Search...

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:41 am

Sorry I didn't read the full thread, so this has probably been done to death. If so, consider this an add on of support.

a) I would much prefer it always started from letter 'L' in the browse 'drop downs'. I don't think it supports wrap-around from a-z and z-a currently, which would be the most trivial thing. I'd actually prefer if each letter requested always reset to 'L'

b) let me use |<< and >>| to auto seek to the next vowel in that direction in the letter picker API for searching.

c) This is way too much to ask... Give me a spec for programming a remote so that your device will accept the digits 0 through 9 directly. Then let me use this with whatever remote I program to do direct data entry phone-style. I don't know what it's called, but far and away the best api for search without a keyboard (as opposed to data creation) is the one where I just send you a sequence of digits and you filter down to whatever matches the combinitorials of phone-letter possibilities (ie: 3-4-4 would match both EGG and DIG). This mechanism can filter almost antything to a workable number with 3 or 4 button pushes. I really wish the remote that came with it had a number pad!

Oh - this thing is awesome. And by awesome, I mean totally sweet!

OK - thought about it a little more this afternoon. If it was implementable, you guys should just go ahead and make the 'Advanced Roku Soundbridge Remote' for $34.99 and make some money. :) But anyways... On browse I would love to have the insta-filter on prefix from typing the 'phone code'. On Search I would kill to be able to enter 4 or 5 numbers and get the hits. On pnp search this is probably not really implementable since I guess you probably can't send a regexp like .*[abc][pqrs].* and would get stuck with 9 to 16 combo's just to try to grab 2 digits worth of possible hits and client post-filter. :( Oh well.

Joe

Bear

aacplus streaming

Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:56 pm

Some radio stations are adding aacplus streaming.

So it would be nice if the SoundBridge supported that. Especially since at some of those radio stations they don't support mp3 streams.
-----Bear

timbo

More for the wish list...

Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:01 pm

Have to say time for a tidy-up in here - too many messages to read so again sorry if this has already been said...

1) Blank screen option - when listening in darkened room the visualizer can be intrusive and so is the only other option of constantly scrolling info all the time. My Hi-fi has a 'display' button which simply turns off the display (in Hi-fi circles this is thought to help with digital interference from the scrolling chip as well - but let’s not get started on that one :-) Perhaps a single (very slowly crawling if you want to avoid burn-in) dot can be left displayed to depict power on to differentiate from to the complete blank screen of standby if you like (please no Ping Pong as suggested earlier that would drive me nuts!!!).

2) An adjustable delay before the visualizer comes on would also be great - I don't get a chance to read the track info on mine it comes on in under 5 seconds!

PS. Making selectable the option to have the track info automatically interrupting blank screen or visualizer display or not would also be cool - just because I want a blank screen doesn’t mean to say I don’t want track info - I know hard to please isn’t me :-)

3) A 'Delete from song queue’ option is a must have - say make one press of the ‘Add’ button add a song to the queue and the next press take it off if it is already added...oh and you really do need a marker displayed next to the song to show it is in the queue that goes on and off as you press the Add button.

4) Again a plea for menus to scroll right round to where they started - pretty basic this one!

5) A ‘stop’ button - yes I know there has been controversy of why it needs one but it does, just believe me. The difference between ‘stop’ and ‘pause’ is simple - ‘Pause’ starts again from where you left off - ‘Stop’ goes back to the top of the playlist ready for you to play again or do something else (just like what happens when a playlist comes to an end now). I vote for the ‘exit’ button doing this job - it doesn’t do anything when in play mode anyway?

6) If you must add things like sleep timers and alarm clocks can you please, please not use up room that might interfere with the sound (forgive me if the control apps have no effect on room needed for the DAC to work properly or analogue bits - not an engineer don't you know!) I plug this little wonder into a Hi-fi system it has taken me years to accumulate - and I am seriously thinking of losing my CD player as it may not be needed! If you mess with the sound I will have to relegated my Roku to 'toy' status and go to bed early instead of streaming music till the wee small hours :-)

7) Nothing else I can think of - it’s brilliant, I love it and can’t wait to get a DAC (or change my Meridian pre-amp for their upsampling DAC/Pre Processor to see what the coax out sounds like if the internal DAC sounds this good :-)

CarbonToe

Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:17 am

Current Soundbridge
Ability to show lyrics (scrolling)
Real Media Support (ie BBC Radio) [not though SlimServer]
More Visulisations (Scrolling News feeds also would be great to display whilst on standby)
Scrolling Artists Name/Ablum in two line mode (ie in the format Album Artist - Album)
Cue/Review buttons
Possibility to Cue songs/albums/artists/playlists whilst Roku is playing (using remote control)
Bold (Brighter) version of the new beta font
Richer web control/support
Ability to have a 'blank' screensaver
Better SlimServer support

Future Models
How about a Colour screen (with ability to show Album Art)

Sorry if any of the above are repeats or already a feature, I'm still learning!!!

adamw

Auto Refreshing Playlists

Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:48 am

This thread is HUGE, I’ve quickly scanned it so apologies if my idea is already here.

I love my SB, but my problem is it isn’t easy to use when you’re having a party. I want to be able to choose tracks from a pc or mac via itunes (or A N Other server). Now I know that itunes doesn’t support this but here is a neat (in my opinion) way to do this.

When the SB is playing tracks from a playlist it should periodically (every 10 secs or so) re-download the current playlist from the server, whenever the SB notices that the playlist has changed it would, while continuing to play the current track, work out where in the playlist it is and continue from there.

This way it would be possible to add tracks to a playlist from itunes and within 10 secs or so (make this configurable) it would appear in the queue on the SB.

The tricky part is working out where you are when the current track gets removed from the playlist, but I’m sure this could be done given a little thought :wink:
Cheers
Adam

horizon

Internet Radio - Option to Bit Rate

Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:23 pm

Hi Roku-Team

Kind of nerdy I agree, but it would be really cool if you could add an option to display the bit rate when streaming internet radio etc ... Perhaps in place of the (-----) - which appears unused for Internet radio.

Not really important, but just a whimsical idea on my part! :idea:

Keep cranking out the updates - I have said it before and i'll say it again - you have a great product. :D

Graham
(M500/M1000 v 2.3.36) Winamp/Twonyvision.

mraneri

Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:06 pm

When I'm using the webpage (http://192.168.xxx.xxx/SoundBridge.html) to skip to the next or previous song, the response comes back SO FAST, that the song name hasn't even changed yet.. Can you delay serving up the web page, following a << or >> until you have the next song information available to be served. If I immediately refresh, I get the updated information.

- Mike

Baby Jocko

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:51 pm

CarbonToe wrote:
Future Models
How about a Colour screen (with ability to show Album Art)

You'd probably want a Photobridge using your own TV as the screen for that. But, I know what you mean -- a nicer display. However, a color display would probably come in the form of an LCD, which would require backlighting and a bit more money. Therefore, I would prefer an EL display. EL is inexpensive and has no backlighting -- black is black. Even better, EL has extremely high resolution and fluid motion. Why none of these MP3 streamers have an EL display is beyond me. VFD and LCD is so yesterday.

And one more thing, CROSSOVER tracks.

UKChris

Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:31 am

Baby Jocko wrote:

What are crossover tracks in this context?
Draytek 2600VG Router, wireless SB M1000, wired Twonky on NSLU2 for main mp3 etc music, Cidero on wireless PCs for control and playlist creation

carman63

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:55 am

UKChris wrote:
Baby Jocko wrote:

What are crossover tracks in this context?

My guess would be cross-fading tracks, is what was meant. Say, an adjustable (in seconds) overlap from the currently playing song into the next one.

And if I'm wrong, I like my idea as a suggestion for future releases ;)

Baby Jocko

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:47 am

Audio crossover (or I should have referred to it as crossfading) -- as Track A fades out, Track B starts to play. A transitional segue from track to track instead of momentary silence. Virtually every decent digital music player has crossfading ability, including WMP, WinAmp, even Squeezebox2! Some do it better than others. For example, OtsDJ and SqrSoft's plugin for WinAmp find the beats per second and time the start of the next track on beat at just the right dB level. I won't even expect Roku to come out with a crossfade that spectacular. But, they should at least have a basic crossfade like WMP!

grommet

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:31 pm

I'd be happy if SoundBridge played perfectly gapless on all content instead of just uncompressed or converted lossless content... (including LAME encoded MP3, which *does* have the information to allow true gapless playback). Crossfade would be interesting, though.

The Kev

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:51 am

I would like to have the ability to choose how/what my soundbridge loads. For example, I would like to have more radio presets instead of visualizations or Different size text, which I don't use

A dimmer for night time use would be good.

And of course support for real and windows radio, although its quite fun trying to find Mp3 radio stations

The Kev