Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vs

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:39 am

Yep, definitely me too....

WetTechHead

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:23 pm

I purchased an M1000 last week for my bedroom and just ordered an M2000 for my living room. I am very impressed with the unit, but like many others was shocked to find that you cannot fast forward or rewind. This was not mentioned in any of the 50 reviews that I read prior to purchase. Most seemed overly concered with the fact that you cannot play music purchased through iTunes. I don't use iTunes and don't care. I am sure that there are many people out there with the same opinion. Everyone, however, can use a ff/ RW feature. The lack of this feature is my one greatest complaint. [size=18]Get us a remote and firmware that can do this!!![/size]
Hit Meck

Carsten

Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:11 pm

If possible, make the fastforwarding speed slowly increase. This way if you have a 60min song or so that you dont have to hold the button down for ages to get to a specific point.

Hope this kinda gives you the idea :)

First 5 seconds: 2 Seconds Jump
Next 5 secodns: 4 Seconds Jump
etc, etc

Carsten

GeneArch

Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:08 pm

While I'd like to see this as well.. there are some technical issues that must be considered:

Remember folks, this is compressed and streaming audio. How would you propose the Roku folks handle this? Would a 15 second "pre buffer" make sense? Would the SoundBridge stream ahead and play from the middle of this buffer?

I've never found an internet stream that allowed this functionality.

frodopopodo

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:37 pm

other clients support this feature, so there must be a way!

tri

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 pm

GeneArch wrote:
Remember folks, this is compressed and streaming audio. How would you propose the Roku folks handle this?

For formats with no time indexing (those ones are evil anyway) it doesn't need to be so exact. Even for those, one can make quite good estimates. Of course for streaming live sources (e.g. internet radios) ff/rw must be disabled. It could actually also be disabled for files for which length is not known (this is a limitation in many software players anyway).

I've already earlier proposed a following solution.

Utilize the progress bar. Pressing ff-button would not interrupt the playing of the stream. Rather the progress indicator and time-display of the stream starts to move forward (or backwards if rewinding). The ff/rw could possibly accelerate when button is pressed for longer time; I don't have firm opinion on that. When the ff (or rw) button is released, the playback is restarted from the position that is displayed on the progress bar.

At least against iTunes (or mt-daapd) servers this would be more or less trivial.

--tri

RokuMike

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:36 pm

More "less" than "more". ;)

First off, especially with VBR files, there's not an exact mapping of a time index to a particular offset in the file. A seeking UI would be much nicer if it had the time index displayed.

Not all formats support just seeking to a file index and playing. In particular, DRM content and transcoded content have very high overhead for seeking, and other formats require additional parsing of the stream to find the nearest frame start.

It also presents a problem for displaying correctly the elapsed time indication once you've done the seek.

Is it possible? Yes. Is it trivial? No.

jonstatt

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:00 am

The audiotron could do it and so can the squeezebox, although I don't know if its file format limited.

I think the Roku folks have done a fantastic job with product concept and design. But when it comes to implementation I think they are making mistakes already made by other competitor products (e.g too many bugs already seen with other players) which they could have learnt from, as well as ways to implement features like this, which have existed on other products for several years already (e.g Audiotron). How about some reverse engineering? :)

Jonathan

Carsten

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:33 pm

Count me in :)

RokuMike

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:28 pm

Folks, seriously, we get the message. We understand it's a desirable feature. It's on our list of feature enhancements. Okay? :)

Carsten

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:40 am

Yeah, I think we all understand that all the features that are requested on planned for future releases. But (not tryin to be rude) how much time a week are you guys putting in the development of the SoundBridges firmware?

Bc as far as I'm concerned, the updated firmware release in Dec (i think) was a pretty big one. Then this last one which fixed the digital channel swap issue, which I think is a fairly big issue too, but it works now :). Anyway, with the last release you guys hardly added any features that where requested.

Yes, I do understand that some features like fastforward might be a difficult task but how about minor stuff (sleep timer (not sure if you guys have a RTC onboard but processor doesnt turn off anyway when on standby), etc).

Again, not tryin to be harsh here, just wondering. If it would help I think people would be willing to pay for more features; I'd probably pay like 5$ via paypal or something. Just a thought.

Thanks Guys,
Carsten

RokuMike

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:50 pm

Carsten wrote:
Yeah, I think we all understand that all the features that are requested on planned for future releases. But (not tryin to be rude) how much time a week are you guys putting in the development of the SoundBridges firmware?

All day, every day.

Bc as far as I'm concerned, the updated firmware release in Dec (i think) was a pretty big one. Then this last one which fixed the digital channel swap issue, which I think is a fairly big issue too, but it works now :). Anyway, with the last release you guys hardly added any features that where requested.

That's because it was a specific, high-priority bug-fix release, done in parallel with feature development so that we could fix the channel-swap issue as rapidly as possible.

Carsten

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:33 pm

kool!

UKChris

Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:27 am

If I said I love my Roku then you might guess that there's a but coming ... well I do and there is :-)

I love it but for the omission of this feature ... Each update I keep hoping but no joy so far. I was hoping that it would be included in the radio but it seems not to be there yet.

May we have an update on this feature please?
Draytek 2600VG Router, wireless SB M1000, wired Twonky on NSLU2 for main mp3 etc music, Cidero on wireless PCs for control and playlist creation

bcoate

please add fast forward

Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 am

/second

me too