Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 pm

My apologies for attempting to add a little balance to the thread, but beleive it or not, there are reasons why Roku haven`t chosen to develop FF for the soundbridge in the three years this thread has been trundling on. The thing that you guys don`t like, is that you are not told by Roku what those reasons are.

Soundbridge does everything its advertised to do, and does it very well. Anything else is icing on the cake. Reading some of these posts, its easy to forget this.

Wondercow

Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:45 pm

By my rough count most posters here want it vs one

It's not about how many want fast-forward. It's about how many keep complaining about when Roku has clearly said that they understand it's a desired feature but that they're not exactly sure how to implement it. It's also about the people who spur others on by coming in here and saying "company A can do it, so obviously Roku can do it!" or "I'm a computer engineer and I know it's possible!" thereby stoking the fires. No one here *knows* anything about the hard/software except for the Roku folks. And since they continue to augment the software with *user-requested* features we can't really complain that they don't listen, now can we?

They've heard us, and given an answer. "We" just don't like the resonse and assume "we" know better.
~Moo!
-----------------------
iTunes, iPod, iMac, iPhone, not Itunes, IPod, IMAC, iphone
MAC = Media Access Control while Mac = a brand of computers

bobinchicago

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 pm

dinkeldorf wrote:
This really should be a PHPBB poll. By my rough count most posters here want it vs one.
That may be because those of us who have no use for it and prefer that precious coding time be devoted to other features are too polite to interrupt this thread. :wink:

dinkeldorf

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:27 am

Of course you're completely right! It's akin to "100% of complaints in the complaint box are complaints" :wink:

My recently renewed frustration is I've gotten used to FF/RW for podcasts and had just set the redundant m1001 up in the basement.

bobinchicago wrote:
That may be because those of us who have no use for it and prefer that precious coding time be devoted to other features are too polite to interrupt this thread. :wink:
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins
Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW
Gigabit whole home network; 802.11BGN, D link DNS323 2x500GB

humba

Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Don`t fall into the trap of thinking you have all the facts. Comparing apples and oranges doesn`t work.
Why apples and oranges? The DMA1000 is just as much an audio streamer as the Roku.. the latter just has a display so you can use it without a TV.

Of course, I'm open to actual facts (best coupled with stuff like protocol specifications) so if you have any ;)

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:33 am

humba wrote:
Why apples and oranges?
Because the products are not functionally and technically identical. Thats why. The companies and their respective product strategies are not identical either.

humba wrote:
Of course, I'm open to actual facts (best coupled with stuff like protocol specifications) so if you have any ;)

Now thats just plain arrogant. I`m not going to be goaded into a p*ssing contest with specs. Its beside the point, and you know it.

With you being an engineer, you`ll already know that theres a huge difference between asking "is this device capable of doing fast forward" and asking "is it practical to implement".

Remember that I never said it was impossible. I`m sure they can make a Soundbridge do an approximation of fast forward in the labs. I`m simply suggesting that FF may not be practical or cost effective to implement.

Like everone else on this thread your just a consumer. You don`t get to tell Roku what they work on, or second guess their decisions. And trying to make out that you know you know better than the company who designed the product is folly.

zulu99

Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:56 am

Hello, i just found this topic about fast-forwarding. I would love this feature!

Any Updates? Will there be a FF-Function in the Feature? Maybe a offical Roku-Comment to that topic?

Thanks!

KlaasV

Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:52 am

The good news is:

RokuMike wrote:
Okay, okay! We get the message! :lol: It's not an easy thing to do with streamed, compressed content, so don't expect this next week or anything, but we'll sure look into it.

The bad news is that there are two minor problems: RokuMike posted that on Dec 20, 2004 - and he left Rokulabs seven months ago. But I'm sure someone is still looking into it...

Regards
Klaas

dinkeldorf

Tue May 13, 2008 1:52 pm

It'll never happen. Get another device if it's a show stopper.
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

Gigabit whole home network; 802.11BGN, D link DNS323 2x500GB

Tom McMurrain

Fast Forward/Rewind-still not available?

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:19 pm

I seriously need fast forward and rewind for audio books and podcasts. Apparently this is not something that is likely to happen but I want to add my name to the request list.

BTW: I run a software company. Over the years people have often asked if some feature or another could be implemented. The answer is always "yes". They never ask how much it would cost and when I ask how much they would be willing to pay, the answer is either "a little" or "nothing". In such cases, economics trumps technology.

nickw

Re: Fast Forward/Rewind-still not available?

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:45 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but there now exists a workaround for those of you still looking for FF/Rewind.

See the thread in Roku General about Pandora and the Soundbridge:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... &start=105

Basically, Pandora is a free internet music streaming source that a lot of people like.. Folks were trying to figure out how to play it over a Soundbridge, and discovered, inadvertantly, a way around the FF/Rewind conundrum.

There now exists software for most platforms that will hijack an audio stream from a PC or Mac and broadcast it as a stream over a URL. Icecast/OddCast seem to be the solution of choice on Windows and Linux, and NiceCast (commercially supported, $40 from Roguewave) for the Mac.

So the workaround is to play the podcast on your PC or Mac, stream it as a dumb stream, then play that on the Roku. You can now use whatever PC/Mac controls you have for your music server to skip to wherever you want in your content.

For example, I have a MacPro laptop running iTunes. I start the iTunes server, run Nicecast to hijack the audio stream, then play that on my Soundbridge.

Using the Itunes remote application for my iPhone is gravy that gives me a very functional remote to sit on the couch and skip through / rewind podcasts at my whim.

Yes, I know it's turning the Soundbridge into a "dumb" device that's no longer performing the decoding but relying on the server to do it, but I have to ask - what's dumber, a remote device that simply listens to a stream, or a remote device that has no capability for FF/rewind?

Hope this helps someone one.

- Nick

Tom McMurrain

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks for the tip. I'm a newbie and have not seen this work-around before. I'll give it a try.

MikeL1

Re: please please add fast forward

Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:45 pm

Am bumping into this, for the same reasons listed. I see that there is a seek() function for roAudioPlayer, so one could actually implement short jumps forward/back if there were a tell() (or equivalent) function to get the current position in the audio stream. Also, without such a function, the progress indicator on audio springboard screens is somewhat useless, because there is no way to know how to update it.

gojets

Re: please please add fast forward

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:15 am

I would love to see a little button that would go back like 30 seconds, like I had on my cable remote. thanks