Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuMike

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:08 am

Yeah, unfortunately, what I mean by "not seekable" means that you can't just seek into some location in the file and commence playing. This is the area where DRM and transcoding are particular problems.

markwill

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:19 am

RokuMike wrote:
Yeah, unfortunately, what I mean by "not seekable" means that you can't just seek into some location in the file and commence playing. This is the area where DRM and transcoding are particular problems.

Nothing at all? Of any nature? Not even jump "some" amount? I know I am stretching here but I (personally) don't need any significant level of accuracy. And what about offering this for non-DRM music - easier?

By the way, do other vendors (competitors) all omit this feature too?

Thanks for the prompt response, Mike.

nickw

Thanks Mike, how about a partial solution?

Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:22 pm

First, many, many thanks to Mike Kobb for taking the time to reply.. it's good to know that it's at least "still on the list," even if it is proving very difficult to do - that means there's still hope.

A number of folks have suggested perhaps releasing a partial solution - let me add my voice to their pleas. I'm sure Roku would love to provide a complete, 100%, working solution. You seem like the kind of guys that take great pride in their software, and who don't rush to release half-baked code - as a former software engineer and current IT manager, I can really appreciate that.

But, given a solution that works for all formats may not be feasible, why not release something that works for the formats that are possible? I think many, many of us would be happy with some sort of solution that allows us to ff/skip through simple MP3's, and would be quite understanding if the release notes / user manual said "doesn't work for DRM'ed files.." Heck, you could even write it so attempting to FF on a non-supported file flashes a message on the unit say "not supported on this format" - or some such.

Anyway, thanks again for your hard work. I do appreciate your continued attempts to improve what is allready a fine product.

- Nick

gregko

Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:03 am

RokuMike wrote:
It's still on the "want to have" list, but there's no ETA to report. It's a very hard problem. Not all codecs are seekable, and transcoding and DRM add extra complexity.

Mike,
I second the other users vote to add at least partial support for fast forward/rewind. At least MP3 files stored locally... If not all servers will support it, heck, I'll be happy if only iTunes or Firefly (or something else I can download/buy and install here) will work for seeking within audio files. Currently Roku Radio is pretty much useless for listening not only audiobooks, but even something like a 30 minutes podcast downloaded to a local computer.

Greg

mlomker

Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:14 pm

gregko wrote:
Currently Roku Radio is pretty much useless for listening not only audiobooks, but even something like a 30 minutes podcast downloaded to a local computer.

There are multiple threads on this but I won't miss an opportunity to say that I really want this. My #1 use of the Roku's is to listen to talk-radio podcasts and not being able to FF through a 2 hour show is unbearable. I don't care what server software I need to install...just give me one option.
Two Radios w/WMP11 on Vista

dinkeldorf

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:04 pm

FWIW add my vote to this for podcats, audiobooks any LP mp3...

And slim devices do this but it's format dependent as per:
http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?si ... artlang=en

I imagine the roku will be similar if & when it gets going.
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins
Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW
Gigabit whole home network; 802.11BGN, D link DNS323 2x500GB

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:40 pm

dinkeldorf wrote:
FWIW add my vote to this for podcats, audiobooks any LP mp3...

And slim devices do this but it's format dependent as per:
http://faq.slimdevices.com/index.php?si ... artlang=en

I imagine the roku will be similar if & when it gets going.

One important difference to consider here is that for the SqueezeBox, the fast-forwarding is performed by the server. To implement it on the Roku, it would require the Roku itself to do the fast-forwarding and rewinding, since that's not a supported feature of UPnP A/V servers.

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dinkeldorf

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:28 pm

Good point Endless but I'd argue the end justifies the means. And lets face it we're all victims of feature envy.
Roku M1001 (releaged to the basemetn); Harman Kardon AVR430 & AVR235. 5 indoor + 1 outdoor zones +Theatre room 5.1 built ins

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

TheEndless
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:44 pm

dinkeldorf wrote:
Good point Endless but I'd argue the end justifies the means. And lets face it we're all victims of feature envy.

Oh no.. I wasn't arguing against it as a valuable feature. I, too, have run across several instances where it would have come in handy. I was just trying to point out that using the SqueezeBox as an example of a player that supports it isn't really valid, since it's the server software that's actually doing the work. The equivalent for the SoundBridge, I suppose, would be adding it as a feature to Firefly (which I believe Ron has mentioned as a desirable and potential future option).

TheEndless
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)

dinkeldorf

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:57 pm

I appreciate your accurary and specificity. My real concern is the features race & which model /ecosystem ultimately proves more robust.

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

tal

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:53 am

dinkeldorf wrote:
My real concern is the features race & which model /ecosystem ultimately proves more robust.

I think that shifting a lot of processing into the processor and leaving the SqueezeBox as a more or less a stupid receiver has some advantages in implementing features more easily since it could be done on a powerfull PC and using existing libraries whereas implementing it within a smart client like the SoundBridge is more work.

But in the end for me an open client like the SoundBridge that works with various "industry standard" :wink: servers is more future proof than a system that is build around its own propritary server. For example now with WMP11 every Windows user will get its server for free and can connect their SoundBridge "out of the box" and mix with different devices from other manufactures. Of course its great to have additional device-optimized servers available as an option so that advanced users can do more if they like.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

dinkeldorf

Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:56 am

The proof's in the pudding as they say. I'm not sure if this model has the long term legs.

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

tal

Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:52 pm

dinkeldorf wrote:
The proof's in the pudding as they say. I'm not sure if this model has the long term legs.

Nobody can tell what model will be the one of the future (although being backed by industry giants like Apple, MS and Intel might be an indication). At least I find it more likely that DAAP and UPnP will (slowly) evolve over time rather than Apple and Microsoft licensing SlimServer :lol:

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

dinkeldorf

Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:59 am

Touche n DAAP & UPNP! But in the mean time we lose on features (pandora, slim plug ins). Let's check point in a year's time.

Sonos ZP100 x 2 NEW

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 am

I think its time face facts on this issue. Its highly unlikely that were gonna get any kind of FF functionality on the current generation of Soundbridge models. If you wanted it that bad, then you`ve probably already gone to another product.

Its technically impractical (and probably impossible) to implement FF for all servers and all codecs for all Soundbridge models.

Implementing any kind of half way house / two tier solution would provoke a significant consumer backlash.

Its implausable to think that Roku would bust their guts to implement a partial solution just so that those comsumer for it doesn`t work can haul them over the coals.