Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

duttonst
Topic Author

Waking the server

Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:39 am

I know it's been raised lots of times in the past but any news on wake-on-lan support for the Soundbridge?

This seems like an important feature to me: I'm not going to leave my Mac on all the time because it's bad for the environment and my energy bills.

Currently I have to boot/wake the Mac up every time I want to use the Roku - my wife usually considers this "not worth the hassle" because it's at the other end of the house.

Much better to let my Mac go to sleep and then spring into life when I turn the SB on.

How about it? For the sake of the environment if nothing else :D ?

Andy

geff

Sorry to bump this old subject!

Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:26 am

Sorry to reserect an old post but has this feature been implemented? I agree with every other users comment on how important this feature is. Aren't we supposed to be all environmentally aware these days...uneccessarily running hardware 24/7 when it can be easily solved is just crazy.

Otherwise I love this product, my favorite Xmas pressy!

Boulderite

Number one issue

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:28 pm

For me, this is probably the Number One Issue for Roku products. I'd rather have this fixed than any new codec, wifi security issue, or media library feature. It's incredibly annoying to have to walk to my basement server to wake it up so I can play its files. After all, what's the point of all the other enhancements if the server isn't up and running?

ismarketing

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Add me to the list folks who would really like to see this feature. What say you RokuMike?

antonh

Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:25 am

Please add me to the list as well. My other media streaming devices can do it, including my Xbox360 as well as a well-known product from a major competitor (also begins with an S ...)

I think this a significant issue. Don't know about in the US, but in the UK energy consumption is a hot topic. Companies that demonstrate that they are carefully considering and reducing the "CO2 footprint" of their products tend to get a more positive attention from the media which often leads to more people buying the product - so I don't think this is just a "nice to have".

It shouldn't be too hard to implement - just remember the MAC from the previous connection, and send a WOL magic packet to that MAC before establishing each connection (I think it will be ignored if the server is already switched on).

Commlock

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:34 am

I believe that the WOL feature is a must... I presume that most of the people use Roku with Macs or other music servers supporting WOL. I have to go to the end of the house and wake up my Mac before opening my Roku, that's totally flower. If I had initially know that (shame on me), I would have preferred Squeezebox, though it is twice the price but with additional features. I can only hope that the devs add it with next firmware upgrade.

mjmeyer

DIY WOL??

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:01 am

Agreed that this SHOULD be a feature.

I have the same problem with my PC and waking from S3 sleep.

I solved the walking to the other end of the house problem by writing a really small app for our windows mobile smartphones that sends the magic packet to the MAC and then I can listen from bed.

The phone charger is right there by the bed side and it's on the house wifi network.

There may also be some routers that can send WOL when it sees traffic for a certain address.

On the Mac I wonder if you could script the preference for sleep so that during certain hours of the day the sleep setting would be off and the rest of the time it would be allowed to sleep? Green-ish.

dwsteyn

WOL?

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:01 am

Guys, Any update on the WOL (Wake on Lan) request to start my PC/MAX from my Roku?

fshagan

Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:20 am

I don't think this has been added. I'm working on creating a music server out of a Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly that I won't mind leaving on all the time.