Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

S80_UK

Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:08 pm

beeka wrote:
Launch4j is such a launcher, which I have used to wrap the application. You still need the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), but does mean you won't have to know how to compile Java :-) to use the remote. You can see what I did to make the executable for Windows and download it from here.

Enjoy,

Steve.

Cool! 8) Thanks for that. Now all I have to do is hack up a new version for the larger screen of the M2000 that I ordered last night. I'll make the M2000 version available when done.

S80_UK

Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 am

blamm wrote:
Hi.

This sounds good. Unfortunately your link doesn't work...

Strange.... It worked OK for me.

buchanan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:49 am

Thanks, beeka, for the packaging and posting.

Support for the M2000 should not require much work since it was written (though not tested) to handle it. The most likely issue may be making sure the window resizes at the right time when it sees the larger display. On any account I'll be having a look at that very soon since I've ordered one too.

Those who bookmark the forum directly and don't regularly look at the Roku main page might want to check it out - they're giving away (well almost :) ) M2000s.

buchanan
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:12 pm

It seems to work OK on the M2000 with the following change...

In setData(), after the existing line:
    data_ = new byte[ Math.min( n, hex.length()/2 ) ];

Add the lines:
    if( getTopLevelAncestor() instanceof Window )
        SwingUtilities.invokeLater( new Runnable() { public void run()
            { ((Window)getTopLevelAncestor()).pack(); } } );

S80_UK

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:24 am

buchanan wrote:
It seems to work OK on the M2000 with the following change...

Thanks for that buchanan. Although I have to confess that I don't understand what this code change actually does. I haven't got my M2000 yet - hope it gets here soon. Maybe I will figure it out by then...

mraneri

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:21 am

Has anyone recompiled an exe (the way beeka did earlier) with the extra code to support the M2000? This worked GREAT with my M1000 before I upgraded to the M2000. I'd love to be able to use it as I did before. I don't have the Java SDK. (but have the runtimes.)

Let me know.

beeka

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:20 pm

mraneri wrote:
Has anyone recompiled an exe (the way beeka did earlier) with the extra code to support the M2000? This worked GREAT with my M1000 before I upgraded to the M2000. I'd love to be able to use it as I did before. I don't have the Java SDK. (but have the runtimes.)

Let me know.

I compiled it yesterday but haven't had chance to try it with the M2000.... once I do I will package it as an exe and upload it. I will post here once I have.

Steve.

beeka

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:51 am

mraneri wrote:
Has anyone recompiled an exe (the way beeka did earlier) with the extra code to support the M2000?

The page I posted on before http://beeka.110mb.com/index.html has now been updated with the patched executable. Seems to run fine on my M2000 and M1001.

I found the update rate a little sluggish when connected to a M2000 but, judging by the low cpu usage, that is due to more data being sent over the wireless network. I would be interested to hear if it is more responsive on a wired network.

Steve.

S80_UK

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:10 am

beeka wrote:
I found the update rate a little sluggish when connected to a M2000 but, judging by the low cpu usage, that is due to more data being sent over the wireless network. I would be interested to hear if it is more responsive on a wired network.

Steve.

8) 8) Cool! 8) 8)

Many thanks beeka. Slightly faster wired than wireless, but very usable either way. And great to have the same utility to look at M1000 and M2000 (even both at once).

mraneri

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 pm

beeka wrote:
The page I posted on before http://beeka.110mb.com/index.html has now been updated with the patched executable. Seems to run fine on my M2000 and M1001.

Thanks so much, Steve.

It does work great on my M2000. Yes, the update is a little slow. I'm pretty sure it's not an overall network throughput issue, as the actual network traffic isn't that great. But given that it is no where near full CPU usage on the PC, there must be some CPU usage/tread priority on the Roku which is causing the refreshes to be slower.

Either way, it's definitely excellent for remote controlling the Roku from the study. The visualizer is less impressive, though!

Thanks SO MUCH for this, buchanan and beeka, and anyone else that may have contributed.

- Mike

wideasleep1

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:05 pm

HEY...this is flower cool...thanks to buchanan and beeka for this! :D
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

MikeRofone

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:44 am

WOw, this piece of Java Code is just awesome. And the best thing of all: With this thing, you can easily add SLEEPTIMER and ALARM-Features to the Soundbridge M1001 (which don't seem to have any button or menu item which would enable you to use these features without a computer)

To enable these features, take the code which has been posted in the opening post, an search for this part (quite at the end):
/** SoundBridge command codes (prefixed w/ "CK_"). */
private static String[] command_ = {
        "POWER",     null,         "BRIGHTNESS",
        "MENU",     "SEARCH",      "EXIT",
         null,      "NORTH",        null,
        "WEST",     "SELECT",      "EAST",
         null,      "SOUTH",        null,
        "PREVIOUS", "PLAY",        "NEXT",
        "PAUSE",    "VOLUME_UP",   "SHUFFLE",
        "ADD",      "VOLUME_DOWN", "REPEAT" };

Here you can manipulate the commands which are send to the Soundbridge when you press a button. Ich you replace a command with "ALARM" or "SNOOZE", you can now activate the Alarm or Sleeptimer settings. In my example, the upper left buttons are replaced:
/** SoundBridge command codes (prefixed w/ "CK_"). */
private static String[] command_ = {
        "SNOOZE",     null,         "BRIGHTNESS",
        "ALARM",     "SEARCH",      "EXIT",
         null,      "NORTH",        null,
        "WEST",     "SELECT",      "EAST",
         null,      "SOUTH",        null,
        "PREVIOUS", "PLAY",        "NEXT",
        "PAUSE",    "VOLUME_UP",   "SHUFFLE",
        "ADD",      "VOLUME_DOWN", "REPEAT" };

@Roku: What was the reason for not implenting these (in my eyes very useful and needed!) features into the menu system or the remote? As posted in the Feature Request Forums
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=11057 this feature is sadly missed! I would try to stick the Soundbridge to a timer on the wallplug, but I don't think that the Soundbridge would like getting the plug pulled without being shut down before (and perhaps I would lose my settings? Haven't tried it yet...).
Any other possibillity to add this feature without using a PC? I don't have a programmable remote...

Thanks a lot for providing this code, it's godlike :-)

Aleric

Please?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:23 pm

I downloaded the JDK 5, and for the life of me, I cannot find a console or use DOS to execute the "Javac" command! I would LOVE to have the modified version of the code with switched buttons (for programing the alarm)!

Could you compile and wrap that modified code please?

Or could someone tell me how to get into the Java console? It just seems to have BIN and LIB directories, with non fuctional batch files and a few configuration executibles...

:oops:

beeka

Re: Please?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:35 pm

Aleric wrote:
I downloaded the JDK 5, and for the life of me, I cannot find a console or use DOS to execute the "Javac" command! I would LOVE to have the modified version of the code with switched buttons (for programing the alarm)!

Could you compile and wrap that modified code please?

Or could someone tell me how to get into the Java console? It just seems to have BIN and LIB directories, with non fuctional batch files and a few configuration executibles...

:oops:

I haven't got the time to build a modded version at the moment (panic deadlines at work).... however you can get a command prompt in MS Windows by selecting the "Run..." option on the Start menu and running "cmd". If you are doing this already but javac is not being found then you may need to add the bin directory to the PATH environment variable (I forget if the JDK setup adds this for you). This can be done from the "Advanced" tab on the System properties (right-click on My Computer, select Properties).

Hope this helps.

Steve.

PS: Not sure I would want the power button replaced though... I use that quite a bit :-)

buchanan
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:12 pm

Rather than remap existing buttons it's only a bit more work to add more:
1) Add another three strings to "command_" for the three new remote codes you want.
2) Add another three {w,h} entries to "size" in the static block for the icon sizes.
3) Add another three strings to the "hex" array to define the icon bitmaps.
4) Change the "24" array dimensions in "new Icon[24]" and "for( int i = 0; i < 24; i++ )" to 27.

An earlier post described how to define your own icon bitmaps (what steps 2 & 3 do), but until you get around to doing that you can put in white squares by using "{8,8}" for the dimensions and "ffffffffffffffff" for the hex strings.