Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

g0pkh

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:27 am

Alan.

I tried the windows executable of this at the weekend, and was blown away :D .

What an awesome piece of code, worked a treat with all my SB devices.

You are half way there to a complete software based SB.
Now if only you could configure an option to use the PC Soundcard, for those moments when you are out of earshot of a real SB.

Great work.

Thankyou

Pete
Soundbridge and Photobridge repairs offered.
contact via PM or hillyp02-roku@yahoo.co.uk

mraneri

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:25 am

g0pkh wrote:
You are half way there to a complete software based SB.

Not really. There's really NO emulation in this code. All this code is doing is sending remote keystrokes to the Soundbridge, and getting the display information to put on the screen. All the work is actually happening in the Soundbridge itself..

Not to take anything away from this project. This is a GREAT project... I use it all the time. It's just not emulation. This one is really ONLY about remote control.

- Mike

buchanan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:28 am

The code does emulate the SB remote and VFD, but doesn't replace any of the library navigation and data (music) handling of the SB proper, which are the core functions of Roku's fine product. I agree it's quite a bit less than half what you get when you buy a SoundBridge.

One of the reasons I like the SB is that it operates more as an audio component than a computer peripheral. I can use it without going near a computer screen. That said, when I am sitting at a computer, it's nice to be able to do the same things from there, hence this software. But to evolve it into a complete system would be to replicate work others have done, in many cases quite well.

The SB is IMHO a fantastic product. It's a clean, simple, and useful device. Published interfaces (RCP, telnet) and forum support make it a great hacker toy as well. Many thanks to Roku and everyone here.

:D

Roetel

Sun May 20, 2007 2:31 pm

beeka wrote:
...has now been updated with the patched executable. ...

Steve.

Thank you so much! Great work, nice tool, well done!

Best regards,
Roetel

cwacha

Wed May 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi all,

I have enhanced the program with keyboard controls and added two buttons for SNOOZE and ALARM. The remote can now be controlled via the keyboard as follows:

- Power = O
    - Brightness = B
    - Menu = M
    - Search = F (find)
    - Back = Escape
    - Directions as Up, Down, Left, Right
    - Select = Return/Enter
    - Previous = Z
    - Next = X
    - Play = Space
    - Pause = P
    - Volume up = Q
    - Volume down = A
    - Add = . (period)
    - Shuffle = S
    - Repeat = R

The snooze and alarm buttons don't yet have a keyboard key (suggestions?) and no icon. I don't know how to do that.

The modified source as well as a jar file can be found here: http://wacha.ch/soundbridge

Cheers
Clemens

atlantic.mac

Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:32 am

it works with SoundBridge Homemusic but only remote control (there is no informations on window)

buchanan
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:53 pm

This program depends on the RCP GetDisplayData feature. For the display part to function requires that GetDisplayData return something useful and that the program know how to convert it to an image. As far as I know, the M2000, M1000, and M1001 are the only models that supply good display data, and those are the only ones the code handles now.

The RCP documentation suggests an intent to eventually supply display data for the non-VFD models such as the M500, but I'm told the M500 doesn't return anything as of the 2.7 firmware. The situation may be the same for the HomeMusic, but I'm not sure about this since I don't have access to one. You can confirm by running GetDisplayData from a telnet session and seeing if you get character/hex data or (as I suspect) nothing. If that's the case this program can't easily be made to work with it.

If in a future release (hint, hint, Roku guys ;)) GetDisplayData is better supported on these machines I'll probably try and add the code to use it. For now one of the more sophisticated control programs you can find in this forum may be a better choice, since they use other means to get similar data and aren't subject to the same limitation.

rem

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:52 pm

i tried out the windows exe and accidently entered the wrong ip. how do i reset this?

EDIT: nevermind, i found the answer. right-click on the screen area.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

beeka

Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:46 pm

blamm wrote:
This looks good. Can somebody make an exe like before?

I have incorporated the changes Clemens made and made some icons for the alarm and snooze buttons. The jar file and exe are at http://beeka.110mb.com/. I almost like my attempt at a bell for the alarm... not so keen on the snooze / sleep one (fitting three Z's in a small space was too tricky). I can change it if anyone comes up with a better one.

Steve.

Scarlip

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:21 pm

beeka wrote:
blamm wrote:
This looks good. Can somebody make an exe like before?

I have incorporated the changes Clemens made and made some icons for the alarm and snooze buttons. The jar file and exe are at http://beeka.110mb.com/. I almost like my attempt at a bell for the alarm... not so keen on the snooze / sleep one (fitting three Z's in a small space was too tricky). I can change it if anyone comes up with a better one.

Steve.

Fabulous piece of work. Tried it out on my M2000 and it works like a charm...alarm and everything. Nice!
Scar
SoundBridge M2000 on Firefly
> 13.000 tunes and counting

wideasleep1

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm hooked pcm..is this why I can't hear alarms tones?
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Scarlip

Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:18 am

wideasleep1 wrote:
I'm hooked pcm..is this why I can't hear alarms tones?

I'm pcm too, and I should have been clearer...I've got no "buzzers", but if I set the alarm to a preset all works beautifully. Maybe buzzers are through analog only? Anyone have some insight.
Scar

SoundBridge M2000 on Firefly

> 13.000 tunes and counting

GAPi

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:07 pm

This is really a great program. Very BRILLIANT. :D

dmtoddma

Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:12 pm

I desparatly need the same kind of program to work with the Soundbridge Radio--can anyone help?

Thanks.

David Todd

buchanan
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:16 pm

The Java RC depends on the ability to connect (i.e. telnet 4444/5555) to the unit and on support for RCP, IrDispatchCommand and GetDisplayData in particular. If these are supported it should be possible to either adapt this program or create a similar one for the SB Radio.

I don't have one, so I can't do this by myself, but if there's a SB Radio owner willing to help out by doing some telnet experiments as well as building and testing java code, I might have a go at it. Any fellow java geeks out there with a SB Radio?