Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

frethop
Topic Author

Release of Billboard 0.9 alpha: Program Your SB's Display

Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:32 am

Have you seen various programmed uses of a SoundBridge's display and wanted to write one yourself? Have you ever used Yahoo! Widgets or Google Gadgets and wanted the same thing for the SoundBridge?

OK...maybe you haven't. But now you can!

Billboard is a Java-based engine for running small programs -- called agents -- that control the display of a SoundBridge. Because Billboard is written in Java, it runs on Windows-based systems as well as Macs, Linux-based machines, and many handheld platforms. It provides means for users to display information dynamically on a SoundBridge, giving a way for using the device’s display for interesting purposes.

You write agents in either Java or Javascript. The agents run on a desktop computer and control the SoundBridge over the network.

You can find Billboard at http://software.cs.hope.edu/billboard There is a Windows executable and a Windows installer. For Macs and Linux, you must run the JAR file "by hand". (Sorry, I'm working on that.)

This is an alpha release! There are sure to be bugs and crappy documentation. However, I would love you to try Billboard and give me feedback as I seek to improve it.

Thanks.

-- Mike

richard1212

CONTROLS of BB

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:41 am

HI MIKE -Real nice work. I am playing with this program and I have a few questions.

Do you need to keep your computer on at all times for the agents to keep working?

Is there a way to exit out or pause the agents - to change radio stations, or i-tune selections?

Are there more agents available?

Real nice work - I applaud your work

thanks - Richard

frethop
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:06 am

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you are taking a look at this.

Since Billboard controls the SoundBridge from another computer, that computer needs to remain up and Billboard need to stay running. It would be interesting if we were able to introduce our own apps to run on the Linux system on the SoundBridge, but I can't see any way that's going to happen! :wink:

The part where Billboard cooperates with other control programs or a busy device needs work. Currently, there is no way to pause agents. My thought was that, since agents are simple, it would be easy to stop and restart them. You can stop agents with the "Stop" button on the bottom on the Billboard display.

I am working on more agents: a caller-id agent, a CNN headlines agent, a stock market agent. The fact that Billboard takes Javascript is convenient because other systems -- like Yahoo! widgets -- are also written (partially) in Javascript and you can get ideas and code from there. I'm hoping others find this useful and write some agents. I'll happily showcase them and make them part of the distro.

Thanks for the feedback. I am working on the beta release now and will take any comments.

-- Mike

richard1212

More

Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Cool Mike - I'll keep playing with it and tell you whats happening.

Richard

RokuMike

Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:33 am

Can't wait to try it!

One small thing: SoundBridge doesn't run Linux. It's a proprietary embedded OS...

frethop
Topic Author

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:31 am

One small thing: SoundBridge doesn't run Linux. It's a proprietary embedded OS...

Oops. Sorry! My mistake.

Would there ever a time you might divulge even broad details about it? I'm a college prof and I teach an Operating Systems class in the fall... I love to use unique, targeted operating systems as examples... Just wondering.

-- Mike

sansp00

Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:50 am

Anything that could be considered 'funky' that would prevent it from running on a JamVM or similar JVM implementation for my NAS ?

Any hope of having a C/C++ implementation (lighter on embedded devices) ?

Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (revived!), R1000 x2, M1001 x2
Linksys NSLU2 with Firefly
Netgear WGR614,JGS516,GS608,GS605 x3

RokuMike

Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:06 am

frethop
Topic Author

Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:29 am

Cool! Thanks.

-- Mike

Zanoryt

Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Great application! I haven't been aable to get it to run well on my laptop, but I hope we see lots more agents and cleaner releases! Thanks!