Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Komis

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Does anyone know how to edit rokuweather for the M400 model? There is only 2 narrow lines in that model and when I start the program, it doesn't use the other line. And because program uses only that one row, some of the text goes out of the screen. What kind of changes I need to do, that the text to the second line also?

fizze

Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks, this is now looking awesome on my M1001 as well :)

edit:
On a sidenote: I turn off my soundbridge over night, but I do not turn off my NSLU2 where perl is happily hogging the CPU at around 90%, thus leaving the poor slug almost unresponsive.

Isn't there a way to detect wether the soundbridge is even available (TCP SYN/ACK scan or whatever) before engaging in what seems to be a spinlock?
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

Goemon

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:45 pm

What are you doing with your NSLU ? :shock: After I red your post I installed "htop" and had a look to the CPU load - nothing! - my uNSLUng slug runs idle, on switchinh and drawing it peaks maximum to 20% CPU load (about 6.5% of that is the htop itself) Memory usage is at 9.1%. So I guess there is some other process running.

By The way a mt-daapd scan during serving MP3 to slug has around 30% average load.

can you verify that perl is the monster in your slug?

Goemon
Soundbridge M1001 / uNSLUng / mt-daapd / [url=http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku] Tools4Roku
[/url]

fizze

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:47 am

My NSLU2 is serving a lot of things, but all of which are normally swapped out and idling happily ;)

I know that perl is the culprit because top tells me so. As long as the SoundBridge is turned on, it's alright, but when I _completely_ turn the unit off, perl's CPU consumption spikes.
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

welcher

Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 pm

I've tried the original version of t4roku, as well as the M1001-specific one (which at least displays correctly on my M1001), and get the same result. That is, after a couple minutes, the current weather comes up just fine (though the icon takes FOREVER to draw), but I can't use the arrow buttons to look at tomorrow's weather, and I can't use the power button to turn the SB on. Basically, it's locked up hard until I quit the pearl script on the server.

BTW - that server is a linux box running Fedora Core 4.

Thanks for any advice.

Goemon

slow...

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:23 am

This sounds not so good... unfortunately I have no idea. Does somebody now how to invetsigate such a problem?

Goemon
Soundbridge M1001 / uNSLUng / mt-daapd / [url=http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku] Tools4Roku

[/url]

Goemon

Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 pm

I had another look to welcher's problem - but no success in reproducing it here. sorry.

Anyway a new version of t4roku is out (ZIP on my homepage). It now has a menu (acessed by 3xHOME) for Weather / Sleep / Alarm / Server-shutdown. Also it uses the temperature sensor data in front of my window instead the yahoo data. If you do not have a sensor at home or a diffenet setup, please comment out the lines 286-288 and edit line 404 to use yahoo data.

Further a bug fix for the remote control exception handling (now uses "irman echo" insted of "irman intercept", result: smoother scrolling and volume control, just like without t4roku). Please confirm :D or deny :( if you experienced slow responce/freezing roku with old versions.

During my testing I noticed that on sometimes the rss feed is missing the two lines
<yweather:wind chill="4" direction="270" speed="8" />
<yweather:atmosphere humidity="93" visibility="999" pressure="0" rising="2" />

Which resulted in a tornado symbol and wrong display. So far I have no solution to this bug. Overwriting the $1 variable in Perl is not permitted.

My next plan is to separate the configuration data in a local file, like it was in the inital code from mpoly. Would you also like to combine small and large display SB's into one software (switchable in the local file) ?

good night - Goemon

[/url]

racingMarco

Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:20 am

My next plan is to separate the configuration data in a local file, like it was in the inital code from mpoly. Would you also like to combine small and large display SB's into one software (switchable in the local file) ?

This would be nice :D

The remote control exception handling (now uses "irman echo" insted of "irman intercept", result: smoother scrolling and volume control, just like without t4roku), works awesome, no problems with scrolling stations and volume anymore

Thanks

mic_hall

Script takes over all processor time if roku switched off...

Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:17 pm

Firstly, let me congratulate to the inventors of the first truly working solution for pushing weather info to roku. (I have for a long time bothered why rokulabs did not put it as a default function...)

Anyway, it all works great on my WL-500g running Oleg's firmware and is pushing info to the SB M1000 (16 lines version) no problems whatsoever.

I have changed a bit the drawing procedure so that it draws all texts first and then the icons - it looks more 'responsive' now.

However, I have run into the same problem as already reported here, namely whenever I switch off (as I usually do over night to co conserve energy) the roku and then switch it on again, the perl script takes over all available time of the processor... and no info is displayed on the roku screen.

I should add that when the roku is switched off, the script behaves normally (0%)

Any volunteers?

sonichouse

M2000 support

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:28 am

Hi Goemon,

I have made some changes to your original script.
Mine now pages through the different modes every 5 minutes. I removed mode 3 as the M2000 always displays the time.

When the soundbridge is on I fetch the track Title and Album using Roku::RCP.

The drawing code does not use Clear as this causes a flickering display, I just clear the M1000 screen width.

Please feel free to use as many changes as you wish.

The post in my blog is here

P.S. The M2000 is 512x32 pixels.
Last edited by sonichouse on Fri May 09, 2008 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

gouldinio

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:08 pm

This is really good. I have an M1001 with the smaller resolution, is it possible to get the text to scroll up or across the screen? That way I could keep the large font and be able to see it across the room stilll

Goemon

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:05 am

Hello gouldinio,
You may change the drawing procedure to your wish and use the big font. Have a look at sonichouse' blog (the post above yours). There you will find some lines of code that changes the displayed information for a set time.

Hello mic_hall, hello fizze,
I can confirm the problem - never noticed up to now as I do not turn off the Roku over night (I turn of my Network instead). A small change in the sript will solve this problem - I will test ist and post the result soon.

Hello everyone,
During the last days my Roku turned in a useless unresponsive piece of hardware - sometime during use of the remote control, sometimes without interaction. Disconnect/Reconnect to power reset the Roku and otherwise it works fine. I can not reproduce the behavior at will. Does anyone noticed similar problem?

Also twice during internet radio play my Roku had a hard reset (scrolling ROKU logo... welcome message...) without any interaction from me. Any Idea what happens?

CU - Goemon

[/url]

sonichouse

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:40 am

I have updated the M2000 script to display the menu as well.
The menu text is now clearly visible from my couch :wink:

The blog entry is here http://steveforster.is-a-geek.com:8008/serendipity/index.php?/archives/14-Yahoo-weather-for-the-Soundbridge-M2000.html
Last edited by sonichouse on Thu May 15, 2008 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

sonichouse

Running Yahoo Weather on multiple displays

Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:50 am

I push the weather to two rokus on my network.

I had to change the kill script in /opt/etc/init.d because I pass the IP to the weather script.

The revised scripts are

/opt/etc/init.d/S90t4roku
cd /root/t4roku
perl t4roku-m2000.pl 192.168.100.141 &
sleep 15
perl t4roku-m2000.pl 192.168.100.142 &

/opt/etc/init.d/K90t4roku
kill -9 `ps|grep 'perl t4roku-m2000.pl'|grep -v grep|grep '141'|cut -c1-5`
kill -9 `ps|grep 'perl t4roku-m2000.pl'|grep -v grep|grep '142'|cut -c1-5`
cd /root/t4roku
perl cleanroku.pl

Goemon

Update Tools4Roku

Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello,

I spent some time on the PC today. The result is an update of Tools4Roku. Following changes were done:

:D made variables for all used strings (for easier localisation).

:D move icon drawing sub call to end of output, optical Roku looks more responsive. Thanks to mic_hall for this idea.

:D localisation file based on Michael Polymenakos perl scripts (this version comes with: EN and DE)

:D bug fixed the sleep mode, repeated pressing of Select increases time

:D I like the idea from Steve Forster to alternate view and put it in as well. On/off via config file.

:D merged small and tall display versions (switch in config file). Thanks Marco Forschner for the work to fit the small display.

:?: Have not worked on the 100%CPU load problem when Rokus power is pluged of - does anyone has already an idea?

Looking forward to your responce.

@sonichouse: can you provide me the file for the large screen? I would like to put this as well into my version.

good night - Goemon