Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

radio1

Re: M500

Mon May 05, 2008 5:05 am

quietone wrote:
Hi radio1

It should be easy to adapt the code for the M500.
The M500 has a 40x2 display - much bigger than the M400's 16x2, so you can get much more text or info on the screen.
To start with it's just a case of changing the size of the strings to make the most of the space. Then you can adapt it so that info that's split over 2 screens on the M400 fits on 1 on the M500.

I hadn't written any Perl before I started messing with this, but I have done C programming before and it's not that different. If you've done any programming before then it's mostly a matter of learning the syntax.
There's a good reference here:
http://perldoc.perl.org/

Have fun,

QuietOne

Hi QO,
I finally downloaded PERL and printed out the m400 script.

But I have a few questions:

1) M400 display = 16x2, M500 display = 40x2. Now instead of putting the M400 two lines (screens? are they the same?) onto 1 M500 line (screen again?); can I just add more information to the second line for the M500?

2) Would the above changes be possible since the M500 always displays at least the time, if not the date, also?

3) Is there away to integrate or concurrently run this script while my firefly server is up? Some kind of .bat file perhaps?

I will be learning as I go, but I hope to get this working for the M500; if successful I will post it.

Thanks!
Suggestions appreciated...!

mic_hall

Re: 100% proc. load?

Tue May 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Instead of
ps | grep perl | grep $TOOLSFILE | sed s/\ \a.*// > $PIDDIR/$PIDFILE

could you do ?
echo "$!" > $PIDDIR/$PIDFILE

I don't know what your code does, but mine gives the PID number of the other script.

sonichouse

Re: 100% proc. load?

Tue May 06, 2008 2:37 pm

mic_hall wrote:
Instead of
ps | grep perl | grep $TOOLSFILE | sed s/\ \a.*// > $PIDDIR/$PIDFILE

could you do ?
echo "$!" > $PIDDIR/$PIDFILE

I don't know what your code does, but mine gives the PID number of the other script.

Hi Mic,

It should have been echo $! without the quotes :?

> sleep 30 &
[1] 28467

> echo $!

the $! returns the process id if the last process ran in the background.
SB M1000, M2000 x 2
NSLU2 Unslung 6.8, Firefly 1696, FirePlay 0.85, FF-Stats 1.28

quietone

Re: M500

Sat May 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Hi radio1

radio1 wrote:
Hi QO,
I finally downloaded PERL and printed out the m400 script.

But I have a few questions:

1) M400 display = 16x2, M500 display = 40x2. Now instead of putting the M400 two lines (screens? are they the same?) onto 1 M500 line (screen again?); can I just add more information to the second line for the M500?

This was just a quick generic idea to take advantage of the M500's screen space. Perhaps if I explain differently...
Considering the weather setting: the M400 uses 5 separate screens of info.
The first screen displays Yahoo! Weather on the top line and the location on the bottom.
The second screen displays current weather conditions with different data on top and bottom lines.
The third displays more current weather data on top and bottom lines.
The fourth and fifth screens show forecast weather for the next 2 days.

You could rearrange all this info to make use of the available space on the M500. Perhaps all the current weather could fit on one screen and forecast on the next.

(just thinking that maybe if i used the word page instead of screen it might be clearer... ?)

radio1 wrote:
2) Would the above changes be possible since the M500 always displays at least the time, if not the date, also?

As I don't have an M500 I don't know what happens when you take control of the display. If only some of the 40x2 is usable then just adapt the script to use what you can,

radio1 wrote:
3) Is there away to integrate or concurrently run this script while my firefly server is up? Some kind of .bat file perhaps?

Probably. What are you running your firefly server on?

radio1 wrote:
I will be learning as I go, but I hope to get this working for the M500; if successful I will post it.

Thanks!
Suggestions appreciated...!

I hope that helps a bit.

QuietOne

cloudwarrior

having problems connecting to sb radio

Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:14 am

Hello
i realize this maynot be the best place to ask this newbie question, but you guys seem to have a lot of knowledge.

I am having problems connecting to the soundbridge radio
I changed the config file to the correct ip address - checked this as i teleneted it and asked for its display - works fine.

but when i run "perl t4roku.pl" - i get a
"Could not connect to Roku Soundbridge at t4roku.pl line 52." error

i am running on windows machine through a wireless router.
i suspect this may be the problem.

i opened up all ports (temporarily!) on the firewall page with still no joy

any help or pointers would be appreciated
cheers

quietone

RE: having problems connecting to sb radio

Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 am

Hi cloudwarrior

can you tell us what version of t4roku you are using and where you downloaded it - I think there are a number of adaptations of the code out there.

If you can telnet your roku then the prob must be in the source somewhere. You said you put the correct IP in the config file - which config file?

If you can be really specific then we might be able to find the problem.
Cheers,

QuietOne

cloudwarrior

Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:45 am

Hi
Cheers for the reply.

I believe I downloaded the latest version (http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4 ... 080301.zip)
and I entered the IP addy on the t4local.en file.

I have deleted the t4local.de file in case it was reading that.

left all other settings "as is" just to get a connection.

have looked at t4roku.pl in Notepad ++ and cannot see anything obviously wrong - i know very little perl, but a litlle php and java so can kinda see what should be happening.

to make things more confusing i can get this to work -

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=14899

this is also a yahoo weather feed, but less graphic.

all help appreciated
just to reiterate i have a SB radio with the latest beta firmware 3.0.51
thanks again

cloudwarrior

do i feel STOOPID

Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:14 am

Hello
i didn't even see the t4local file!!!! too focused on the t4local.en??????

Always look for the most obvious first.
RTFM......

changed the file and further forward...
but perl has crashed on me and won't start :-(
hopefully can sort that out and it'll work

Goemon

Version Update (now song rating possible via remote!)

Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Hello folks,

I've added some more lines of code to the Tools4Roku and put the update online at http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku/.

The new version makes song rating possible with the remote from your couch! Just press the "right" or "left" key to rate the currently playing song as loved or not loved respectively. Multiple rating is possible and brings the value closer to 5 stars (or 100% love!). The rating information is directly written to the firefly database via SQLite, which is needed to run it. :!: Caution, this may not be safe or very smart. I am not responsible for any loss of your data. Backup first. :!:

I am sorry that I still had no time to include support for different screens, especially the smal LCDs. But I think you will spot the changes very easy and may copy it to your versions.

Happy Song Rating!! I have fun with my smart playlist "rating>80" now! :lol:

CU
Goemon
Soundbridge M1001 / uNSLUng / mt-daapd / [url=http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku] Tools4Roku
[/url]

Goemon

Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:12 pm

Hello everyone,

I had another look at the 100% load problem after the Rokus power supply is turned of. Indeed the CPU usage does not jump to 100% immeadetly, but after some time (10mim or so). So far I did not find the origin of this behaviour.
I think there is something simple missing - but can not find where. I expect something like "$display->close()" to be added.

Any help is welcome!!

CU
Goemon
Soundbridge M1001 / uNSLUng / mt-daapd / [url=http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku] Tools4Roku

[/url]

fizze

Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 pm

10 Minutes don't quite cut it. I just did a few tests and watched network traffic as well as the stats on the slug.
The only thing I noticed is a constant increase in the IP send Q to the SoundBridge.

After about 25 minutes the CPU usage of perl went > 100%.
I checked the netstat, and sure enough the socket to the SoundBridge was closed. I guess the kernel forcibly closed it, leaving the perl process stuck in a loop.

While the socket was open, the CPU usage of perl was <1%.
This means that the connection timeout doesn't work properly, AFAIK.

edit:
I fear that the connection error is unhandled at some point, causing an infinite loop.
I now know definately that the TCP connection hits the timeout (1800 sec), and then perl goes apeshit.
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

joetsaia

Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Sorry... I don't know how to programming perl at all and try to run this on my both Windows and Linux... Both facing same problem

syntax error at t4roku.pl line 244, near "my "
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 244.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 342.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 344.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 345.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 346.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 347.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 348.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 358.
Global symbol "$rc" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 364.
Global symbol "$myexit" requires explicit package name at t4roku.pl line 375.
syntax error at t4roku.pl line 375, near ");"
t4roku.pl has too many errors.

Is there anyone who can help me what I missing??? Really Appreciate.
ps: I am running the newest T4ROKU download from http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku/

joetsaia

Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:55 am

Never mind this... I'd solve this problem by myself with modify the 080631, the file in M2000 folder seem like doesn't work... anyway... Now I am facing another problem... All the key is not response... :( Every key I press with no response except up down left right [But only change display], now running t4roku... I even can not power on ROKU!!! Any idea??? How to resolve that??? Thanks.

joetsaia wrote:
Sorry... I don't know how to programming perl at all and try to run this on my both Windows and Linux... Both facing same problem
Is there anyone who can help me what I missing??? Really Appreciate.
ps: I am running the newest T4ROKU download from http://billiatjapan.netfirms.com/Tools4Roku/

Goemon

Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:00 am

If the Roku is in "standby" and t4roku is running, the display shows the weather. You have to press "Power" twice on the remote to switch the soundbridge on.
Is that the problem you had?

CU
Goemon

PS: I am working on a "play similar artist as current artist" feature - so stay tuned for more functionality.

[/url]

liebra

Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:59 am

Very nice work! I installed it on a Synology DS-107+ NAS and all works well!
Is it possible to show the current day and date after the time?
So it displays not only the time e.g. 18:03 but the same display as the unit is in standby: e.g. 18:03 Sunday August 10 2008