Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Eric Boring
Topic Author

Roku Shell Extension - DEP error ?

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:47 pm

HI,

I've been trying to install the Roku Shell Extension, but I keep getting weird errors after it installs.

It just kind of crashed itself when I click on the media player icon in control panel. And sometimes I get the ominous-souding DEP error.

I've got UPnP Installed, the xml parser, and the shell extenstion itself What am I missing? I've had this problem with two XP laptops.

Thanks for any advice you all have.

E

mcfh

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:24 am

Hi,
I assume you mean my application. Can you PM me the precise sequence of events you are doing to get it to crash. I also don't understand what you mean by a DEP error.

Thanks
Mark
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

Eric Boring
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:13 pm

Hi, Yes, i think it is your app. I'll pm you the details. Thanks for he quick response!
E

beeka

Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:58 pm

mcfh wrote:
I also don't understand what you mean by a DEP error.

Im guessing DEP = Data Execution Prevention

This is intended to stop applications running code which the OS thinks is data, as might happen with a virus. XP defaults to enabling DEP only for "essential Windows programs and services only". I don't know if windows considers shell extensions essential...

The problem can be an indicator of a bad function pointer. When debugging the issue, it is worth asking Eric if he enabled DEP and also what CPUs it happens on (IIRC, DEP is only fully supported on certain hardware).

Steve.

PS: Forgive me for chiming in here - I recently experienced a DEP problem (in front of a customer!) and the concept was new to me... only showing itself on Windows 2003 Server (which defaults to DEP for all applications) running on a Xeon CPU. That turned out to be a "feature" of Ada tasking implementation and adding an exception was the only fix.

Eric Boring
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:59 pm

Thanks beeka. That sounds just like what I'm seeing. Right now DEP is set to the default settings. I was a little hesitant to change them without having a better sense of what I'm doing. Did you come across any useful background information?

Thanks!

-E