Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

andyvanr
Topic Author

Use of Lastfm/sbPopper. SoundBridge in "Network Places

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:39 pm

Hello,
I've just purchased a Roku SoundBridge 1001 and am enjoying it so far.
However, I am having an issue and am wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

1) When you go to My Network Places and show the uPnP devices, I can see all of my UPnP devices, including 'Soundbridge'. However, if I select right-click 'Properties' or 'Invoke', I get the following message,
"Device Offline - The device you are trying to use is not currently available on your network. Check to see if the device is on the network and try again."

But, I know the Roku Soundbridge device is on the network. I can ping it. I can go to a webpage and type 192.168...etc. I can change the Presets etc.

2) The reason that I'm asking is that I want to have Last.fm scrobble the songs that I'm listening to on the Roku. I read that many people have been successful with the sbPopper.exe application. When I run the sbPopper application, it just sits with a constant message that states, "Looking for Soundbridge devices...". It can never find my device.

That is why I started poking around my computer to look for a cause and noticed the issue with Soundbridge not being quite right in "My Network Places". Perhaps this confirms that sbPopper can't see the Roku Soundbridge. I'm not sure.

Has anyone else had any similar problems like this where you can't "see" your Roku Soundbridge on your computer.

amdb7

Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 am

Just a thought...
You may want to see if your router has UPnP services enabled.
I have an M1001 on my network and I noticed that sometimes it is visible in My Network Places and other times it is not.
I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router which has a setting of whether to enable UPnP services or not. The default on this router (at least with 1.46.02 firmware) was to disable UPnP services, presumably due to all the security issues it can present.
When I enabled UPnP on the router to try it out, the Soundbridge was visible.
I don't seem to have a need for UPnP in my setup (M1001, Firefly on WinXP, other laptops, all ethernet wired) so I am leaving it disabled on the router. I can still control the unit remotely via the excellent SoundBridge Commander.