Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mchase1314
Topic Author

Web interface for remote control?

Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:34 pm

I have been digging around looking for another reason to buy a SoundBridge. I have seen some discussion on this forum regarding the iTouch, but I want to take it a step further.

I own an iPhone. Of course its always in my pocket and always has access to the internet. My question is this: Can I use my iPhone to operate a SoundBridge? I understand the Apple 3rd party app situation. However, Safari would work. Does anyone have a web accessible interface that would allow your SB to be run by an iPhone or any other internet device?

That way my iPhone would essentially operate as my remote control, via the internet. Personally I think that would be pretty swell and I'd be ordering one immediately if so.

Thanks
Mike

williMeier

Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:04 pm

just surf to the (local, e.g. 192.168.0.235) address of your roku radio and there you go...
if you want to control your radio while you are on the highway you just have to open your firewall @ home :lol:

b.t.w.
i have 3 ifones: can i remotely operate 2 of them while i'm talking to m$? 8) :wink:
regards frank

if it has ram or flower it will give you problems

mchase1314
Topic Author

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:55 am

lol

thanks. I figured the answer was obvious.

blubalu

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:19 am

Well, this "remote web interface" is a joke, isn´t it?
I don´t understand why Roku doesn´t supply a more sophisticated one with this great Soundbridge product.
But who knows what the next software update brings :D

holsen01

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:25 am

I agree, the web interface is not worth much in terms of normal usability (search etc.). It should be possible to find a more generic UPNP controller, but I haven't been able to find a good working one for my iPhone yet.

Perhaps I will try and built one, although browser based, since I'm still having difficulties making native iPhone apps with the still unofficial iPhone SDK.

rem

Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:36 pm

there has been some partial success using php to create a web remote. i tried it on the ipod touch and found that the build of php for the ipod touch is somewhat lacking in options. so what happens is that you don't get the roku display screen at all. see the following thread:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13996
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

abramsh

PlugPlayer

Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:00 pm

You also might want to try PlugPlayer.

tsparc

Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:45 am

I recently downloaded plug player from the iTunes app store and installed it on my iTouch.
The main problem for me with Roku was the lack of a decent remote that does not cost a fortune. This fact was leading me to look at Sonos and Slim Devices something I really didn't like because the Sounbrdige is a great machine.

At first it didn't work. I could see my media server but not the soundbridge. The app even picked up my Sony Bravia TV which has a UPNP renderer built in. After some fiddling I finally tried setting the IP address as STATIC instead of DHCP and presto.

The app is easy to use and for the price a very good piece of software. I'm sure future releases will improve the product. The sound control is a little sluggish. Not sure if that is the iTouch or the Roku.

My Soundbridge is served by Twonky running on a Qnap 109 II Pro NAS ,wired connection.