Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FosTech
Topic Author

Web based remote via BB

Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:53 pm

I would like to contol my Soundbridge M1001 via my Blackberry's web browser.
Before purchasing my Soundbridge, I had Slimserver running on my home server and was able to log in remotly (http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:openport) to access a web page that allowed me to control slimserver. I could start/stop change music playing through my home PC connected to my home stereo via my blackberry.
I am now running Windows Home Server with WMP 11 and no longer use Slimserver.
Is there a method to login to "http://192.168.1.100/SoundBridge.html" from outside my LAN to allow me to access the familiar web page Soundbridge control?
I am very familiar with port forwarding and remote access methods.
Your thoughts/input would be greatly apprecited.
Thanks!
Brett

Shasta McNasty

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:46 pm

If you're familiar with port forwarding, then you can just forward a port (of your choice) on your router to port 80 on your Soundbridge's LAN IP address.

If your WAN IP address is dynamic (which it more than likely is) then you also need to use a DDNS (dynamic DNS) service to map that dynamic IP address to a static domain name. Check out dyndns.com or no-ip.com. dyndns.com support is built into some routers (like Belkin).

Then when you go to http://<your domain name>:<your selected port> it will be redirected to your Soundbridge's familiar web page.

FosTech
Topic Author

Re: Soundbridge M1001 via BB

Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Shasta,

Thanks for your response to my message.
I have tried forwarding port 80, but with Windows Home Server - it brings up the Home Server web page.
I would like to know how to specify a unique port (forwared in my Linksys Router of course) so I can access the Soundbridge page remotly.

Best regards,

Brett

sonichouse

Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:26 am

FosTech wrote:
Shasta,

Thanks for your response to my message.
I have tried forwarding port 80, but with Windows Home Server - it brings up the Home Server web page.
I would like to know how to specify a unique port (forwared in my Linksys Router of course) so I can access the Soundbridge page remotly.

Best regards,

Brett
You will need to look at your router config and maybe even the manual.

Check if it supports port forwarding or some routers call this Virtual Lan.
You can then say that port 8888 for example on your router goes to 192.168.x.x port 80.

That way anyone going to your external ip on port 8888 would see your SB.
SB M1000, M2000 x 2
NSLU2 Unslung 6.8, Firefly 1696, FirePlay 0.85, FF-Stats 1.28

Shasta McNasty

Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Like sonichouse said, how to enable and configure port forwarding is router model-specific. My Belkin router calls it "Virtual Servers". You specify a port # visible on your router to the Internet, and say which IP address and port on your LAN should be mapped to it. The ports don't need to be the same (i.e. you can forward port 1234 on your router to port 80 on your Soundbridge. Make sure you're forwarding to your Soundbridge and not your Windows Home Server PC (it kind of sounds like you're forwarding to the PC and not the Soundbridge to me).

If you can't find your router manual, go to the manufacturer's page and see if you can download a PDF. Or try Google.

FosTech
Topic Author

Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Gents,

Thanks for your informative posts!
I have tried port forwarding the IP of my Soundbridge to different ports with no success. My router is a Linksys WRT54GL and I have successfully forwarded ports in the past for games and other apps (FTP etc).
I am attempting to connect from outside my lan by connecting to http://my.external.IP.address:ForwardedOpenPort
I should note that the default page for the Soundbridge "web page" is "SoundBridge.html".
There may be an issue here as the default page should be "index.htm" or "index.html" for web browsers to interpret.
I should note that I also tried http://my.external.IP.address:Forwarded ... ridge.html - with no success either.
Please note that the above addresses (when used) contained the appropriate numbers and not the letters I used in the example.
After trying many different things, I don't think that it is possible to connect to the SoundBridge page from outside the LAN.
If you do come up with any other suggestions, please add them to this thread.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Brett

rem

Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:22 am

when assigning the port to reach the soundbridge from outside the lan, you can also specify the port that the soundbridge is actually on. i have a dlink gaming router, and on this router, when i forward a port, i specify two port numbers (8011/80). the 8011 is the one i use from outside my lan, 80 is the actual port of the soundbridge. if you don't specify the second one, i believe it defaults to the first one as well (8011/8011), which won't work since you can't change the port on the soundbridge itself.

try this to see if you could reach the soundbridge.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)