Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

howiestansfield
Topic Author

NAS Playlists

Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:10 am

I bought a Pinnacle Soundbridge at Christmas and stored all my music on a Buffalo Linkstation live HS-DHGL9C5 500Gig NAS so that I don't need to have my PC on to listen to music. Setting up was easy except for creating playlists. I have now solved this problem and would like to share the solution. :D

1. Buffalo Linkstation NAS works with the Pinnacle Soundbridge once the PC Cast has sharing enabled. All songs are located and can be browsed by album, genre, and folder. This works without the need to have my PC switched on.
2. Soundbridge will only play Playlists created in WMP 11 if the songs are stored on the PC (although WMP 11 will play them off the NAS)
3. To create working Playlists on the Bufffalo NAS they must be stored as m3u files with the following format:

a) The Playlist must be saved in the My Music folder assuming the NAS has the following directory structure:

Share/My Music/Artist/Album/Song.mp3

b) The m3u file format is as follows:

#EXTM3U
/Artist/Album/Song1.mp3
/Artist/Album/Song2.mp3
/Artist/Album/Song3.mp3
Etc.

Note: the first line must be #EXTM3Uas above.
Start a new line for each song using a forward slash / instead of a backslash \ as required by the NAS Linux operating system.
Use the relative path from the directory the Playlist is stored

4. To create Playlists, use WMP11 and then use Notepad to edit the file as described above using find/replace, then save as a .m3u file using ANSI format.

I hope this helps somebody

stabilo

Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks for the info, but I still can't get it working.

I have all my music in a share called 'musiclibrary' wth the following path to each

\artist\album\song1.mp3
\artist\album\song2.mp3
etc

I created a m3u playlist that has

/artist/album/song1.mp3

but the SB still says none found, where do I store the playlists, in the root of the share? or somewhere else?

Any help appreciated