Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RichBayliss
Topic Author

RokuPlayer for Android

Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi

I have written an app for Android which allows basic control of the Roku SoundBridge via RCP, known as "RokuPlayer".

It is fully open source, and is hosted on Google Code at:

http://code.google.com/p/rokuplayer

You can grab the SVN trunk and build directly from Eclipse with the ADT tools installed. I currently have the latest version running on my phone :)

I would like as many people as possible to get involved, and any help is always welcome. I am not going to put this on the Android Market until I hit a v1.0 release, which will be when the software is actually pretty usable. It will always be free though!

Check it out and let me know what you think. :P

strawp

Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Ace! I just got a g1 and I was hoping I wouldn't have to make this myself.

Will build and give it a go over the next few days.

ChicagoPete

Great!

Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:20 am

I'm very happy to see this! I'm a software developer, but I've always worked in the corporate world and have never ventured into open source. I got myself all set up tonight and was able to check out your source code and get it built, signed, and running on my phone. It's been a fun night :)

Because I've never used SVN before, I wanted to introduce myself and get registered so you could contact me in case I screwed anything up. I'll be logging on here and checking my PMs and the thread in case I did.

tonebags

Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:51 am

how does a none developer get this to work on a G-phone?
thanks
tony

Webreaper

Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:26 am

Any chance you could build a release and post it on the Android Market? I'd be interested in this, but haven't got the time to set up the SDK.

Webreaper

Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:41 am

No, it's not possible to install Android on an LG Voyager, any more than you can install an iPhone OS onto a Voyager. The reason you can't do this is because the hardware is not supported, and LG won't have written the device drivers and other low-level code for Android.

I can't go into any more detail than that, as it won't make sense if you're not a software developer. Suffice to say that if you've asked the question in the first place, then you're probably not going to understand why it's not possible. ;)

If you want an Android phone, buy an Android phone.

ChicagoPete

Re: RokuPlayer for Android

Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm

I'm about 75% of the way to a beta. I just ran into an issue that I'd like some opinions on...if anyone still checks out this forum.

There are some subtle differences in the responses from a SoundBridge using firmware 3.0.44 and the public beta 3.0.52. My inclination is to code for 3.0.52 since that included fixes for a more current version of iTunes and I'm assuming that a lot of (or most) people upgraded. Have any of you Android people not upgraded your SoundBridge to the latest firmware? The only reason I found this issue is because I bought a new M1001 from Roku, and it came with 3.0.44.

FrankB

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:49 am

My understanding is that the beta was only required for certain versions of iTunes (6 or 7?) and is no longer required with the latest iTunes. I use 3.0.44 and the latest and greatest iTunes. I think some BBC changes are involved as well so that might be a reason.

I doubt most people have installed 3.0.52 since you have to enter your mac address on a web form. Not exactly easy to do for most people.

Care to share the details of the differences? I wrote and maintain Tabletbridge for the Maemo devices from Nokia.

thanks,
Frank

ChicagoPete

Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:13 am

So far I've run into two things with the 44 firmware. First, the ListAlbums command does not always return the list of albums on the first try, I have to issue the command twice to be sure. Second, ListNowPlayingQueue has 1 line at the top and bottom of the list to strip off, with the 52 firmware, there's two lines.

I have to admit I did my early development with the 52 firmware about a year ago and have just recently picked up the project again and am now using the 44 firmware. It is possible that my earlier testing had not been as comprehensive, but these things (I think) would have shown up.

dupondt

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:14 am

ChicagoPete,

like FrankB I'm quite sure that there were no changes made to RCP since 3.0.44. I checked the output of ListNowPlayingQueue with both 3.0.44 and 3.0.52 and found no differences. Could you please post a code snippet so that we can see what your doing?

ListAlbums is a transacted command, it can thus be tricky to get the results (see pages 11-13 in the RCP specification).

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

ChicagoPete

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:16 am

That's good to know, and thanks for that reference to the Protocol Summary in the RCP document. I've been focused on the individual commands/outputs, and haven't given the general information enough attention.

Like I said, my earlier testing may not have been as careful as it is these days. I do have two SoundBridges, one with each of the firmwares, so I'll make sure the app works with both of them before the beta comes out.