Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
frethop
Topic Author
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:18 am

SBC 3.0 Released: a Java-based SoundBridge Controller

Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:55 am

SBC version 3.0 has been released. SBC -- for SoundBridgeController -- is written in Java and has been run on Linux, Solaris, MacOS X, and Microsoft Windows.

A long time ago, I released SBC version 1.0. The current version is quite a bit different. It includes agents (mini-applications focusing on parts of SoundBridge function), movable and resizable windows, and layouts that can be saved. This version is a significant improvement over version 3.0 alpha and beta, especially in areas of speed and accuracy.

This version also includes a last.fm client and an album art display.

The software project is now on SourceForge. You can access the SourceForge pages at http://sbcontroller.sourceforge.net. This site serves as the software's documentation.

The software is packaged as both a Windows Installer file and as an executable JAR file. There is a Windows executable included.

Please check out the software and let me know what you think. This is a pet project of mine and I welcome comments and suggestions. The SourceForge site includes a link for comments.

Being on SourceForge means I intend to release the source to SBC very soon.

-- Mike
 
Emmanuel92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: France

Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:42 am

Many thanks Mike,

I posted a comment on Sourceforge because I have a problem listing artists/albums etc from my M2000.

Congratulations for this great software ! :)
 
Emmanuel92
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:18 pm
Location: France

Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:58 am

The soft runs perfectly but the visualizer on my M2000 gets very slow, and I have constant re-bufferings.

It seems the refresh rate from the SB's display is very high, maybe that's why this problem occurs (something like GetDisplayData is invoked at a high rate/s) ? As the M2000 screen is bigger than the M1000's, perhaps the M1000 does not suffer from this problem.

In the case this is the cause of the problem, would it be possible to have a preference option to set the number of times per second the display is refreshed from the SB ?
 
frethop
Topic Author
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:18 am

Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:53 pm

THanks. This is excellent feedback. I will hop right on this.

-- Mike
 
Niceaction
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:03 am

Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 pm

I like this alot, but it doesn't let me log into last.fm (it says my user name or password are wrong). i can log into the site normally via the web, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Any ideas?
 
bobinchicago
Posts: 136
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:15 pm

Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:22 pm

I wish I could give you a reliable description of what is and isn't going on, but discovery is really unreliable for me, and a lack of responsiveness and UI feedback keeps me from figuring it all out.

I have two M1001s and an R1000, all running 2.7.78. The first time I launched the program, I got the dialog asking whether I wanted to specify or discover units. I clicked Discover, and nothing happened. (Not even a progress indicator. Can I suggest a UI element for searching the network?) I had no idea whether it had crashed, failed to find any of the three SBs, or was still searching for them.

There's no apparently way to continue when that happens, so I quit SBC and relaunched it. This time, it quickly found all three SBs. I selected all three and clicked Select Device, and one opened. But it didn't tell me which one of the three it was. I have them named uniquely, but while those unique names were displayed in the Select Device dialog, neither the name nor the IP address was in the device's window. I finally found SoundBridge Info in the Tools menu, but it didn't give me the name, just the IP address. Fortunately, since I assign static IPs to them, I could take an informed guess at which one it was. (I assigned those IPs a couple of years ago but fortunately assigned from the back to the front of my apartment.)

I wanted to see the others, so I went to the Discovery menu and chose Add a SoundBridge and Discover one. This time it took about eight minutes to find all three units -- the last one being the one that was already open. (They were found individually a little less than three minutes apart.) I selected the R1000 this time, but it didn't open. The M1001's window seemed to refresh, and I thought perhaps multiple windows were disallowed, but checking Tools/Soundbridge Info, it's still displaying the original M1001. Ironically, the status window shows me an icon I don't recognize on the left, a tiny M1000 on the right, and a ton of white space in the middle.

It's a full five minutes later and the R1000 still hasn't opened.

The info I can give you is that I'm using a Macbook Pro from mid-2006, running 10.4.11, with a Netgear B/G router and nothing else currently active on the network. As I say, all three Soundbridges are at 2.7.78.

If there's anything else I can do to help you troubleshoot, please let me know, and if you need more detailed knowledge about my system or network, let me know via PM.

I do have to admit that while features like the artist list look very useful, I do prefer the more compact size of the earlier SBC. (And I know this version is customizable, but with three SBs here, I can't see how to display all three as compactly as the earlier version did. I do look forward to playing with it, but it isn't a priority since the old one works so well and this is currently so slow.)

Bob

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest