Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jcho
Topic Author

Iomega home media network drive

Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:52 am

I bought this device and out of the box Roku can see this share and connect to it (as itunes server share I think?)
but not browse anything,

after I downloaded an update from iomega because I could not see the files from Itunes either! I can see the songs from itunes, but roku cannot connect to it at all now.

Is there any hope for these 2 devices to work together one day?

jcho
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:08 am

After rebooting both device I am seeing the itune share as
"MyServer" <- Itune share..
and
another
[MyServer]TwonkyMedia

The itunes share is working via some of artist/album browsing it looks like it's finding info from MP3 tags.

I have just the bare files on individual folders. but I would like to have playlists..
What software do I create a playlist with? I am very new at this and I am not clear what kind of file structure the Roku likes.

On the hard drive I usually have each folder holding an album with 10-12 MP3 files inside.

Thanks

S80_UK

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:45 am

Hello jcho, Welcome to the forums.

I took a look at the Iomega user documentation for this - it is dreadful. No help at all on the media side.

Anyway, your report says that the box is running a version of TwonkyMedia which is a UPnP server that can stream music to your SoundBridge. This program normally needs some configuration, although it is possible that Iomega have a version installed which is very restricted. When TwonkyMedia is running on a PC or Linux platform, the usual way to configure it is using a web browser. The way to do this is to tell your browser to go to the IP address of the Iomega box and to talk using the correct port. TwonkyMedia usually uses port 9000.

So, if the IP address of the Iomega box on your network is something like 192.168.1.35 (just an example), then you would tell your web browser to go to http://192.168.1.35:9000

This would give you some options including some configuration options. You may then be able to set up which folders are shared.

Please try this and let us know how you get on.

Good luck!

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

jcho
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:07 am

Yes this is device does have some bugs.
It has itunes share "emulation" but no documentation about Twonkymedia.

cannot show my IPaddress:9000 from web browser so far.

The itunes emulation does work somewhat with my Roku (M500)
I have 3 directories but one direct I cannot play the songs out of, not sure if it's the file names or tag the Roku doesn't like,
access is fine from Itunes on my computer, though.

Thanks

jcho
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 am

There are some songs I can see from the itunes emulation but
some directory I cannot play from the roku, but some are fine,
and I have checked all the naming and MP3 tags and cannot find what is "offending" the roku between the working song dirs and the non-working ones.

I know this is all very new just posting my observatio just in case.

S80_UK

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:41 am

That's interesting. Do any of the files or folder names use extended character sets (characters with accents, or Asian characters such as simplified Chinese, or similar)? If they do, try renaming using only regular English characters to see if it makes any difference.

To be honest, since I don't have the Iomega box myself, I can only guess at what may be the problem. I hope that some other user can perhaps offer some suggestions....
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

jcho
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:47 am

yes, I appreciate your input anyway!

There is no non-english character, they are english albums.

I am still trying to find the cause by trial and error, to duplicate some of these content with a different tag or directory name to see what happens/

The roku sees the songs but when it just fails to play it.

I bought the device partly hoping the Roku can play the music off a low energy consumption unit that is on all the time, the idea is promising..

dupondt

Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi jcho,

sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems.

The "iTunes" server of Iomega's NAS boxes is notorious in these forums for not working properly. Please have a look at these threads (just two examples):

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=iomega
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ght=iomega

If I were you I would return the Iomega and buy a NAS that has proven to work flawlessly (a QNAP, for example).

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

jcho
Topic Author

Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:04 pm

Hello thanks for your help.

I find that this version of the product support DLNA and that shows up in the Roku as [myServer]TwonkyMedia.

Once I set my Music folder to share as DLNA protocol (and also itunes at the same time), the Roku can see the songs and play properly.

I don't know DLNA = Twonky??
Looks like Twonky cost money, but I just need the client, not the server?

What Client can I use on the PC to interface Twonky server ? I am very interested to remove Itunes from the PCs and use something else

I had a look at the product you recommend, wow they look very expensive .. that is more than I want to spend right now.

Thanks

alanmc

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:10 am

My personal experiences with Iomega products over the years has not been happy. Their documentation is not just poor, it’s utter Crap.

My first experience was back in the days of their Zip drives, and very stupidly I never seem to learn from my mistakes – I then went on to buy certain of their external HDD products, only to face further problems. Finally, in a fit of pique I gathered them all and dumped them in the Trash.

Do yourself a favour and ‘make’ yourself afford the very high quality QNAP TS-109 series NAS as mentioned earlier by my good friend ‘dupondt’, you’ll never regret this move - it will deliver all that you need, and comes with various on-board music servers, and will be a delight to use with your SoundBridge. Quality rarely comes cheap, and the QNAP delivers speed, silence, reliability and superb build-quality. I speak from personal experience.

valley_nomad

Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:49 pm

jcho wrote:
Hello thanks for your help.

I find that this version of the product support DLNA and that shows up in the Roku as [myServer]TwonkyMedia.

Once I set my Music folder to share as DLNA protocol (and also itunes at the same time), the Roku can see the songs and play properly.

I don't know DLNA = Twonky??
Looks like Twonky cost money, but I just need the client, not the server?

What Client can I use on the PC to interface Twonky server ? I am very interested to remove Itunes from the PCs and use something else

I had a look at the product you recommend, wow they look very expensive .. that is more than I want to spend right now.

Thanks

DLNA is based on UPnP. That is why Roku can work with Twonky.

You may want to check the following link for related software/hardware info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP_AV_MediaServers