Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tridentnyc
Topic Author

Newbie UPnP Question

Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:04 am

Hi all,

I have a question. I'm thinking of purchasing an [url]MVix MX-HD800 media player[/url]http://www.mvixusa.com/store/index.php?target=products&product_id=1592#main_description

This unit says that it supports UPnP with "the embedded Samba client". Does anyone know if THEORETICALLY whether this should be able to connect to my Soundbridge M1000? I would have the MX-HD800 connected to my wireless modem via ethernet and my Soundbridge already connects wirelessly to this same modem.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

tridentnyc
Topic Author

Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:42 pm

The HD-800 is a hard disc media player that can hold up to 1.5TB of media files.

In my case I have the SB in my kitchen and want to be able to stream my whole library of music (which is huge) to the SB which is connected to my stereo which feeds speakers in my kitchen and living room.

The HD-800 would reside in my den where my home theater is. I will have both movie files and audio files on the HD-800. The movie files are of no concern for this application..just the AIFF and MP3 audio files.

So ultimately I need the SB to act as a remote controller and playback device for my audio files stored on the HD-800 in another part of my house.

I am trying not to use a computer with iTunes or the like for this application. The HD-800 has Samba UPnP client software embedded in it which I THINK may accomplish this, but I wanted to ask the forum to verify before I purchase.

Make sense? Thanks for the help/interest.

Rob

S80_UK

Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:32 am

On the product page given it says "Complete Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) support with embedded Samba Client"

In my opinion, if they start talking like that it is time to walk away and buy something else.

Fundamentally, UPnP is nothing to do with Samba. A Samba client is able to access files and folders shared by a compatible server (Samba, Windows Shares, CIFS, call it what you will). UPnP clients access UPnP servers by making enquiries and getting responses, and making selections of content from those responses which is then streamed by the UPnP server to the UPnP client.

As bregent says, both the Roku and the MX-HD800 are media players. It has software clients, not servers, and so it cannot share content to other devices (as far as I can see it does not itself store any local content).
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i