ChicagoPete
Topic Author

RSBPlayer for Android

Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:54 pm

Beta Description
Now Playing view for current song information
Song Queue list to see what's next or change the current song
Browse current music library by Album, Artist, Genre, or Playlist
Selecting a song from the browse list will load the album or playlist to the queue and play from the selected song
Basic Roku SoundBridge controls for Play, Pause, Next, Previous, and Stop
Volume control using the device's hardware keys

This beta uses a very basic GUI. The purpose is to make sure that the app works on different devices in different network environments. The final release will contain spiffier transport controls, additional functionality for shuffle and repeat modes, and much greater control over song selection and queue manipulation. Plus, I hope to receive feedback from anyone who uses this and incorporate what I can into the final product.

Notes
Make sure your SoundBridge is set to reconnect to the music server on start up. The beta does not have any functionality to select a music server.
The data on the Now Playing screen and the status on the title bar are refreshed with each tab change. There are no services running behind the scenes to keep the display up to date.
While building large browse lists, there is no dialog to indicate progress. Once the main lists are built, they are cached on the phone as long as the program stays in memory.
If your wifi connection drops while the program is in the foreground, it will force close.
I have it working here on both a G1 and an N1.

Bugs
Browse list sometimes forgets position when the back key is used

EDIT: RSBPlayer is now available on the Android Market! RSBPlayer Market Page
Last edited by ChicagoPete on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Re: RSBPlayer for Android

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Has anyone had any luck installing this thing and getting it to work? I did have a chance to install it on a MT3G yesterday and it seemed to go fine. Should I wait patiently until the weekend for people to have a chance to use it?

Or have I made a horrible mistake in picking this to be my first Android development project? :)

lippetm

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:03 am

Hi Pete,
Just wondering whether you can let me know how this works?
I've downloaded the file and installed it onto the android phone, when it opens it says I have to enter the IP address into the Soundbridge... but as I've only just got the SB I have no idea how you do this?
Thanks
malcolm

DerekHelps

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 pm

a. On the soundbridge, scroll down to change library or configuration. Should be the last item.
b. Select it and then go to change system configuration.
c. Select show wifi status or ethernet status, based on how you connect.
d. The soundbridge's IP address and Mac address is listed there.
-IP address format: 192.168.x.y
-Mac Address format: 00:0d:xx:yy:zz:aa
e. Back under system configuration, scroll down to Network Control, and verify it's enabled.
Netgear WNR2000v2
Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT Firmware acting as Client Bridge
Soundbridge M2000/M500/R1000
Roku 2 XS 3100
-------------------------------------------------
It's all in the <sup>details</sup>

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks for jumping in there Derek, I didn't get a chance to check the thread last week.

Malcolm, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the app and how it's working for you!

lippetm

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:15 pm

Hi Pete,
I've been away for the last week so haven't had a chance to play yet.
I'll have a go in the next few days and get back to you.
Many thanks for your help.
M

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:36 pm

No, no updates. Didn't have much time over the summer, plus there wasn't much feedback here. I am planning on finishing my list for release to the Market, probably before the holidays. What version of Android is running on the x10 Mini? Are you unable to enter an IP address, or does the app think that there's no SB at that location?

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:11 pm

OK, I have a good idea how to fix that. I imagine you'll have the same problem with the Now Playing screen also, so I'll make the same change there.

I am concerned that if your resolution is so low as to not see that button the way it is, that the queue list and the browse list might be very small or only show a line or two at a time. But, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'll let you know when the new version is ready.

Pete

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I created a new version of the beta for you to test. I posted it on the new website I created for the application. I'll continue to monitor the thread here, and any comments on the site.

If you could do me a favor and comment on the website, just so I can see how I'll be notified of any posts, that would be great. (This is the first website I've published publicly)

I updated the first post in this thread with the new website. RSBPlayer Website

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:52 am

It still doesn't handle connecting to music libraries yet, so make sure that you have your SoundBridge set to reconnect to the last library when it powers on. If you don't want to do that, you can also just have it playing some music (not internet radio) when you connect.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:34 pm

Thanks to blamm, I've really made some progress this weekend on the app. The newest beta is on the website and - barring any serious problems - contains the final UI. I've still got a little work to do on making and remembering the connection to the SoundBridge, but I think it's pretty close to being published.

blamm, please make sure that everything fits OK on your display. The connection screen is the same, and I changed the Now Playing screen to push the transport buttons down to the bottom for easier thumb access. It's all relative to the device so it should be fine, but I'd like to make sure it works for you since I don't have a QVGA screen to try it out here.

I'd also like to hear from anyone else who's using it if they have any suggestions or at least how it's working for them.

Thanks

gouldinio

Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:12 am

Hi !

Just come across so thought I'd give it a go - I got a Samsung Galaxy, should it work on that?

Anyway, first of all, when prompted to input IP of soundbridge it seems to add a line break in and so it doesn't connect... if I first press delete (where default IP is greyed) and type IP over the top it can connect. That's the first part, so it seems to connect and get to the actual program.

But now I can't do anything in the program and have to force close (theres an error I can't recall).

It seems I had to do this (force close) a few times, but after about 3 times it seems to work.

I shall play :D Nice work, many thanks

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 pm

You know, I forgot about that problem with the keyboard putting a line break/space/whatever after the periods. I'm going to force it to a numeric input so that doesn't happen anymore.

I haven't had any problems with FC other than when the WiFi connection drops. I've been thinking about forcing WiFi to stay on while the program is in memory, but was worried that people wouldn't like me changing that setting. Maybe I should, just to keep the FC from happening. Is it possible that your WiFi is dropping and causing your problems?

wmcneil

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Pete,

I'm a new Android smart phone(htc droid incredible, Android 2.2) owner, but a long time Soundbridge user for both Internet radio and streaming music from my PC server. I have tried out RSBPlayer, and it is a very nice app. Thank you! As far as future enhancements go, the two that jump out at me are ability to save the IP address, and ability to switch between PC server and Internet Radio. Thanks again, and looking forward to seeing your app out there on the Android Marketplace.

Bill
Used to have a Photobridge HD1000 RevA,128M swap,100M wired
Soundbridge M500, 100M wired

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:57 pm

A quick update -

Over the weekend I updated my development computer to the latest and greatest version of Android and everything still works! Thanks to everyone for the feedback, here's my next steps:

• I already made a change to force the numeric keyboard to pop up when entering the IP address. No more extra character when hitting the period key
  • I'll make the program do a better job at remembering the last successful IP address, so that even if you are forced back to that screen (because of the WiFi not being turned on) or accidentally hit the Change IP Address menu option, it'll have your old IP address pre-entered in that field and you'll just have to hit Connect
  • Quiet day at work today, I was able to look up how to create a little popup to show that the program is downloading your list. That should also stop any FC that are happening because it's taking too long
  • I'll up the size of the Now Playing font. I didn't want to go crazy with that just because of your device blamm. Let me know how the bigger size works out
  • I had thought about the notification bar thing before, but put it on the side to concentrate on the main functionality. I'll take a look at this again
  • Internet Radio, album art, and local playback. Probably not for the lite version - but I can reasoned with :)