Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

GoDillos

Re: RSBPlayer for Android

Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:15 pm

This app is awesome. This kind of advanced control from your phone could really keep the Soundbridge relevant for many years. It would be cool if it could merge in the basic controls found in the Androku app: http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appl ... _hjvp.html

I think the main other thing it needs is a text entry area for the browse screen that takes you to the place in the list based on what you are typing. So, instead of having to scroll all the way down to Nirvana, you just start typing "Ni".

There are a ton of other little cool things I can think about for this. And, it sort of freaks out when I open and close the slider on my Motorola Devour. (It might just need a landscape mode.)

Is this open source? I would love to be able to contribute in some way.

dupondt

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Pete,

I like the concept of RSBPlayer and the UI is nice, too.

However, while playing aroung with your software on a recently purchased LG GT540 Optimus running Android 1.6 I found the following:

a) the software crashes frequently but in most cases I can't replicate the crashes;
b) if RSBPlayer is launched while the SB is in internet radio mode there's no way to switch to music library mode, perhaps your software could automatically set the SB to music library mode on startup;
c) browsing genres in internet radio mode works, but selecting a genre leads to a crash;
d) on startup RSBPlayer sporadically does not connect to the SB, I then have to re-enter the IP address to establish the connection;
e) RSBPlayer only uses the actual music library, switching to another library isn't possible.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

henrik@d-sign.dk

Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 am

Hi Pete
Having installed your RSBPlayer on my HTC Hero version 2.1 i must say i works nicely.
I have aprox. 10.000 titles on my NAS (HP Mediavault) and have used SB (M400PX) for some years.
Think your app is great and hope you continue development.

Br
Henrik

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi all,

It looks like I lost my subscription to this thread, I wasn't aware of the additional comments on here. Thanks for the kind words and feedback!

I just posted a new version of the beta (Beta 4) on the website. The changes are:
  • Fixed the keyboard to default to numbers and allow a period without putting additional characters in the IP address.
  • Increased the font size for the song information. Let me know if I've got the right size for all devices.
  • Much improved saving of the IP address
  • Automatic WiFi! It will now turn on your wifi when you start the app and hold it while it's in the foreground. If it goes to the background or the device turns off, it will release the lock and allow your normal wifi operation. I also added an Exit option on the menu which will close the program and turn off the wifi

Playing with the wifi was pretty tricky, but it forced me to get a much better handle on how Android applications work. I'm a professional software developer, but new to both Java and Android. All the learning I've done has improved the stability of the application while I'm using it, I hope it does the same for you.

I still haven't put in any spinners to let you know that the program is downloading album/artist/etc. information... I have a feeling it's going to be an embarrassingly simple change, so I'll just apologize now for not getting that in there yet. You'll see new waits as the program starts up while it's verifying the wifi connection and the connection to the SoundBridge. I'll add spinners there too with informational messages about what's going on.

To-Dos:
  • Spinners
  • Music library management
  • Landscape
  • Notification bar

I'll also re-subscribe to this thread so I don't miss any more posts. Thanks for all the feedback!

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:07 am

Oh no, that's bad news. There's some new permissions in this version to manage the WiFi. Did you try uninstalling the old version and then installing the new one?

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 am

OK, I'll see if I can find a device on which to reproduce your problem. I don't have any experience at reading log files, but if you want to PM yours (preferably right after the problem happens) I'll take a look at that too.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:59 pm

There's a free app on the market to collect the log

http://www.androlib.com/android.applica ... r-zpn.aspx

If I remember right, it'll create an email with the log as an attachment. If the phone hasn't been booted in a while, it could be quite a big file. Once you create a draft of the email from your phone, you can go on a regular computer to chop it down to just around the time when the error occurred. You can also reboot first, re-created the error, and then collect the log.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 am

I'll take a look at the log when I get to work. But thought of a couple of this this morning to try out...

Try having the wifi already on when you start the app.
Try having the SoundBridge already on and connected to a music library when you start thus app.
Try clearing the application data.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:33 am

Quick update, I worked with blamm to fix his FC, if anyone else is experiencing this I can post a new version on the website.

I am deep into adding spinners for album/artist/genre loading. It turns out it really isn't simple at all and I'm having a hard time getting it to work. I'll keep working on it - if there are any other problems with the current version I can still retreat to the pre-spinner version without too much trouble to make those fixes.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 am

Spinners are working! I posted a new version on the website. This includes the FC fix that I mentioned in the previous post and all the spinners.

When you start the app, you'll see the progress updated while WiFi is turned on and while it's connecting to your SoundBridge. Then the first time you load Albums/Artists/Genres/Playlists you'll see a message that it's working in the background. Once those lists are loaded I keep them in memory, so you won't see the spinners again unless you exit the app or the app gets kicked out of memory.

It seems that my G1 reports WiFi as active too soon, and I end up getting a "Can not connect" message, but if I keep hitting the Connect button, it goes through in a few seconds. I don't know if that's a problem with all G1s, all Android 1.6 devices, or just my phone. It does work just fine on my N1. Let me know how it goes on your devices.

After the Big Game and parties today, I'll get back to work on the rest of my to-do list.

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:28 pm

I added music library support to Beta 6, now available on the website.

Menu>Music Libraries will get you a list of music available on your network. I disabled the non-Now Playing tabs if you start the app while connected to internet radio since the information returned by the RSB while in radio mode doesn't match what those tabs are supposed to be displaying. At least now you can navigate to a music library within the app.

Since the Now Playing information was updated while moving between tabs, I found that while connected to internet radio it was inconvenient to refresh. So I added refresh logic directly on the Now Playing tab. Just tap any of the Song/Album/Artist info, and you'll be refreshed to the current song. This works in both radio and music modes.

I also replaced the Play/Pause/Next/Previous text with standard media icons. I'm going to add landscape layouts, and then put it on the market.

I hope it works well for everyone!

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:35 pm

I published RSBPlayer on the Android Market today! I have updated the original post to point to the new web page. Anybody who has tried any of the beta versions will need to uninstall that in order to successfully install version 1.0.0

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

RSBPlayer Market Page

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sun May 15, 2011 9:41 pm

I just published an update with a couple of new features.

- An option to place the SoundBridge in standby mode when exiting.
- An option to save up to three SoundBridge IP addresses for quick connecting.

wmcneil

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:45 am

Thanks very much for the update. When I try to update using the Android Marketplace, I am getting a "Package file was not signed correctly" message.
Used to have a Photobridge HD1000 RevA,128M swap,100M wired
Soundbridge M500, 100M wired

ChicagoPete
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:49 am

Did you by any chance use the beta that had been posted here? If so, you'll have to uninstall that first before you can successfully install the market version.