Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

wideasleep1

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:19 pm

Any chance for a WM5/6 Smartphone version? :)

I have the MDA which works perfectly, but now also have a DASH, and would love to use it with VMR.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

tal
Topic Author

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:38 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
Any chance for a WM5/6 Smartphone version? :)

I have the MDA which works perfectly, but now also have a DASH, and would love to use it with VMR.

That's something I definitly like to do (infact for some time now) but it is a little to much work for me right now (esp. because of the missing touch screen). Apart from the problem that I cannot afford to spend that much time on VisualMR as I would like to, I don't have a SmartPhone myself for testing it. But maybe when the new WM6 smartphones become available I'll look into investing in one :)

Anyway maybe I'll manage to produce a version that is workable with some limitations and try it on the emulator...

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

wideasleep1

Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 pm

Thanks Thorsten...even if it don't happen, you still da man! :D
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

mscox_au

Really cool software - thanks a lot

Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Thanks Thorsten for some really cool and functional software. If you're still taking requests for features, is there any way to have the album art being read from the Attached Image tag within the files (I'm not sure how this could be done through the firefly media server, it may also require some feature request) instead of from an external website?

cheers and congrats,
MichaelC

Update: There is a way to get it via the firefly media server through the DAAP protocol. The following topic has some information.

YourMum

Restart SoundBridge?

Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:11 am

Hey Thorsten,

Not sure if this has been asked or answered - couldn't find it after a quick search...

Is it possible to access the "Restart Soundbridge" menu from VisualMR at all? My SB seems to lose connection to my iTunes Server (fairly regularly, it would seem), and re-starting the SB usually fixes the problem...

Cheers.
YourMum
---
Have you tried the Roku / iTunes Track Counter?

Johncan

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:55 pm

Request: Some of the media players like Foobar display album art of jpg's found in the album folder. They look for a file called folder.jpg in the folder containing all the songs in one album. For example:

The Monkees/More of the Monkees/folder.jpg
The Monkees/More of the Monkees/Track 1.flac
The Monkees/More of the Monkees/Track 2.flac

Is it possible for VisualMR to do this rather than going out to Amazon?

Thanks! Great program!

John

guysivey

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:11 pm

Haven't we been here before?

My vote is for displaying the image file which is embedded in the music file. iTunes will insert this automatically (>= v6?) and you can change it if the default is not the one you want/like. Then VMR just needs to extract this data like the comment tag which it handles so well.

There are other utilities for maintaining this metadata and using it avoids the problems associated with locating the music file and knowing which naming standard to use for the image file. A media player like Roku, and dependent applications like VMR, should communicate with a server app, like Firefly/iTunes, not with Windows/Linux/OSx.

Also, if you need to transfer the music file to another medium, the metadata goes with it.

Guy

Johncan

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:16 pm

I don't use iTunes. All my files are FLAC.

guysivey

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:19 pm

"There are other utilities..."

Doesn't FLAC support embedded tags?

Johncan

Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:34 pm

Flac 1.1.4 does. I will need to embed them. Will VisualMR see the embedded art?

John

guysivey

Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:09 am

I think it is on Thorsten's list of requested features.
Guy

tal
Topic Author

Re: Restart SoundBridge?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:16 pm

YourMum wrote:
Is it possible to access the "Restart Soundbridge" menu from VisualMR at all?

Currently not. I had it on my todo list in the beginning when RCP was quite unstable but I never felt the need for adding it later. And of course one problem is that it would only work if the network connection is still functional. If more people whant that I'll add it to VisualMR. Shouldn't be that hard to do.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

Re: Really cool software - thanks a lot

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:21 pm

mscox_au wrote:
If you're still taking requests for features, is there any way to have the album art being read from the Attached Image tag within the files

That's something I had been working on before doing the Amazon work-around but it isn't easy to do. And of course not every format supports id tags (for example they are lost when using transcoding). But since I use mp3 files and firefly myself this combination is quite likely to get support for embedded cover art if it can be done :)

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:24 pm

Johncan wrote:
Request: Some of the media players like Foobar display album art of jpg's found in the album folder. They look for a file called folder.jpg in the folder containing all the songs in one album. For example:

The Monkees/More of the Monkees/folder.jpg
The Monkees/More of the Monkees/Track 1.flac
The Monkees/More of the Monkees/Track 2.flac

Is it possible for VisualMR to do this rather than going out to Amazon?

Thanks! Great program!

John

This approach is also something I have on my list for improved cover art support. This has some problems to. For example that due to the streaming nature VisualMR doen't know the location of the files.

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Johncan wrote:
Flac 1.1.4 does. I will need to embed them. Will VisualMR see the embedded art?

Sorry, currently embedded cover art isn't supported in any format. I had a discussion with RokuMike about it and learned from that that it is even more complicated than I already thought :wink:

guysivey wrote:
I think it is on Thorsten's list of requested features.

Correct. I really want to add support for locally stored cover art. But it is something that will take some time and which might not be solvable in a general way, meaning that it'll work with any type of server and any file format.

Thorsten