Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

aeppler42

Control SB Volume?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:30 am

Hi,

I just found this little program, downloaded it to my pocket PC and it works great. Thanks a lot!
Just a couple of questions
- is there a way to control the SB volume through the program or is it planned to implement it in a future release?

- is it planned to add a feature so you can browse through the music library of the server (I use either Daap or UPnP Twonky as protocols) and add songs to the SB play list similar to the functionality of the SB IR remote control.

Thanks Again

Aeppler

tal
Topic Author

Re: Control SB Volume?

Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:03 am

aeppler42 wrote:
is it planned to add a feature so you can browse through the music library of the server (I use either Daap or UPnP Twonky as protocols) and add songs to the SB play list similar to the functionality of the SB IR remote control.

I will soon update my software so that you can browse by Artist, Album, Composer or Genre similar to the current "Browse Playlists" feature.

Due to limitations in the current SoundBridge firmware I have no chance of adding a more sophisticated play-queue editing right now but at least you will be able to do things like scheduling all tracks of an artists for playback. Based on the posts of the Roku-guys I'm optimistic that there soon will be an updated firmware with much more support in this respect (and of course I will update my software to use these new features as soon as possible :) )

ukanalyst wrote:
I have to say I am very impressed with your application; for such a simply laid out app, it's rich in features for a PPC remote and the build quality is superb from what I've seen so far. Do you have plans to include a volume slider perhaps?

The next version will feature volume control. Not exactly a slider but descrete sound levels which works fine (better) for me. If needed I will add a slider when I do the facelift for the user interface.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

VisualMR V0.9

Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:33 am

As promised a new version is avaiable at my homepage:

http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php

As can be seen from the url I renamed the application to VisualMR which is short for Visual Media Remote, because the name BridgeControl is already in use (although for something totally different). Additionally a more general name might be usefull in case there will be a compatible device not named SoundBridge (as I learned Roku is offering their engine to OEMs).

Main new features:

- Browse by album, artist, composer or genre (similar to already existing 'Browse Playlist')

- Volume control and status display

- 'Browse forms' now with new nicer /better readable lists

- Deferred loading to open even large lists quickly (length of lists now only limited by SoundBridge)

- Current item expands to display long names (and for songs, album and artist are displayed within the list)

Thorsten

UKChris

Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:15 am

Hi Thorsten
I have just download your app for the first time and just wanted to say thanks for a cool piece to software.
Chris
Draytek 2600VG Router, wireless SB M1000, wired Twonky on NSLU2 for main mp3 etc music, Cidero on wireless PCs for control and playlist creation

jgkoss

Re: VisualMR V0.9

Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:05 pm

[quote="tal"]As promised a new version is avaiable at my homepage:

I just downloaded your program for my Ipaq 4145H ppc. Thank you very much. It's awesome.

jk

aeppler42

Time Out with UPnP

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:15 am

Hi,
thanks for the latest release. I am using the Pocket PC version. When I select to stream with the Twonky UPnP protocol from the Hifidelio to the SB I get a Time Out error (15030 vs. 15000 ListAlbums) I get the same effect browsing artists. Browsing playlists works OK with UPnP
Browsing with the Daaps protocol works fine for every category!

Aeppler

tal
Topic Author

Re: Time Out with UPnP

Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:14 pm

aeppler42 wrote:
When I select to stream with the Twonky UPnP protocol from the Hifidelio to the SB I get a Time Out error (15030 vs. 15000 ListAlbums) I get the same effect browsing artists. Browsing playlists works OK with UPnP

Strange, one sould expect that 15 seconds are enough for Twonky/Hifedelio to respond. Maybe there is a problem with RCP when browsing a slow server.

Does brosing Albums/Artists work for you with Twonky if you use the SoundBridge itself? If not then there is no chance for VisualMR since it browses the server using the SoundBridge. If it does work for you, please contact me directly by email (http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/contact.php - since we both live in Germany German would be fine :wink: ) and maybe we can track it down together.

Thorsten

aeppler42

Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:39 am

tal wrote:
aeppler42 wrote:
If it does work for you, please contact me directly by email (http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/contact.php - since we both live in Germany German would be fine :wink: ) and maybe we can track it down together.

Thorsten

I have just sent you an e-mail. Thanks for your support.

Aeppler

tal
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:54 am

tal wrote:
aeppler42 wrote:
When I select to stream with the Twonky UPnP protocol from the Hifidelio to the SB I get a Time Out error (15030 vs. 15000 ListAlbums) I get the same effect browsing artists. Browsing playlists works OK with UPnP

Strange, one sould expect that 15 seconds are enough for Twonky/Hifedelio to respond.

We sorted it out. Seems like Hifidelio really needs longer than 15s to retrieve the list of albums, artists,...

I uploaded a new version V0.9.2 which waits longer for server responses.

Since I haven't received any similar reports and Twonky on a slow PC did work for me I suppose this is a fix for Hifidelio only.

Note: The increased timeouts are the only change. If you don't experience the timeout-problem described above there is no reason you need to update.

Thorsten

Shodan

Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:05 am

Great software !

When i add an album to the palylist the tracks of this album are sorted by name and not by tracknummer ?

eg.
Album XYZ with the tracks

Trk titel
01 Hello world
02 A good thing
03 Zorro lives

If i select add album "XYZ" with the IR remote directly on the Soundbridge i get this playlist:

Hello world
A good thing
Zorro lives

If i use your tool i get this playlist:

A good thing
Hello world
Zorro lives

I'm using Twonky on a linksys as server and all the mp3 are correctly tagged with tracknumbers.

Greetings (also in Germany)
Shodan

tal
Topic Author

Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:44 am

Shodan wrote:
Great software !

When i add an album to the palylist the tracks of this album are sorted by name and not by tracknummer ?

Sorry I did not reply earlier but I've been away for the past week and just returned.

The problem is with the current Roku Control Protocol implementation and nothing I can change right now (and I would really like to) :(

I first thought it is only a problem with a few servers but now I'm quite certain that it is a general problem. I posted it as a problem in
this thread and I will update my homepage to make it clear that this is a known limitation (and keep hoping that this will be fixed with the next Roku firmware)

Thorsten

denony

Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:46 pm

Hello :)

I have a feature request for VisualMR ;) Is it possible to add a Browse directories option in the View menu ? My M1000 displays this option in its menu but VisualMR doesn't. :oops: And I haven’t found another way to get Webradios with Twonky Music Server than use this option :(

Thank you.

Denony

tal
Topic Author

Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:52 pm

denony wrote:
I have a feature request for VisualMR ;) Is it possible to add a Browse directories option in the View menu ? My M1000 displays this option in its menu but VisualMR doesn't. :oops: And I haven’t found another way to get Webradios with Twonky Music Server than use this option :(

Oops - I was quite certain I did respond to your post but now when I looked again it seems like I did not submit it.

In short: I don't have the 'Browse directories' option on my SOundBridge. Probably because I'M using mt-daapd/iTunes. Now that I've finished rewriting the user interface of VisualMR I will look into setting up Twonky and see what's needed to provide 'Browse directories'

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

V0.9.5 released

Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:04 pm

I just uploaded a new version of VisualMR. Although the change in the version is number is quite small (it should have been 1.0 but now I thought I wait for the next Roku firmware before calling it 1.0) it is in fact a big step for VisualMR: It has a complete new user interface for 'now playing'.

And if you don't like the new look you can simply build your own because it is fully skinnable :D Creating your own skin is very easy: only graphics skills are needed (and a little XML editing). I will soon upload a description to my homepage on how to create a skin.

Additional changes are:
- PC Version now comes with an installer
- Full support for VGA (hires) PocketPCs
- PC version supports 4 different layouts (both smaller and bigger than before)
- 'Browse' forms now support listing the songs (for example all songs of an album) to select a single one for playback
- M1001 (firmware V2.4.4) is now supported

As usual you can download the new version from

Thorsten

lesgainous
Location: Application Developer for a "large software company" in the Pacific Northwest.

Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:09 pm

Good work, Thorsten.

It works great. I'm glad to see the v2.4.4 warning go away. :lol:

This version also seems a bit quicker (or it could be my imagination). Anyway, thanks!
Les
SoundBridge M1001, firmware v2.5.43; WinXP, WMC v2; Altec Lansing surround sound system (L-R, 2-satellites, sub-woofer); Acoustic Research AW811 Outdoor Wireless speaker system for poolside sounds.