Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

zuovo

Re: Restart SoundBridge?

Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:13 pm

YourMum wrote:
Is it possible to access the "Restart Soundbridge" menu from VisualMR at all? My SB seems to lose connection to my iTunes Server (fairly regularly, it would seem), and re-starting the SB usually fixes the problem...

What happens if you use "Change Library" in VisualMR to reconnect to your server? Does this give an error?

Of course the best solution would be to fix the connection problem. Reconnecting is annoying. Rebooting sounds crazy to me. You must be a very patient person... :)

Edit: I just saw a post suggesting that DHCP lease renewal is a likely cause of a dropped music server. Does your iTunes server have a static IP address? If not, you could try that and see if it fixes your problem...

nep

Sun May 13, 2007 4:59 pm

brilliant program, you work is very appreciated. quick question, i have a smartphone (wm5) however, it doesnt have wifi. is it possible to use bluetooth in a similar manner, or am i outta luck in regards to using this program?

tal
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2007 9:30 am

nep wrote:
brilliant program, you work is very appreciated.

nep wrote:
i have a smartphone (wm5) however, it doesnt have wifi. is it possible to use bluetooth in a similar manner, or am i outta luck in regards to using this program?

If you mean smartphone in the (old) Micorsoft term that is without a touchscreen than VisualMR will currently not run on it since it requires a touchscreen (what used to be called PocketPC).

Regarding bluetooth the answer is not that simple. Personally I use it exclusively with bluetooth and a PocketPC (don't have WLAN). But you'll require a bluetooth accesspoint which supports the correct bluetooth networking profile and a PocketPC that supports the same bluetooth profile (not every pocketPC and I believe no Smartphone at all does support bluetooth networking). I'm not sure if I should recommend that solution since at least my bluetooth access point needs resetting from time to time and connecting the PocketPC to the network over bluetooth isn't automatic/simple as when using WLAN.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

VisualMR V1.6.0 released

Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:25 am

Hi,

finally I managed to upload VisualMR V1.6 with firmware 3.0 support.

Here's what new since V1.5 (if you have an older version just check my versions history):
- Firmware V3.0 (currently in beta) supported

- Windows Live Messenger (MSN Messenger) integration: VisualMR updates 'What I'm listening'
PC Only: VisualMR will pass the info to the Messenger client running on your PC
-> Windows Live Messenger must be running and 'What I'm Listening' must be enabled in the Messenger.
(see also my other post below)

- Name of SoundBridge in VisualMR's window title

- Mouse wheel support (PC only)

- Workaround: Some servers return an error the first time artists/... are browsed.

- BlueGlass' visual appearance optimized

- Skinning enhancements (I'll post about that later in the VisualMR skinning thread as soon as I've updated the documentation)

- Fixed the playlist issues (PocketPC busy cursor and removed caching)

This version takes advantage of some of the improvements in the 3.0 firmware:
- Automatic sorting: No need for manual and slow sorting of songs when browsing by genre, artist or album

- Initial RadioRoku integration (browsing currently by Genre only)

Full RadioRoku support is planned for the next release.

The new version is available as usual from
http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php
(PocketPC users please remember to install the included BlueGlass skin, too)

Thorsten

Edit: Clarified Windows Life Messenger integration to be PC-only
Last edited by tal on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

wideasleep1

Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:47 am

Awesome! 8)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

zuovo

Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:51 pm

Woo hoo! Thank you Thorsten! I just tried it out. Some comments & questions:

1) I see this new version also has a File > Wide Scroller setting, so it is much easier to navigate the lists with your thumb. This is great! Hey...is it possible to also make the scrollbar thumb ~taller~ (like 24px minimum height) so it would be easier to drag with fingers?

2) Is "Windows Live Messenger integration" a desktop-only feature? I don't need it; I'm just wondering if the PocketPC will try to access the internet for this.

3) Since SB 3.0 provides GetActiveServerInfo, would you (pretty please) consider keeping the browse cache across sessions? Currently the browse cache is cleared every time VMR reconnects to the SB, which happens quite often due to wireless problems/timeouts, or sleeping/waking the PocketPC. It would be great if the browse cache was still in memory when VMR reconnects to the SB and the same server. Otherwise it takes another 20 seconds or so to get all the Artists, Albums, and Genres...

Thanks again Thorsten - you rock. :)

tal
Topic Author

Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:50 am

zuovo wrote:
1) I see this new version also has a File > Wide Scroller setting, so it is much easier to navigate the lists with your thumb. This is great! Hey...is it possible to also make the scrollbar thumb ~taller~ (like 24px minimum height) so it would be easier to drag with fingers?

Unfortunately not. I haven't found a setting for that. But I have some ideas for future versions for more thumb-friendly operations.

zuovo wrote:
2) Is "Windows Live Messenger integration" a desktop-only feature? I don't need it; I'm just wondering if the PocketPC will try to access the internet for this.

I just edited my previous post. It is PC only and doesn't send anything directly over the internet. If you don't have Windows Live Messenger running, nothing happens at all. If the Messenger is running (PC only), the current song info is sent to the Messenger which in turn - if "What I'm listening" in the Messenger is enabled - will show it in your status.

zuovo wrote:
3) Since SB 3.0 provides GetActiveServerInfo, would you (pretty please) consider keeping the browse cache across sessions?

I haven't forgotton about that :wink: Problem mainly is that I wanted this version to be compatible with V2.7 (and V2.5) and introducing 3.0-only features was quite some work because of all the testing involved. Therefore I focused on removing the need for manual sorting as the biggest issue fixed with 3.0 and some basic RadioRoku access.

My plan is to do a big jump in the next release taking advantage of the 3.0 improvements which in turn will be the first step for enabling a better cache management.

Thorsten

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:17 am

If you keep this up thorsten, i`m going to have to make another donation!

zuovo

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:16 pm

tal wrote:
I have some ideas for future versions for more thumb-friendly operations

Awesome. FWIW, a couple of suggestions...

On devices with touch screens, it would be great if VisualMR allowed gesture-based scrolling, like the "flick" gesture now used on the iphone or the "scrub" gesture from the ipod wheel. If you can get a timestamped stream of touchscreen positions, I would be happy to help with the gesture parsing code. That would be a fun project...

On all devices, it would be great if VisualMR used the universal dpad buttons for control and scrolling. Already discussed in more detail in the VisualMR Skinning thread.

tal wrote:
My plan is to do a big jump in the next release taking advantage of the 3.0 improvements which in turn will be the first step for enabling a better cache management.

Woohoo! Can't wait... :)

wideasleep1

Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:20 pm

zuovo wrote:
On all devices, it would be great if VisualMR used the universal dpad buttons for control and scrolling. Already discussed in more detail in the VisualMR Skinning thread.

If this would 'enable' non-touchscreen smartphone usage (re: Dash) , I'd be stoked! :D

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

zuovo

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:28 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:
If this would 'enable' non-touchscreen smartphone usage (re: Dash) , I'd be stoked! :D

It would be a start. Another big thing would be to rework the menus to include all functions that are currently provided only via touchscreen buttons or context menus. And then you need to think about the different keypad/keyboard arrangements, skins for various screen resolutions, etc.

But that is just the UI stuff. I have no idea how much effort it would take to port the code of an app like VisualMR to a smartphone flavor of Windows Mobile. Only Thorsten could say. It looks similar on the surface, but there could be large differences in capabilities and APIs under the covers.

Personally I think we will see many more touchscreen phones in the near future, so my bets are on WM Professional over WM Standard. But dpad support would be useful for both...

Cheers!

ps - The Dash looks pretty cool. Can you tell me - how does the wifi work for you? Do you use it in your home network? Is it completely open, or do you have to pay some fees to use this capability?

wideasleep1

Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:58 pm

zuovo wrote:
ps - The Dash looks pretty cool. Can you tell me - how does the wifi work for you? Do you use it in your home network? Is it completely open, or do you have to pay some fees to use this capability?

Wifi works great, as does the EDGE network via T-Mobile...often I can stream 128k streams off of EDGE with only occasional dropouts, 64 and 32 streams w/ no issues at all. On Wifi at home (I run b+g) it behaves as expected, and I assigned it it's own static ip per usual. See Hofo forums for more details:
http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324
and FatWallet for special deal/promo:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/message ... word1=Dash
G'Luck!

edit: wifi is completely free (as is wardriving), but TMO EDGE cost varies: I pay 5.99/mo for 'T MOBILE WEB' on the Dash and have full capabilities, but pay 19.99/mo for full 'blackberry service' on my MDA. Dash has WM6, MDA has WM5 and runs VisualMR like a dream. :)

tal
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:32 am

zuovo wrote:
tal wrote:
I have some ideas for future versions for more thumb-friendly operations

Awesome. FWIW, a couple of suggestions...

On devices with touch screens, it would be great if VisualMR allowed gesture-based scrolling, like the "flick" gesture now used on the iphone or the "scrub" gesture from the ipod wheel. If you can get a timestamped stream of touchscreen positions, I would be happy to help with the gesture parsing code. That would be a fun project...

Thanks for your offer - that's the direction I'm thinking, too. But I'll have to finish a couple of other things first before I'll get to that. But it's definately on my list.

zuovo wrote:

That's not forgotton. Simple scrolling should work in all list but more dpad support is planned.

Cheers
Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:43 am

zuovo wrote:
But that is just the UI stuff. I have no idea how much effort it would take to port the code of an app like VisualMR to a smartphone flavor of Windows Mobile. Only Thorsten could say.

The UI stuff certainly is a big part. My first step will be optionally reorganizing the menus to conform to WM5/WM6 standard enabling soft key support. Apart from that there is the problem with code signing and different cab-files.

And then there is the problem of me not having a non-touchscreen device. That makes development (and support) quite difficult and keeps my motivation of doing such a version very limited. As soon as I get a non-touch ("WM6 Standard Edition") phone there'll certainly be a version of VisualMR for it quite soon afterwards :)

Cheers
Thorsten

glennkil

240 x 240 resolution.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:31 am

Is there a skin for Visual MR ythat suits 240 x 240 resolution? My IPAQ has a square screen and the initial discovery screen has the buttons out of sight at the bottom of the screen.