I don't think that increasing the timeout would help you much. As one could see from few attempts where you got past that initial statement it is more a problem with the connection.
I never encountered something like this myself but there were two users with similar problems where the problem boiled down to a problem with the WLAN implementation on quite old PPCs when the workload was to high. While I made VisualMR work on that configuration by finetuning some paramters, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a similar problem in your case.
So the question is: what did change in your system that VisualMR suddenly doesn't work anymore? Maybe you changed something that increased the workload on the PPC like activating advanced encryption, installing other software, running low on memory, or maybe even some changes to the skin could cause the workload to increase (larger images,...).
Could you please tell me which type of PocketPC you use? Have you tried if VisualMR works for you on the PC? I would expect it to still run fine on the PC.
FWIW, I use a Dell Axim X30, 624Mhz, WM 2003 SE, Funk Software Odyssey wifi client (included in Dell ROM), WPA TKIP encryption.
Changes in the past few months:
1) Upgraded from VisualMR 1.5 to 1.6.
2) Upgraded from SoundBridge 2.7 beta to 2.7 final (and 3.0 beta on one unit).
3) Neighbors have put up at least 2 more wifi networks (but on different channels, so probably not an issue).
4) Rearranged hardware, so SoundBridge and PPC are usually in different rooms.
That last change makes it difficult to tell exactly what is happening. It is possible that I was having the same problem with PocketPC-SoundBridge connections a few months ago, but I didn't notice it because I could just pick up the IR remote to fix it. But I don't think so. I am pretty sure this connection problem happens more often now.
Anyway, if there is anything VisualMR could do to help with this - longer timeouts, automatic retries, whatever - that would be fantastic. Thanks for your help.