Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tal
Topic Author

Re: VisualMR SoundBridge timeout/connection problems

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 am

zuovo wrote:
Anyway, if there is anything VisualMR could do to help with this - longer timeouts, automatic retries, whatever - that would be fantastic. Thanks for your help. :)

That needs some more investigation since I haven't seen the problem in the way you describe it before. Please check your pm on how we can investigate this.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

Re: Shortcut to UPNP folder

Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:09 am

rob_cart wrote:
Hi, top class software - thanks

rob_cart wrote:
I was just wondering if you could make a shortcut to the a UPNP folder. as i have to click UPNP, then folders, then music, etc to get to my folder structure. I prefer to browse music this way rather than got through artists or albums.

Problem is that the path is probably different for different servers (including localisation). So there needs to be configuration, ...

Maybe in a first step I'll just add something like this to the skinning so that you can simply hack the skin and place your path into it.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

Re: VisualMR SoundBridge timeout/connection problems

Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:07 am

tal wrote:
That needs some more investigation since I haven't seen the problem in the way you describe it before. Please check your pm on how we can investigate this.

Hi zuovo,
I just saw that you still haven't read my forum-pmail. So maybe you aren't using the pmails here? In order to help you solve the problem with your PocketPC please check your forum messages (or just send me an email so that I have your email address, again).

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

VisualMR homepage moved to new provider

Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:34 am

Hi,

I just wanted to let you know, that I've moved my domain to a new provider which hopefully will be more reliable. Therefore there might be some temporare problems reaching my new homepage (especially email).

So in case you encounter any problems please try again later. I expect everything to be working as expected in the next one or two days.

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

Re: VisualMR homepage moved to new provider

Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:01 am

tal wrote:
Therefore there might be some temporare problems reaching my new homepage (especially email).

Just wanted to let you know that the transisition of tl-it.de to a new provider has succeeded and everything should be up to normal. In case you still have problems accessing the VisualMR pages at http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php please let me know.

Thorsten

Iris

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:44 pm

Respecting coverart, I know that VMR doesn't know the location of a track so it either gets the cover art image from the web or the CoverArt subdirectory. As a suggestion for the next release or thereafter what about being able to specify an alternate directory, a common directory where all Cover Art is stored. In the case of a PocketPC this would eliminate copying cover art images to the PPC.

In my case, I run both the PC and PPC versions and my songs are all stored on a NAS. I'm thinking that if this suggestion was implemented than I could have a subdirectory on the NAS with all the cover art and both versions could access it. I know my PC version would anyways and I'd have to figure out how to get my PPC to access a mapped drive.

Thoughts?

Iris
Roku M1001 v3.0.52 x 2 | R1000 v3.0.52
NAS: Maxtor SS+ v2.6.2-openmss1-rc2
Linux Server: Firefly svn-1586 mipsel pkg
Router: Linksys WRT54GS
VisualMR v2.0.0.28954 on iPAQ

miwu

Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:47 am

Hi Tal,

tal wrote:
tal wrote:
Therefore there might be some temporare problems reaching my new homepage (especially email).

Just wanted to let you know that the transisition of tl-it.de to a new provider has succeeded and everything should be up to normal. In case you still have problems accessing the VisualMR pages at http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php please let me know.

Thorsten

the "Deutsch"-Button does not work anymore for me.

Thanks for your great software!

Miwu

tal
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:49 am

miwu wrote:
the "Deutsch"-Button does not work anymore for me.

Thanks for your great software!

Miwu

Thanks for pointing it out (the cause was that my new provider uses a never version of php). I fixed it and switching languages on my homepage should now work as expected, again.

Thanks
Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:15 am

Iris wrote:
Respecting coverart, I know that VMR doesn't know the location of a track so it either gets the cover art image from the web or the CoverArt sub-directory. As a suggestion for the next release or thereafter what about being able to specify an alternate directory, a common directory where all Cover Art is stored. In the case of a PocketPC this would eliminate copying cover art images to the PPC.

In my case, I run both the PC and PPC versions and my songs are all stored on a NAS. I'm thinking that if this suggestion was implemented than I could have a sub-directory on the NAS with all the cover art and both versions could access it. I know my PC version would anyways and I'd have to figure out how to get my PPC to access a mapped drive.

In fact this is already possible with an - so far :wink: - undocumented feature: in the config.xml file you can manually specify a directory where cover art should be fetched from. Note that this is an 'advanced feature' for the computer savvy but if you are willing to deal with network sharing then editing the xml-file shouldn't be a problem for you :) .

To edit the config.xml file (located in the VisualMR directory - on PPCs this typically is "\Program Files\VisualMR") transfer it to your PC using ActiveSync or similar and edit it there (you can even use NotePad using drag'n'drop) and then copy it back to your PPC. Be sure that VisualMR isn't running on your PPC (using File/Exit) since it reads the config file only a startup and I would recommend keeping a backup copy of the file.

For example to read the cover art from a storage card you can add a path like this (of course StorageCard might be named different like "SD Card") to config.xml to the Misc-section.
CoverArtPath="\StorageCard\Cover" 

For network sharing you can of course not use the drive letter of the mapped drive since the PocketPC doesn't know about drive letters. Instead you must use the server name and the name of the share:
CoverArtPath="\\ServerName\CoverArt" 

Somehow I wasn't able to access my network from my PocketPC :( (probably a configuration issue) but I would expect this to be working. I would recommend trying to access the network from Pocket File Explorer first before editing the xml file. Only if File Explorer can (without querying for a username and password) access your network share then it should work in VisualMR, too.

Personally I use this feature only on the PC side for development purposes but I know one user uses it successfully on the PPC (for retrieving covers from the storage card).

Thorsten

Iris

Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:25 pm

tal wrote:
In fact this is already possible...

Thanks Thorsten for that heads-up! :D

Iris
Roku M1001 v3.0.52 x 2 | R1000 v3.0.52
NAS: Maxtor SS+ v2.6.2-openmss1-rc2
Linux Server: Firefly svn-1586 mipsel pkg
Router: Linksys WRT54GS
VisualMR v2.0.0.28954 on iPAQ

skipper

Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:01 am

Hi, I just downloaded and installed your program along with the .net framework and am anxious to try the program but there is a problem.

When I activate the program & hit the "control" button it connects to my SB (I know this because it goes form standby to active) then the program produces a pop-up saying:
An error occurred connecting to "SoundBridge"
Details: No Answer - Expected: "SoundBridge>"

I am running windows XP Pro version 2002, SP2
I installed the .net from the link on this thread (the package was created 9/17, 2 days ago)
My router is a linksys wireless router.

Actually, that is the message I get when I try it a second time. When I first run the program the error is:
An error occurred connecting to "SoundBridge"
Details: Communication with your SoundBridge failed: Timeout: 8016 vs. 8000(IrDispatch Command

(by the way, nice error messages, I have a staff of .net programmers working for me and their error messages generally say" Error".)

tal
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:10 am

skipper wrote:
When I activate the program & hit the "control" button it connects to my SB (I know this because it goes form standby to active) then the program produces a pop-up saying:

You're right - the first error indicates that VisualMR can connect to the SoundBridge but during wake-up something goes wrong in the SoundBridge and it isn't answering anymore. Therefore on the second try it can't connect to the SoundBridge because it won't answer at all.

There are a few things that might go wrong while waking up the SoundBridge (esp. with firmware V2.7 and earlier) and that might cause it to not respond anymore to RCP. To narrow down the problem could you please
1. (Soft)reset the SoundBridge (from its webpage or the system menu)
2. Using your remote let the SoundBridge play some music
3. Now try connecting VisualMR to your SoundBridge
I would recommend for the initial test to not run any other remote-control application at the same time (including RadioRoku website although I don't know of any compatibility issues)

BTW: Which SoundBridge firmeware and which music server are you using?

skipper wrote:
(by the way, nice error messages, I have a staff of .net programmers working for me and their error messages generally say" Error".)

Thanks :) I like to know whats happing esp. when I don't have a chance of remote debugging. But of course I prefer if there isn't any error at all :lol:

Thorsten

skipper

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:38 pm

thanks for getting back to me.
the software was 2.7, i just upgraded it to the latest along with new software (which is actually loading now)
so now after 5 minutes and 2 reboots...

Everything is working 100%

Thanks!!

tal
Topic Author

Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:14 pm

skipper wrote:
thanks for getting back to me.
the software was 2.7, i just upgraded it to the latest along with new software (which is actually loading now)
so now after 5 minutes and 2 reboots...

Everything is working 100%

Glad to hear that :D The SoundBridge probably was in a bad state already when trying to wake it up and it can happen that RCP stops working while the rest of the SoundBridge still responds normally.

Thorsten

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:20 am

Tal,

I notice that the RCP documentation has been update for the 3.0 firmware, and I`m wondering if that means that RCP now has some new abilities which you can utilise in future releases of VisualMR.

Have they given you anything nice to play with??? :D