Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tal
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:05 am

collett_steve@hotmail.com wrote:
I notice that the RCP documentation has been update for the 3.0 firmware, and I`m wondering if that means that RCP now has some new abilities which you can utilise in future releases of VisualMR.

Have they given you anything nice to play with??? :D

For me the most important addition was that now album songs can now be sorted according to the track by the SoundBridge so VisualMR doesn't need to do it which is much slower. And then there are additions around RadioRoku and some other small but helpfull improvemens. Lots of it is already in the current version of VisualMR (V1.6) when using it with a 3.0 firmware soundbridge.

I'm working on some bigger changes that take advantage of the new features but progress is currently slow since I currently can't afford to spend much time on VisualMR and the current version already does most of what I need it to do very well :)

Cheers
Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

rodney

Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Hi Thorsten. This is such a great application. Loaded it on my PC first and was so impressed I purchased a 2nd hand Pocket PC just to use with this app and my Roku/NSLU.
I love the cover art feature and am aware of your issues from getting the embedded cover-art from the song file to display. I read previously how a user can change the xlm file to point to a location eg CF on the PDA to get the cover-art jpg's. Do you know if there are any programs that specifically scan your MP3 files and can extract the cover art and name the jpg into one of your prefered formats? eg scan you drive for MP3's and extract the cover-art in to a prefered resolution size and also name the jpg in one of your formats eg "album.jpg"?
Not sure if there is a app out there to do this, if not do you think it would be easy for someone to knock up?
I know Im asking alot but keep up the great work, cant really see it getting much better though :D

Iris

Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:10 pm

rodney wrote:
Hi Thorsten. This is such a great application. Loaded it on my PC first and was so impressed I purchased a 2nd hand Pocket PC just to use with this app and my Roku/NSLU.
I love the cover art feature and am aware of your issues from getting the embedded cover-art from the song file to display. I read previously how a user can change the xlm file to point to a location eg CF on the PDA to get the cover-art jpg's. Do you know if there are any programs that specifically scan your MP3 files and can extract the cover art and name the jpg into one of your prefered formats? eg scan you drive for MP3's and extract the cover-art in to a prefered resolution size and also name the jpg in one of your formats eg "album.jpg"?
Not sure if there is a app out there to do this, if not do you think it would be easy for someone to knock up?
I know Im asking alot but keep up the great work, cant really see it getting much better though :D

I use MediaMonkey along with a script called "Album Art Tagger" written by Trixmoto that's available on the MediaMonkey forum. Although I've purchased the "Gold" version of MediaMonkey I'm pretty sure you can do this with the free version. The script not only creates the .jpg in the format required to be read by VMR but also saves it to the location of your choice. Good Luck.

Iris
Roku M1001 v3.0.52 x 2 | R1000 v3.0.52
NAS: Maxtor SS+ v2.6.2-openmss1-rc2
Linux Server: Firefly svn-1586 mipsel pkg
Router: Linksys WRT54GS
VisualMR v2.0.0.28954 on iPAQ

rodney

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:05 pm

Thanks for that Iris, Ill certainly give it a go especially as Media monkey is free

Niksie

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

First of all I want to thank you for all the time you are spending with helping people like me ;)

My problem : Visualmr found my soundbridge, but when I pushed the button " control sounbridge" I received the message :

" an error occurred while connection to Soundbridege

Details : No answer - expected : ' Soundbridge>' "

I have updated the firmware from my SB to the latest version and I have installed Microsoft .net framework 1.1 and microsoft.net framework 2.0 .

Do you have any suggestions what to do?

Thanx

tal
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:53 pm

Niksie wrote:
My problem : Visualmr found my soundbridge, but when I pushed the button " control sounbridge" I received the message :

I assume that you use the latest VisualMR (v1.6)?

It really seems like your SoundBridge is not responding at all for RCP controls. Sometimes the SoundBridges RCP communication crashes while otherwise it seems to still work fine. Therefore I would recommend rebooting your SoundBridge, start playing some music and then try connecting again.

An other source on a PC might be a firewall blocking outgoing calls on port 5555.

BTW: What are you using for running VisualMR? Win XP, Vista or a PocketPC ?

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:04 pm

rodney wrote:
Do you know if there are any programs that specifically scan your MP3 files and can extract the cover art and name the jpg into one of your prefered formats?

I don't know of any and hope that Iris hint to MediaMonkey will be of help for you. But I'll keep it in mind and see what I can do in that direction.

rodney wrote:
keep up the great work, cant really see it getting much better though :D

Thanks :) After over two years VisualMR is really quite mature, now ... nonetheless I have some big plans for for the next version (but it will take some time until it is done).

Thorsten

tal
Topic Author

PocketPC for VisualMR

Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:12 am

Hi,

from the emails I've received it seems like a quite a few people are thinking of buying a PocketPC after using VisualMR on their Windows PC before.

If you are using VisualMR on a PocketPC, please participate in the poll I've started in this thread:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15396
to help those who are looking into buying a PocketPC.

Please direct all postings regarding which PocketPC to use into that thread while we keep this thread for general VisualMR questions (no matter if standard Windows PC or PocketPC).

Thanks
Thorsten

Eben

VisualMR and Voice Recognition

Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:47 am

I have been using VisualMR on a Pocket PC HP IPAQ 111. I have MS voice recognition. It sure would be neat to be able integrate voice recognition with VisualMR.

Eben

Visual MR and M1001 Song queue

Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:58 am

I am using a Pocket pc HP 111 to control my M1001. I add songs to the Queue and after the last song in the queue is played, It seems that VisualMR and the M1001 loose control. VisualMR and the M1001 seem to lockup. This may even be a ROKU issue. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem.

Thanks
Eben

tal
Topic Author

Re: Visual MR and M1001 Song queue

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:19 am

Eben wrote:
I am using a Pocket pc HP 111 to control my M1001. I add songs to the Queue and after the last song in the queue is played, It seems that VisualMR and the M1001 loose control. VisualMR and the M1001 seem to lockup. This may even be a ROKU issue. I was wondering if anybody else is having this problem.

I haven't heard of that kind of problem before. What do you mean by "lockup" in VisualMR: Does VisualMR loose the connection to your SoundBridge (going back to the select SoundBridge/connect screen)?

Regarding the SoundBridge locking up (not responding to the remote): The only case I know of where such a thing could happen is not related to VisualMR but when using other RCP-software that accesses the SoundBridge's screen. Do you have such a software installed somewhere?

Finally: the SoundBridge sometimes gets into a wired state and rebooting it is always a good idea when something strange happens :)

Thorsten

Eben

Soundbridge locking up

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:41 am

I am thinking this is a soundbrige problem. When the soundbridge plays the last song in the queue, it goes into an uncontrolable state. (by Visual MR) I tried to use the soundbridge remote control, and it does not respond either. My only option is to reboot. I tested another soundbridge that I have and I seems to work fine. I am going to reset the soundbrige to factory setting and see if the makes a difference. Have you thought about adding a soundbridge reboot option to Visual MR program? It is quite often that I have to reboot the soundbridge.

Thanks

mashjones

Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:42 pm

Thorsten,
First off, hope your pre christmas project implemenation went well, or, if it's like many I am familiar with, perhaps you are still monitoring. You spoke of a next version of VisualMR. Any hint on when and what you are thinking of. I just got my hands on a bluetooth logitech dinovo edge and would like to see the program respond to key logical key presses for functions such as next, volume, mute.

But I should also say, great work once again.

Mashjones

gtrudell

VisualMR

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:49 am

I have downloaded VisualMR and it works very well. I like the album art feature, but I have a number of less popular albums that it cannot find on Amazon. I followed the naming instructions for the .jpg's that I do have (and put them in the required folder) and they still never seem to display. Is the file size a possibly a problem? Some that are used were scanned images which are pretty large.

Any suggestions?

airflow

a few feature-requests...

Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:59 am

Hi Thorsten,

a have a few suggestions for improvements for this otherwise great application.

1) Regarding the "auto-connect"-feature: As stated in your FAQ, this is only working when initially starting the program. I think it would be great if there would be also an option for VisualMR to automatically reconnect when the PocketPC is waking up (after falling asleep e.g. because you havent't used for some time). If you have a dedicated iPAQ for controlling the Roku, it's not nice if the enduser has to close/open programs or has to manually press the reconnect button.

2) I like the feature that a click on the album-art shows you the regarding page an amazon (e.g. to browse the user-comments etc). There are two flaws with that function: For some reason, it doesn't work with amazon.de, perhaps they changed the way they build their URLs. It works with amazon.com, though. The other thing I'd like to mention is that amazon offers a separate style/design of their page for use with mobile devices! I would much prefer these kind of pages, as they are adapted for the screen of the typical PocketPC (are easier to view), load much faster etc. It would be great if those would be used (or at least made optionally available by offering a configuration-option).

3) Probably this is technically not possible, but I'll ask anyway. I have never tried to use playlists with my Roku, this always was to much hassle for me. I like the way of building playlists with VisualMR very much, this is way I prefer this over all other alternatives to control the Roku SB. But it would be great if there was also a way to save the playlists somehow to recall them later. Once created and saved, it would then be possible to choose such a playlist also with the IR-control from the SB. I know that there is functionality in the UPnP-system to support this somehow, but I don't know if it's possible to make this working with VisualMR.

4) And finally a suggestion for the internet-radio part of the Roku's - as this functionality was much improved with the newer version of the SB-firmware, it would be cool if this could also be incorporated into VisualMR. Example: With RadioRoku, you have the possibility to create a list of "bookmarks" for the stations you like (Favorites) and easily choose them via the menus. I didn't find a way to choose one of them via VisualMR.

Thanks for your work so far!

Best Regards,
airflow