Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Aroah

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:01 pm

Tal, I just installed this on my Dell Axim X30i. You are a freaking genius!!! I am so impressed. It works terrific for me. Oh, I am using the .95 version since I have not installed the Roku beta software yet. I wont install it until it no longer is beta, I love my SB too much and am afraid it will stop working.

fhall1

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:30 am

Tal,

This app is really cool...and gets better every release. Any thought of maybe redesgning the layout (or makinga new skin) that incorporates a picture of the album cover for the song that's playing? Or maybe just add an "album art" button that puts a picture of the album cover where the buttons are...click the picture and it goes back to the button layout? Maybe it's not even possible to get the art from the server and I know there's not a lot of screen real estate there to work with, but it's a shame not to use the nice PPC color screens to their fullest.

drp

VisualMR 0.9.8SE does not work with SoundBridge 2.5 beta 6

Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:25 am

VisualMR 0.9.8SE does not work with SoundBridge 2.5 beta 6:

Here's the error -

An error occured while connecting to 'SoundBridge"

Details: The version of VisualMR needs at least a SoundBridge with firmware version 2.5.79 or above (detected firmware version is V2.5.116).

Any plans to support the latest beta - I do appreciate your tool!

David

cbertozz

THANKS

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi - I get the same error and it's a testament to how useful this product is that I feel like I've had a hand amputated!

Although I dont use it all the time, when we have friends round and music outside it is essential!

Any sign of an update?

tal
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:18 am

fhall1 wrote:
Any thought of maybe redesgning the layout (or makinga new skin) that incorporates a picture of the album cover for the song that's playing?

Displaying the cover art is something I have on my todo-list and will be added in the future.

Thanks to skinning the redesign would be quite easy :-) The problem is that I can't get the album cover via RCP but I'm thinking about a diffenrent solution until the Rocu protocoll supports this.

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

tal
Topic Author

Re: VisualMR 0.9.8SE does not work with SoundBridge 2.5 beta

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:23 am

drp wrote:
VisualMR 0.9.8SE does not work with SoundBridge 2.5 beta 6:

Sorry for the delay: I have been on holidays for the past two weeks and therefore wasn't able to update VisualMR in time for the beta6 but now I just uploaded V0.9.9 which contains some fixes including working with the latest beta (including beta7 just released).

I also plan releasing a real update for VisualMR soon with lots of improvements.

As usual you can download the latest version from
http://www.tl-it.de/media/pages/visualmr.php

This version is tested with beta 7 (2.5.126) but won't display a warning for future 2.5 versions since it seems that the changes to RCP for all 2.5 betas are not that big (at least not as big as I expected ;-) )

Thorsten
Easily control your SoundBridge from your Windows PC or wireless PocketPC with VisualMR

collett_steve@hotmail.com

Re: VisualMR 0.9.8SE does not work with SoundBridge 2.5 beta

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:48 am

tal wrote:
just uploaded V0.9.9 which contains some fixes including working with the latest beta (including beta7 just released).

I also plan releasing a real update for VisualMR soon with lots of improvements.

Thorsten

Thanks once again Thorsten. Cant wait to see the "real" update - VisualMR gets better and better, I couldn`t live without it now...

rvacha

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm

For what its worth, I was unable to simply install this over the existing install. I've had this problem with other apps as well, so I'm not sure you can deal with it. I had to manually delete the existing VisualMR exe from the device before the new version would install. Not sure if its my specific machine (iMate JAMin) or an issue with WM5 in general. Anyway, working great with Beta 7 - thanks again!!!!

Ray

rvacha

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:15 pm

Hum... Perhaps you could clarify for me Thorsten
I just attempted to install the PC version which according to your web site requires "the latest version of Microsoft's .NET Framework" When I try to run the install the VisualMR installer states "This setup requires the .NET Framework version 1.14322. Plase install the .NET..." Does this mean the app won't run under .NET Framework 2.0?

Ray

tal
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:11 am

rvacha wrote:
For what its worth, I was unable to simply install this over the existing install. I've had this problem with other apps as well, so I'm not sure you can deal with it. I had to manually delete the existing VisualMR exe from the device before the new version would install. Not sure if its my specific machine (iMate JAMin) or an issue with WM5 in general. Anyway, working great with Beta 7 - thanks again!!!!

I have no experience with WM5 but for all other plattforms simply reinstaling worked for me. Please note that you must terminate VisualMR before updating using File/Exit (and not simply use the close button from Windows Mobile because that doesn't shut down the application).

rvacha wrote:
Hum... Perhaps you could clarify for me Thorsten
I just attempted to install the PC version which according to your web site requires "the latest version of Microsoft's .NET Framework" When I try to run the install the VisualMR installer states "This setup requires the .NET Framework version 1.14322. Plase install the .NET..." Does this mean the app won't run under .NET Framework 2.0?

Seems like I need to update the text. Yes, VisualMR is a .Net 1.x application, not 2.0. I'm still a little hesitant to move to 2.0 because now .Net 1.x is part of most installations (XP SP2) but .Net 2.0 isn't. So if you install 2.0 and had 1.x already installed VisualMR should work (it does for me).

I once heard of problems before which seemed to me like the windows installer being quite picky (but I couldn't reproduce it). If you already have a working VisualMR installation on your PC I could simply email you the new exe to replace the current one (would be intresting to see if it's really only an installer problem). Otherwise please install the latest version of .Net V1 which should work side-by-side with 2.0 (seems like MS idea of compatibility is to allow side-by-side installations and not 2.0 being backward compatible to 1.x)

Thorsten

rvacha

Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 am

Thanks Thorsten-
I checked to see if VisualMR running by consulting the "Running Programs" section and it wasn't prior to the new install. When I intalled .NET 2.0 (a while ago) I eventually uninstalled .NET 1.1 I'll reinstall 1.1 and keep 2.0 installed

Thanks!
Ray

Alucard

Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:48 am

Thorsten,

First of all thanks for the update! Very nice to have this tool around again - I really missed it when I did the beta upgrade.

One issue which you may not be able to do anythign about, I don't know. My song library is 13,350 songs. One of my standard "fun" listening modes is to go to the Roku, browse by server container, load up all the songs, hit shuffle and then just take whatever the randomizer gives me.

Using your software on my PDA last night, whenever I tried to do this, it went away (with lots of network activity between my PDA and the netowrk, so I know it was doing lots of work) and then timed out before it completed. I assuming that you have some sort of timeout for the list to be downloaded and then you throw that error. Could you entend that timeout value? I believe the ROKU can store a playlist of 25,000 songs - it would be good if, over an 802.11b network, you allowed at least enough time for that amount of songs to download.

Like I said, not sure if this is possible, but I thought I would ask, just in case it is...

tal
Topic Author

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:10 am

Alucard wrote:
One issue which you may not be able to do anythign about, I don't know. My song library is 13,350 songs. One of my standard "fun" listening modes is to go to the Roku, browse by server container, load up all the songs, hit shuffle and then just take whatever the randomizer gives me... I believe the ROKU can store a playlist of 25,000 songs - it would be good if, over an 802.11b network, you allowed at least enough time for that amount of songs to download.

Please pm/email me more details about your problem and I'll look into it. Especially I need to know:
- which music server are you using
- what are the steps you perform in VisualMR
- what is the exact error message you'll receive
- you are using VisualMR 0.9.9 on the same PC the music server is running?

Thanks
Thorsten

chrisloker

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:38 am

I've been using your application pretty much exclusively. A couple of issues -

1. Can't download list of songs it times out and resets (I believe as in previous post).

2. Would be nice if it was set to wait longer to reconnect. My example would be my PocketPC powers off. When I power it back on it takes 3-4 seconds to re-establish the wifi connection. In that time your program sees the connection is lost and goes back to the connect screen. Could it wait and try to reconnect without going back to the home screen.

These are in addition to really needing to go back/forward as you can in folders (as I noted in previous post and you mentioned you were working on).

Thanks for the great little program.

tal
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:00 am

chrisloker wrote:
1. Can't download list of songs it times out and resets (I believe as in previous post).

For the next release I've increased some timeouts but I'm not sure that this will be sufficient for all servers. It seems like some servers (especially Twonky 3) have some real performance problems which in my opinion should be fixed on the server side.

Increasing the timeouts significantly isn't a good solution since for most users the timeouts are already rather large. Therefore I'm planning a smarter solution for the future (but not for the next release).

chrisloker wrote:
Could it wait and try to reconnect without going back to the home screen.

That's quite difficult to do. The main problem is that when the connection is broken and one reconnects to the SoundBridge every information retrieved so far is useless since RCP is a state-dependent protocol. In RCP there is no way to resume a session.
There are more problems involved. Anyway I've added this to my todo-list but I don't think I will make it soon.

chrisloker wrote:
These are in addition to really needing to go back/forward as you can in folders (as I noted in previous post and you mentioned you were working on).

In the next release there will be a "Back" button for going back through the history of forms selected using the "View"-Menu (or of course the corresponding button).

Thorsten