Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

laspero
Topic Author

iBridge - Full function RCP for Windows with iTunes Support

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:09 pm

Full function control of your SoundBridge from Windows desktop. Includes iTunes database support.

http://ibridge.sourceforge.net/

iBridge allows you to control your Roku SoundBridge from your Windows desktop. It should work with both the release and beta versions of the SoundBridge firmware. However, NowPlaying Insert and Clear functions will only work using the beta versions.

iBridge allows quick access to your playlists and albums. Simply click on a playlist or album and the tracks are displayed. Double click on an album or playlist and it will be queued on the SoundBridge and begin to play.

Push buttons are available for Stop, Play, Pause, Next, Previous, Shuffle, and Repeat.

The currently playing songs information is continually updated.

The now playing queue is displayed with a check mark next to the currently playing song. Double click on a song and the SoundBridge will switch to that track. Detailed information about each song in the now playing queue can be retrieved at the push of a button. Beware that it updates at about 4 tracks per second. It will stop you from updating when there are more then 200 songs to protect you from yourself. Yes I will make that a configurable option in the future.

Double clicking on a song in either the playlist song list or album song list will queue the entire list of songs and start playing at the double clicked track. If Insert is selected (by enabling the �Insert� check box) then double clicking will append that track to the now playing queue. The is true for double clicking on playlist or albums in insert mode. Beware, that insert mode is much slower.

For those of you who use iTunes as your server, you can optionally connect to your iTunes library (hence the reason for calling this app iBridge). You can browse your iTunes library very quickly by genre, artist, title as you would in iTunes and select songs to play. These songs are inserted into the now playing queue. This feature uses the new InsertNowPlaying commands in the SoundBridge beta. It will not work in the release versions. Inserted songs from the iTunes form will show in the now playing queue at the end. However if you are in shuffle mode, who knows where the songs will actually be placed. A manual refresh of the now playing queue will be required.

To get started, download ( iBridge.zip) the iBridge software. No installation program is included or needed. You are downloading only a small executable. Put it wherever you wish. An xml file will be created with your configuration information in the executing directory. This is a Dot Net 2.0 application so make sure you have that software loaded from Microsoft.

Make sure you configuration the IP address of your SoundBridge in the configuration page (Commands->Configure). When the application starts it will use the currently selected server or attach to the server you configure. The �default server� configuration option allows you to choose which server is automatically connected. This is a number where 0 is the first server, 1 is the second, and so on.

If you wish to use the iTunes library then you must include a path to your iTunes XML library. The default path is C:\Documents and Settings\You\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml. Press the default button on the configuration screen and it should find this default path for you.

After you have configured your SoundBridge IP address the very first time you run the application, either restart the iBridge will automatically connect you, or use the commands->connect option.

Enjoy,

Larry
Last edited by laspero on Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mebby

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:48 am

I'll give this a shot when I get home from work today. Looks great!

Are you able to browse your library by genre or artist in addition to playlist and album?

Thanks
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

laspero
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:46 pm

You can browse by Genre, Artist, Album using the iTunes database interface. Otherwise the generic server interface currently only supports browing by playlist and album. However, the next release will allow further browse functionality.

bpmcgee

Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Larry,

I get a security error when iBridge tries to write the config file.

"Application attempted to perform an operation not allowd by the security profile <blah blah>"

How do I adjust the security policy for .net 2.0?

Brian

mebby

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:11 pm

I seem to be having trouble connecting to my server.

The application starts up fine and finds my SoundBridge fine (after I set the IP address) and it sees the server just fine but it seems to hang upon connecting to the server. All I see is the hour glass and I don't ever get a listing of my playlists or albums...

Is there some sort of log I can take a look at to determine the issue?

HD1000 wired

laspero
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:31 pm

I haven't tested the application with anything other then an iTunes Server.
You can view what is happening by choosing the view->messages command.

Have you tried connecting to a iTunes server?

mebby

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:43 pm

I figured out my problem. I had to install .Net 2.0 and I never rebooted my computer. Once I rebooted it worked very well with WMC.

This application has a lot of promise. It works very well. I'm very impressed!

I think to make it an integral part of my environment I would need the ability to browse by genre and artist but you've already stated that this will be available with future releases so I'm excited.

A "nice to have feature" (but not necessary) would be the ability to reorder the song queue by drag and drop or something similar.

If you are able to add both of those then I couldn't imagine needing anything else.

The application is very fast and efficient and seems to work flawlessly with the SoundBridge.

Again - I'm very impressed and am very much looking forward to the next release... I'll be glad to do any testing for you.

HD1000 wired

laspero
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:29 pm

I'm glad you got it to work. I did some testing with WMC and as far as I can tell it is working fine with that now. I added my media files to WMC but I don't know how to deal with playlist so I have none to test with it.

Reordering the now playing queue would be nice but I don't believe you can specify a new position on insert. NowPlayingInsert will only allow you to add a song to the end of the queue. You can remove an item from the queue and that will come soon. I will also allow you to use multiselect in that feature to remove several at a time. I haven't decided if I will use a right click context menu or add another button. I'd like to keep the interface uncluttered so I'm not a fan of another button. But the keep it simple for the wife factor means adding a button.

Versions 1.1.1 L1 is now up with a few bug fixes.

Enjoy,

Larry

laspero
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:32 pm

bpmcgee

If you receive a security violation when trying to write the XML file then make sure you have write permission on the directory where iBridge is running. It will try to write the iBridge.xml file to that same directory.

bpmcgee

Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:17 pm

I've got rights to it, but the .NET framework is disallowing it. I think you can duplicate this by trying to run your object from a share not local to your computer.

Brian

laspero
Topic Author

Version 1.2.1 Available

Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 pm

iBridge 1.2.1 is now available. Full browsing of Genre, Artist, and Album can be performed. Select on a Genre and Aritst, Album, and Songs are automatically and updated to reflect your selection. Click on an Artist and further filtering is done.

Download at http://ibridge.50megs.com/

You need the Beta 5 SoundBridge firmware for this release.

You can see the songs in a selected playlist or all the songs on your server. Filtering can not be done on playlist, just entire library.

Songs can be added to currently playing queue by double clicking or selecting a range of songs. Use control and mouse click to select songs in the order you want then queue those songs. Songs can either by inserted into the now playing queue or the entire queue can be replaced.

Internet Radio Stations are also now supported. Now playing screen will show information about the current station, song, and playlistURL.

Let me know if you are using it and if you like it or not.

enjoy,

Larry

mebby

Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:32 pm

Larry,
Using it and LOVING it. Great job man! I've been waiting on someone to develop something like this ever since Roku released their control protocol documentation and you've nailed it.

All the necessary functionality (for me) is there in this release. I really like how responsive the software is (or rather how quickly it communicates with the SoundBridge).

There are only a few tweaks that I can think of to make the software any better:

- Add a way to set default options such as defaulting the the queue mode to insert and whether or not to start up maximized (for some reason the program doesn't open up maximized).

- Display cover art. This could either be pulled from the server or from the internet. Pulling from the internet could be slow and having the right folder structure may be necessary for the program to find the cover art file.

The two above tweaks are just that - tweaks... again, great job.

HD1000 wired

laspero
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 pm

mebby, thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad you enjoy it. I think that being able to do this shows the Roku has done a great job with RCP and their enhancements in version 2.5.

I'll be glad to ability to add some more default settings. Cover art is an interesting idea. I don't think we can pull art using Roku RCP. I know how to do it from iTunes using the COM SDK. Not sure what other methods there are. Perhaps someone else already has done implemented some software to pull cover art from a server via Roku or directly.

I've noticed on my M1001 that the SoundBridge doesn't respond well to the remote control after I use iBridge. It seems to be a bit lost and I fumble through a few menus before it finally fixes itself. I haven't tried isolating the cause of the problem. Let me know if you see the same problem.

And... Go Panthers

enjoy,

Larry

mebby

Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:54 am

Larry - I did notice that problem as well last night. I'll continue testing at length to let you know of other issues I come across.

I also noticed that it doesn't seem to work with the Rhapsody server. It sees the server but I never displays any of the songs.

HD1000 wired

laspero
Topic Author

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:05 pm

iBridge Version 1.2.2 now available with Album Art, more startup configuration options, and a few bug fixes.

enjoy,

Larry