Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gcd0865
Topic Author

Disappearing System Tray Icons / Slow Startup and UPnP

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:29 am

Hi All:

Since I set up my M1001 two weeks ago (including updating to 2.5.88 beta), I've been having trouble with very slow startup (now several minutes long) of my computer (Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop, WinXP Pro w/SP2) and disappearing system tray icons. In case anyone else might be having the same problem, I've located a web page that seems to describe both problems and possible fixes:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSystray.htm

The problems appear to be associated with the order of startup items, or the order that icons are displayed in the system tray upon startup, on the computer after UPnP is activated (which I recently did to get my M1001 working through Windows Media Connect).

After reading the article at the above link, I killed and restarted Windows Explorer, following the steps near the bottom of this web page under the entry "2005-10-11" by Vivek Tanna:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to get Task Manager
2. In Processes click on explorer.exe and click on the End task button
3. Select the command File, Run and type in: explorer (or alternatively click on the Applications tab, then on the lower right button, New task ... and enter explorer there)

This brought back all of my missing icons instantly, so I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having the same problem. I'll probably study some of the other recommended fixes about the slow startup problem, and maybe try one or more of them.

Hope this is helpful to somebody out there...

Burkhardi

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 pm

Are you using WMC to server your music?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

GaryGnu

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:11 pm

Thanks for this post. This has been occuring on my computer and I had no idea it was the Roku causing it. Before reading your message I was able to stop the problem by not auto loading the HP startup software for my printer. I guess there is some type of conflict between that and the UPnP.

BTW, I use iTunes.

gcd0865
Topic Author

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:37 pm

Yep, I'm using WMC to serve up music.

Just to clarify, it's not actually the Roku that is causing this problem at all; rather the activation of UPnP on the computer...

Burkhardi

Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:56 am

gcd0865 wrote:
Yep, I'm using WMC to serve up music.

Just to clarify, it's not actually the Roku that is causing this problem at all; rather the activation of UPnP on the computer...

I have been having simular issues. I found that not letting WMC auto launch and doing it manual myelf has fixed it. However, fixed is not the word I should use, make it not happen is more like it...
To fix it, auto launch would still work..LOL (enter your post, it may fix it)

I am a little scared to try something with the registry, but I may follow the info in the link you posted. I am just shocked it's not more common knowlege then it is.

I went to the WMC forum (www.wmcplayer.com) and didn't get much info on this and was going to post a question and then I saw your post here. I didn't have this issue with WMC V1, just V2 of WMC (at least. i don't recall it with V1)

There is a lot of info in that link, I may have to print it out so I can read it and digest the info.

Thanks for taking the time to post it. matt
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Burkhardi

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:38 pm

Worked great. Thanks!
After reading it, I saw there was no editing that I need to do..Gotta like it.