Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

frethop
Topic Author

New version posted of SBC: A Java-based Controller

Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:48 pm

This message announces the release of SBC version 0.9a2. SBC -- for SoundBridgeController -- is a controller application for a Roku SoundBridge. SBC is written in Java and has been run on Linux, Solaris, MacOS X, and Microsoft Windows.

This is the second alpha release of SBC. Please be gentle. But I would greatly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

You can pick up the software at

http://www.frethop.com/SBC.zip

The software is packaged as an executable JAR file, so no installation is needed. It comes with a README and a set of known issues. Please check the README first.

The controller has some nice features. It will discover your SoundBridge if you don't know the IP address. It has hooks for idle displays -- like the weather and headlines -- and I'm working on allowing user-defined idle "daemons" written in Java that interface with my SoundBridge API. And it has some "because I could" features: capture the SB display, scroll a message, display a graphic image, etc.

Please check out the software and let me know what you think. Many thanks in advance!

-F

P.S. Please send any comments or questions to "[url=mailto:sbc@frethop.com]sbc@frethop.com[/url]". Thanks!

mebby

Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Loving the application. Great job!

Can you remind me again what the "All?" checkbox is for again?

In your issues list you say that the volume and time bars are tiny on Macs. I'm running Windows XP and the time bar is tiny for me. Interesting though - when I set the volume to anything less than 100 the time bar comes back to full size.

Loving all the "becase you can" features. It's the simple things that make geeks happy. :D

You mention in the Readme file that you can use the SB to display RSS feeds when not playing music. How do you do this?

Thanks
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

brh

oops!

Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:02 am

Well after reading the last poster's comments about the 'because you can' features, which I hadn't actually noticed (aside from the screen grab) on the first version, I realized I hadn't right-clicked and discovered a few things that I should have. ( :oops: )

With that in mind, here are my thoughts on.. this version.. and things I didn't notice before. :)

First off, I apologize for requesting a power on/off control when I now see that it clearly existed in the first version. So I'm happy that's there.

Mebby said that the time display goes to the right size if the volume gets flipped below 100 (under XP). I also was able to get both bars to pop to the right side (under Mac OS) when I was fiddling around with 'player size' but that only happened once, they both popped back to the tiny size, and I haven't yet been able to reproduce the pop-to-correct-size again. Additionally, this was the first I saw the time progress or even knew that's what it was supposed to be. I just thought it was kind of there to let you know if it was buffering or not. But it looked nice when it was the right size! :)

As for player size, I see no difference in 'medium' and 'small.' Also, I just noticed that the window is resizable, but the boxes don't really change size.

As for the queue management, it does sort of work. I played around with the first release and this one and the management does work, just not very reliably. Not sure how to reproduce success or failure yet. But I'm sure this is something complicated with RCP..

When I go for a screen cap now, it looks the size of an M2000, but nothing appears.

I like the blue color scheme a lot better. I myself would prefer both boxes to be the light blue, separated by the borders as they are now. However, if you're using the strong contrasting backgrounds for better visibility on the 770 or something, that's completely understandable.. Maybe a user setting somehow?

Along these lines, I would like to see a more unified set of icons.. a set that all match, and match the color scheme somehow, or something like that.. but a unified looking set of buttons would be great. Of course these would all have to be made to be visible on a broad range of displays.

I greatly appreciate the numerical volume indicator.. maybe if this was an editable text box (like the web page) it would be nice, and a temporary workaround for the slider issue.

I also greatly (greatly) appreciate the artist/song in the title. Makes it very elegant to see what's on the radio with a mouseover, instead of calling open the whole window.

So, hope that was gentle enough. Program is making great progress!

-brian

frethop
Topic Author

Thanks for the feedback

Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:14 am

Thanks for the quick and complete (and gentle) feedback. Let me answer a couple of comments.

++ The "All?" checkbox allows a search to be performed across tracks, albums, and artists.
++ SBC can't do RSS feeds (yet) but will support a plug-in interface for 3rd party idle daemons. I'll be publishing the interface for that.
++ As stated in the README, I'm still working on those crazy tiny-and-not-useful controls, especially on the Mac.
++ There is no "small" controller size! It's on the menu, because I'd like to allow a skinned, custom small size. On the list.
++ I don't have an M2000, so I'm guessing about the screen cap. I might send some test code and allow some folks to perform some experiments.

Thanks again for all the comments. It's getting better.

-F

gskarp

Can't Connect with the SB

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:09 am

I tried several times, rebooted, even entered the IP address. Couldn't get the app to see my device. I know it was connected and seen on the network since I could control it with the Widget and with the web interface.

RussNoble

Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:31 am

Stupid Question, How do I execute this under Linux?
================================
2 x SB1000 + Linksys Slug + 2 x XBMC + AMX for Media Interface

frethop
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:21 am

On Windows, you simply double click on the JAR file. I think this works on Macs too.

On Linux, you execute the command "java -jar SBC.jar". Obviously, you need the right path for SBC.jar; the string here assumes it's in the current directory.

-F

mebby

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm not able to get the application to properly connect to and control the Rhapsody server. It sees it and seems to connect to it fine but shows no genre, playlist, artist, etc... Any ideas?

Works great on my WMC server!

HD1000 wired

mcfh

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:55 am

mebby,
I think this is a Rhapsody limitation - someone had a similar problem with Tal's app...

Mark
M2000, M1000 & R1000 on iTunes and XP SP2
Integrate your Soundbridge with Windows

mebby

Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:50 am

Thanks. Interestingly enough though I can use Cidero (www.cidero.com) perfectly with Rhapsody.

Since Cidero and SBC are both java applications I figured they would both interact with Rhapsody in a similar manner...

HD1000 wired

frethop
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:15 am

To be honest, SBC uses UPnP protocols only to discover SoundBridges. It uses RCP to control the SoundBridge. I never considered controlling other things.

I imagine the Rhapsody server is UPnP controllable. It would appear in the discover dialog of SBC, but SBC would not be able to control it.

-F

blubalu

Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:10 am

Anyone got SBC working on Mac OSX? I just downloaded version 1.1.
I'm running Mac OSX 10.4.10, Java 1.5.0.

When I double click SBC.jar I get the dialog for discovering a SoundBridge, it shows my Soundbridge, but after selecting it nothing happens any more, the same happens when entering the IP address directly.

obvioustroll

Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:55 pm

I see the same thing with sbc.jar; if I run it from the command line, I can see the errors:

java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1
at SoundBridge.listVisualizers(SoundBridge.java:612)
at SoundBridgeUIstd.<init>(SoundBridgeUIstd.java:429)
at SoundBridgeController.<init>(SoundBridgeController.java:32)
at SoundBridgeController.main(SoundBridgeController.java:194)

I'm also running 10.4.10, and Java 1.5.
blubalu wrote:
Anyone got SBC working on Mac OSX? I just downloaded version 1.1.
I'm running Mac OSX 10.4.10, Java 1.5.0.

When I double click SBC.jar I get the dialog for discovering a SoundBridge, it shows my Soundbridge, but after selecting it nothing happens any more, the same happens when entering the IP address directly.

blubalu

Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:47 am

Yes, I can confirm this again. Same error messages here.
And now? :)

buchanan

Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:22 pm

After a little probing with a decompiler, it appears to me that the method to get the list of visualizers is expecting a value list followed by an "OK" from the SB. What I see running RCP via telnet is a list followed by "ListResultEnd". Since the expected response isn't seen the return value is empty and the caller chokes. Maybe a change in RCP since the program was written?

What I see looks consistent across OSX and Linux (I don't do Windows), and Roku firmware 2.7 and 3.0. It seems an update to the software will be necessary to correct this.